Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
^Completely disagree. I have had lots of with other people in the car while driving and it doesn't distract me. if I need to concentrate harder I just tell them to wait a bit.
I completely agree. Having a cell phone conversation is no more distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car with you. At least it isn't for me anyway...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
We've got a law in place in NY that makes it illegal to hold your your phone to your face, basically. It's dumb - but it has saved lives. How?

Because everybody has limits. I know I can talk on my phone in the car. (not sure how...because I'm a law abideing citizen ) But others may not be able to. It's not bad, or pathetic. Everybody is a little different. So when one of you says it's easy; and the other says it's hard. It's all subjective to who's saying it.

The people who can't do it in our state now have a law 'preventing' them from doing it. Those who can - well, we just needed to go out and buy a bluetooth earpiece.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Right...there's two types of people...

1. Those that can drive and talk on the phone at the same time....and
2. Those that think they can drive and talk on the phone at the same time...

At least w/ the bluetooth, this allows for the second driver to have both hands on the wheel when they crash...(cause either way, they can't do two things at once). If I'm talking to people via my bluetooth headset while I'm driving, I tell them to hold off for a second if I have to. Simple...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #18
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I'm just going to throw this out there. Has anyone tried holding a phone to your ear while trying to steer and shift gears?

Let's face it, using Bluetooth may not be as safe as just not talking on the phone at all, but it sure is a DRASTIC improvement.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #19
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there. Has anyone tried holding a phone to your ear while trying to steer and shift gears?

Let's face it, using Bluetooth may not be as safe as just not talking on the phone at all, but it sure is a DRASTIC improvement.
I drive only automatic so that's not an issue. But I doubt anyone could steer, shift and talk all at the same time.

While I don't talk that often in my car, I do like the idea of bluetooth to make it easier.

Besides, it's law now in NJ that you can't hold the phone and drive. Not that that really stops me if I need to make a call. My calls rarely go over 2 or 3 minutes at most.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
What would be really nice is if they worked with Apple or something to rival that whole Ford/Microsoft SYNC stuff, and threw a hard drive into the Camaro, which you could sync with iTunes via bluetooth, or plugging in your laptop, computer, or iPod.

Although that one's pretty far fetched, it's still nice to dream about.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

The new CTS does have a 20-some gig HDD in the car..... So they're doing it somewhere.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #22
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I drive only automatic so that's not an issue. But I doubt anyone could steer, shift and talk all at the same time.
Heh, I've done it a few times, and I can attest to the tricky manuevering necessary. You have to be able to shift very quickly and jump your hand back to the wheel before you steer too far out of your lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What would be really nice is if they worked with Apple or something to rival that whole Ford/Microsoft SYNC stuff, and threw a hard drive into the Camaro, which you could sync with iTunes via bluetooth, or plugging in your laptop, computer, or iPod.

Actually, that's not too far-fetched at all. All the technology exists and is readily available. It's really only a question of cost. Enough people have to want it and be willing to pay for it in order for it to be worth incorporating into their design.

My guess is that GM is sitting back and watching the market response to Ford's Sync before taking any action on developing their own system.

I don't think I'd like controlling my music with my voice. I have enough difficulty with using voice dial on my phone, and I have a pretty normal voice.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
EllwynX

Quote:

From what little I've seen I like the Sync. I just commented to a friend last night during a commercial that it's too bad it's Ford only. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in GM's vehicles. But, please, nothing Apple/iPod specific. not everyone has or likes the iPod. It should be generic and easily used with any MP3 player.

(Though I will admit the iPod Touch is a VAST VAST VAST improvement over every horrible iPod that came before it. I would probably actually purchase an iPod Touch, but nothing else Apple.)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:

If Apple has anything to do with the Camaro, it would end up costing $200,000, would be slower than a Geo Metro, would only run on 10% of the roads, would be locked from getting any aftermarket upgrades, and we would all be sued for talking about it before it is released, yet we would still buy it because the cult leader told us to, after we drank our kool-aid.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Right...there's two types of people...

1. Those that can drive and talk on the phone at the same time....and
2. Those that think they can drive and talk on the phone at the same time...

At least w/ the bluetooth, this allows for the second driver to have both hands on the wheel when they crash...(cause either way, they can't do two things at once). If I'm talking to people via my bluetooth headset while I'm driving, I tell them to hold off for a second if I have to. Simple...
Nope, these are the two types of people:

1. Those who think they can talk on the phone and drive at the same time
2. Those who nearly die every day as they drive home from work trying to dodge all the idiots in group 1.

I have never once seen someone drive at reasonable speed and talk on the phone at the same time without being a major hazard.

The difference between talking on the phone and talking to other people in the car is that
1. people in the car provide extra sets of eyes and
2. people in the car see when extra concentration is needed and should either shut up or help you out.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham

You apparently haven't seen me drive....

And, don't forget, if Apple was involved with Camaro - every new release will hurt the previous model...but they'll fix it, and try again in about a month...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I see the use of bluetooth headsets as something akin to seat belts. Will it help? yes. Is there a better answer? yes. The better solution to seat belts, which can be used with them, is the airbag. For staying in touch with others while in the car, its stopping and pulling over. It has been shown that people talking on cell phones is at least as bad as driving drunk, though you can stop talking on a cell (hands free or not) but you can't stop being drunk. Here is one of the best discussions of one of the studies I have found http://www.cellular-news.com/story/18083.php
Here is the original publication, done by a professor from the University of Utah: http://www.hfes.org/Web/PubPages/celldrunk.pdf
Plus there was one done by a professor from the University of Toronto, and one done by Mythbusters, and that was only on the first page of google results. all came to the same conclusion.

Using a hands free device and telling the person on the other end of the line is better than holding a cell and continuing the conversation, but it far worse than not talking at all.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-22-2007, 03:56 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
But I doubt anyone could steer, shift and talk all at the same time.
I did it all the time. Not hard to do at all. You just have to be really fast at it. And, the knee helps in this time as well...oh...and NO shifting while turning. You finish the turn in whatever gear you're in. Left hand on phone, right on steering wheel, push in clutch (knee holds wheel), quick shift w/ right hand, and rt hand goes right back on the wheel. It's actually really easy. BUT...I didn't like doing it at all. Too much going on and attention to driving was more important. Hence, my picking up of the bluetooth. 1000 times safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
Bluetooth is safer....allowing for both hands on the wheel for evasive manuvers, etc. MUCH safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Nope, these are the two types of people:

1. Those who think they can talk on the phone and drive at the same time
2. Those who nearly die every day as they drive home from work trying to dodge all the idiots in group 1.

I have never once seen someone drive at reasonable speed and talk on the phone at the same time without being a major hazard.

The difference between talking on the phone and talking to other people in the car is that
1. people in the car provide extra sets of eyes and
2. people in the car see when extra concentration is needed and should either shut up or help you out
Excellent points and very true.

Closed Thread