Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #57
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
It still depends on the application of the end user. For a daily driver the instant torque of a PD is awesome, I dont want to sit around and wait on a centri to spool up.

Centrifical blowers dont spool up. Turbo's do.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #58
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
The best way to solve this is to look into the street style/stock bodied drag racing world.

These world championship winners are all
CENTRIFICAL SUPERCHRGAED in 2012!!

John Urist- NMRA SSO
Jason Lee- NMRA X275
Bruder Bros-Yellow Bullet Nationals
Noel Borg OSCA EZ Street
Jason Lee- NMCA X275
Kevin Young NMCA West Coast X275
Al Jimenez West Coast Outlaw 10.5
Eric Gustafin WCHRA Outlaw 8.5

You guys keep thinking the roots blower is the best and we will keep smoking you at the track and street with our centrificals!

Chris
The OP is interested in street application, please read before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
Centrifical blowers dont spool up. Turbo's do.

Chris
Dont be that guy, you know damn good a well what I am refering to. A centri will not make max boost untill redline which IMO is more for the track and less for the street.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #59
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Exactly. Spool up or spin up or whatever you wanna call it, the Centifugal takes the longest of all the FI setups to make peak power, that's a fact.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

Dont be that guy, you know damn good a well what I am refering to. A centri will not make max boost untill redline which IMO is more for the track and less for the street.

Orly?

So up until 3500 RPM's, the Roots has it. Past that its just a joke...

Not to mention, I wouldn't want max boost at 1500 RPMS...Much easier for the vehicle if it builds with RPM's.

Also makes the vehicle a bit nicer to drive on the street - power builds as RPM's build. Best of both worlds IMO
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #61
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
The thread is done with. There is so much bad info in here it's not even right. Some of you guys were asking this same question just a few months ago so I don't know how you know the difference . Some of the vendor info in here isn't accurate . Op ask some people who have own a few different kinds of FI and see what they say. The tvs2300 is a nice system holds up well and will last a long time and looks cool. As far as the torque difference it's not as big a deal as people are making out to be your not going to be able to hook very well on street tires at a decent power level so I guess this excess torque claim people are making is going by how much they spin their tires. I think Doug said it best when he said a lot of people swap from a pd blower to a centri but not the other way... Either will make a good street car and if I even thought about pushed more than 600 or so Rwhp I would go centri. If not then I would go with which ever I could get the best deal on you will be happy either way I believe
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #62
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:

Some of these blowers are used on the street.
And I am not that guy. Just clearing up your statement so other members are not mis-informed.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #63
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Quote:
It still depends on the application of the end user. For a daily driver the instant torque of a PD is awesome, I dont want to sit around and wait on a centri to spool up.
Did you know we have more than one gear?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #64
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteCZM523 View Post
Not to mention, I wouldn't want max boost at 1500 RPMS...Much easier for the vehicle if it builds with RPM's.

Also makes the vehicle a bit nicer to drive on the street - power builds as RPM's build. Best of both worlds IMO
Agree with this. Its probably the reason I love the centri. I have been in a few PD blower cars and yes the instant torque is great when you can actually put it to the ground. Most throttle jabbing just resulted in tire smoke.

For me even making over 800whp on the centri the car honestly drives very tame, very stockish. Sure you know its there when you roll into the throttle a bit but its not so abrupt like a PD car. I'm not shredding tires either when I'm leaving a bit more aggressively than normal. Also in most PD cars I almost felt like they ran of steam 3/4 the way though the rpm band where I feel now my car pulls like a freight train all the way to the redline which I find a whole lot more exciting. I mean are you really on the street and gonna say you give it the gas and let off at 4,000rpm? I mean we all gotta merge onto the highway right?
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #65
Euthanasia

Drives: Many
Euthanasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #66
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
So I guess most people are just stabbing first gear then getting out of it. Sure the instant torques is probably cool the first few times but then after that what's left? It's not gonna keep pulling like a Centri. People keep saying you have to wait for redline for max boost but you don't. Plenty of street driven centri's and you don't have to ring them out to have fun. I drive mine on the street most of the time and have a blast. My cars makes enough torque that even on drag radials it doesn't hook so why do you need all of your torque down low unless you are pulling a house or want to make a smoke show to impress people? Centri or twin turbo is the only way to go. Takes too much to make a roots fast and then you have to deal with the heat etc no thanks. I'm sure someone will come in and say something about GM using them from the factory but that's only because it can be packaged easier for a factory vehicle.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #67
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Its not hard to see that being the case at all. For example, I know that after what I am currently doing to my car the SC will be maxed out. I somethings think of going to a centri to get more HP. Then I slap myself and think... why do I want more... I dont think my car would be any faster, at least not with street tires and suspension.
Its just that mod monkey on my back... always thinking more !!
Right there with you. Running the same modded Blower and the "old days" Drag Racing Side of me wants to go Centri Meth blah blah blah and the other side well just still fat dumb and friggin happy with a reliable 650 RWHP machine. OP good luck with whatever you decide to go with. Just get it built well and tuned well and you will be

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #68
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
This all is about as clear a mud to us noobs watching on the sidelines wanting to mod our stocks. A solution to more power = FI. Okay, get that. So, the word "best" appears to be subjective, especially when the application is so vast and everyone wants something a bit different than the next Joe/Jane. The only conclusion that I can come up with scouring these comments is there's really no obvious winner wrt FI (if it were a contest). End result: get blown, be happy!
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #69
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
OP if your primary goal is a strong running street machine go with the maggie. Torque comes on lower - that's what turns your wheels. You are not going to use the high hp of a Centri on the street. What you want is torque/power under the curve not at the top end.
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #70
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I just want to say that I love driving my car with a Whipple.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote