Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #99
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
bring back the G8...as a CAPRICE!?!?!?!

wtf

Why not Chevelle lol.

Bring it back as the El Camino ffs.

A CAPRICE!?!?!...that name is synonomous with taped down doors and squealing brakes.

bleh...bring it back under a different name like...

...idk...G8

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #100
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yes, cost is a big factor.. However you feel the V8 is safe, even if a more fuel efficient, same power in HP and Torque, gets created for the mainstream camaro and other cars? I do believe that the V8 will live on longer in more expensive vehicles like the corvette where conservative enthusiasts would simply walk away from anything but an 8. However the Camaro market doesn't need a V8 to survive sad to say even though most of us may disappear if one is not offered in the future. THe Camaro's best selling model will be the cheaper ones, and a 4 cylinder Camaro will be the cheapest and probably sell the most if offered since the crowd that most can afford a 4 cylinder Camaro would be High School kids and college kids with average money.. It takes about 5 to 10 years of hard work to be able to afford a $30,000 car as well as insurance and have a mortgage and kids at the same time.. If you are single and living at home at the age of thirty, owning a $30,000 and even a $40,000 car is much easier if you have a full-time job and your parents pay for everything else... Blur, you are correct that money has a lot to do with everything..That is way the V8 SS is priced at $30,000 since anything higher would not compete against the Mustang GT.. I do believe GM is headed in the wrong direction simply because of who they will be hiring to replace the elder retirees who are being offered very nice packages... It is sad for me to say this but I do see some major changes in GM's lineup that will be there simply to promote a change in the way we all view smaller more fuel efficient cars while they slowly make it harder for us to buy the larger gas guzzling V8's...Hence the purpose would be to faze them out slowly but surely..
If the Camaro weighed in at 3000 or less then the base engine would be a no brainer. Show me a 4 banger moving a 3800 lb behemoth that would even be able to get out of its own way. While we have it available and gas is less than $3 the SS is still going to be the sales leader ......period. This new car we all know and love needs to go on a serious diet to not overtax these engines of the future
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #101
bulldog

Drives: Acura
looking at the picture with Bob Lutz with the 5th gen behind him, what blue is that? That isnt IBM and it doesnt look like Aqua Blue Metallic as it doesnt appear to be teal enough.
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #102
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
Jeez, Bob, if competing with yourself is such a bad idea, why the hell haven't you axed GMC yet? I mean at least between all the copycat passenger car lines there's at least some trim differences, the trucks are identical. A CTS-V wagon? Sure, if it'll run with the E63 AMGs. Oh, wait, people want things like nav and decent interiors, too, that'll take a decade of R&D right there. Z/28? If all it was going to be was that POS cosmetics package we barfed over last time you can keep it.
GMC is GM's second best selling division with a very loyal customer base. Not only that, but it is GM's most profitable division. In case you haven't noticed, GMC is starting to move away from Chevy in terms of exterior design.

Any V-series CTS can destroy an E63 AMG and an M5. No problem.

Navigation and decent interiors are already in GM vehicles. Just look to the Malibu, CTS, Lambda crossovers, Theta crossovers, GMT-900 trucks, and the 2010 LaCrosse for examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
looking at the picture with Bob Lutz with the 5th gen behind him, what blue is that? That isnt IBM and it doesnt look like Aqua Blue Metallic as it doesnt appear to be teal enough.
It looks to be Aqua Blue Metallic. Lighting's probably throwing off the color.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #103
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I agree, that looks like ABM to me. I don't think that's hinting at any future color.

I'm still completely unconvinced GMC buyers wouldn't buy an otherwise identical Chevy vehicle just because of the sole difference of exterior and interior styling, but that's a topic for a different thread.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #104
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
If the Camaro weighed in at 3000 or less then the base engine would be a no brainer. Show me a 4 banger moving a 3800 lb behemoth that would even be able to get out of its own way. While we have it available and gas is less than $3 the SS is still going to be the sales leader ......period. This new car we all know and love needs to go on a serious diet to not overtax these engines of the future
3000lbs or less? What are you talking about? Even the Z06 is almost 3200 and it's made of aluminum, balsa wood and carbon fiber, has two seats and costs $70,000.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #105
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
3000lbs or less? What are you talking about? Even the Z06 is almost 3200 and it's made of aluminum, balsa wood and carbon fiber, has two seats and costs $70,000.

I meant 3200 but still the car would be sweeter if it weighed 3400. ILO 3800

I could not imagine a turbo4 cyl in a camaro
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #106
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I've been through the whole thread ... and I'm just devastated, hopeless ...

We won't have a 500hp+ camaro ... Chevy lost the war, Ford won.

Congrats to Ford, I'll go probably for a GT500 ...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #107
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Or you can just have some professional shop (like Hennessy, but trustworthy) build it for you.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #108
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
The turbo 4cyl that is in the Solstice GXP can achieve 300+ hp with a tune....soooo, if you replaced the current 6 cyl w/ a turbo 4 that is tuned on the performance side...you *might* reduce the weight a bit and still have the same power. If there wasn't any noticeable difference in power, then would it be so bad to have a 4 cyl in a Camaro? And what if you could slap a turbo on the current V6 and get it up to 400+ hp....would that be so bad? I agree the V8 has a nice nostalgic feel to it and it really gives you feeling of top dog performance, but if I could get the same power/torque from a v6 with the small chance of better mpg, then I probably wouldn't mind having the v6.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #109
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I've been through the whole thread ... and I'm just devastated, hopeless ...

We won't have a 500hp+ camaro ... Chevy lost the war, Ford won.

Congrats to Ford, I'll go probably for a GT500 ...
I don't think our goose is cooked yet

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #110
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Though I understand it's not easy to carry a conversation on about a subject like this without political comments, please refrain from using any. We're not going down that road.

Respectfully...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #111
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Except these four cylinder cars aren't emasculated slow-mobiles....iron duke...*shudders*

I'm not sure what I'm thinking...but without a massive-output V8...I wonder if the SS and Z28 nameplates might switch "back"...with SS being the high-powered straight line car, and the Z28 being a moderately-powered track car, and the base Camaro being a "low" powered (I still maintain the current V6 is NOT low-powered) everyday car. This is pure speculation, and absolutely baseless...I'm just wondering.

this. you guys thinking the Z28 was going to go up against the GT500 in terms of HP were wrong.

i wasnt alive in the 60's but i'm pretty sure it went like this, if you wanted to run on a road coarse you bought the z28. if you were after the 1/4 and stop light racing you went with the SS
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
you guys are missing the point...