Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #57
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Is this a sticky yet? Should this be locked down?
Yes , it is.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #58
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Again I don't think they should have said anything because maybe only 5% of these cars may have had bad paint.
Ok so assuming that 5% is an actual percentage of the ones that are bad. Why is it unreasonable for us 5% to want it fixed?

I feel like it goes back and forth, some have no problems and some do. My VIN is 8970 and I do have this issue with mine. Yes some people are pot stirers while others just would like to know if it can/will be fixed.
I agree that when you look at it from different angles that it changes, BUT when you look at a car that has two panels that line up that are not at a different angle, those two panels should have the same color. Right?

All my opinion.

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #59
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
Ok so assuming that 5% is an actual percentage of the ones that are bad. Why is it unreasonable for us 5% to want it fixed?

I feel like it goes back and forth, some have no problems and some do. My VIN is 8970 and I do have this issue with mine. Yes some people are pot stirers while others just would like to know if it can/will be fixed.
I agree that when you look at it from different angles that it changes, BUT when you look at a car that has two panels that line up that are not at a different angle, those two panels should have the same color. Right?

All my opinion.
Agelina, I think you might be combining two separate issues.

The issue of GM's bulletin is irrelevant when it comes to you getting your paint fixed.

I don't think that the bulletin prevents you from a true claim if your car was painted incorrectly. The problem with all of this is it's all so subjective. Like I said earlier. A broken Tranny is easy to spot.

Mismatched paint is kinda like beauty... eye of the beholder right???

So, I don't think anyone feels that you shouldn't have your paint fixed if it's truly mismatched. You are gonna have to keep the fight up until a dealer will agree to repaint your car. Which they should do if it's wrong. No question about it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #60
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post

All my opinion.
if it can be proven that 5%(assuming as you were) of the cars have mis matched paint, then i agree that they should be fixed. They would need to know the VIN range that is effect, and only repair those cars. and yes, i would also think that two adjacent panels should have the same hue.

although, i do not think this can be proven.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #61
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I've seen tons of metallics that matched albeit on different sheetmetal. Mazda figured it out on my RX8. Why can't I expect that from a Chevy?

GM is telling us they can't do it because of some space age angles unknown to man ever before. Whatever. I'll wait until cars start to hit the lot before I buy so I can inspect it on the lot. The fact that they felt the need to respond screams damage control to me and IMO proves there was/is an issue perceived by enough people to warrant a response.

I haven't seen enough of this phenomenon to prove anything. But i've seen it enough on my color of choice to be concerned for my next purchase.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #62
BoleroRed67

Drives: Red 1967 Camaro SS
Everyone is missing the real insult from GM.....

"On the Camaro, the door to quarter panel angle match is the design intent. The geometry of the quarter panel provides a sporty definition and highlights the depth of the design. It is intended to show the color variation created by angling the body panels a few degrees."

As if they intended to have an apparent color mis-match when they designed the car. It's the same old BS statement designed to appease an irate consumer that just shelled out $35,000 for a new car.

Human perception is absolutely an important consideration when designing a car. Rolls Royce hand curves the bars it their grills so that they appear straight to the human eye. Would it have been too much to ask for the designers to blend the rear quarter panel into the door on the Camaro?
BoleroRed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #63
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I was major worried about this when waiting for our car to arrive. Once it got here, no worries. It's an illusion (on mine anyway). A lot of the pictures I've taken make it appear that the front fascia doesn't match but it does in person. I've been very careful not to post those here to keep from perpetuating the "perceived" issue. I'm not saying that there aren't any that are truely mismatched, but my RJT isn't one of them.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #64
br9467

Drives: 67 RS Conv. Matching numbers
CGM

Well, this is the first time I have run across this post or I would have been in much sooner. I have asked several peoples opinion and get varying answers while they are standing there looking at the car. I most definitely can see a difference in my front quarter and fascia when the sun is out. I'm convinced, but don't think complaining is gonna do any good. I'm gonna wait until I get my SECOND set of stripes on because they couldn't do it right the first time. Bubbles everywhere. But on the color, CGM, the front fascia looks a bit more bronzer, if that's even a word.
br9467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham

Now...I know that I haven't seen every single Camaro in the world...and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I have seen well over 20 production cars up-close, in person, and I've examined the color on every one (especially the metallic ones, because they're beautiful), and I've NEVER seen this mystical color-mismatch.

Here's a question to all you indignant folks out there crying foul and accusing GM of insulting you...why on earth would they take the time to write up this report...publish is PUBLICLY...if they aren't 100% positive of what they're talking about? Please....I'm not calling anybody a liar, or stupid, here...but please try to be objective about this. It is an illusion of the light.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #66
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not calling anybody a liar, or stupid, here...but please try to be objective about this. It is an illusion of the light.

I can only speak for myself...But mine is not an illusion.

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #67
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Thanks for the info. Tran
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #68
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
My IOM car is #9761. It definitely had a mismatched front fascia. I asked my dealer to repaint under warranty and they obliged. The car now looks perfect and I am very happy.
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #69
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
My IOM car is #9761. It definitely had a mismatched front fascia. I asked my dealer to repaint under warranty and they obliged. The car now looks perfect and I am very happy.
Sorry, GM says it's a fantastical allusion. You are wrong sir. Oh you had it repainted to match? Nevermind then. We'll just assume you breached the spacetime continuum to get that paint.

Sorry, i'm running off very little sleep.... lol
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #70
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
Imagine that! If your mismatch was mystical then would it not stand to reason that your car would still look mismatched after the re-paint? Not the case is it? What did your dealers body shop say when they first saw it?