Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #99
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
I'm glad someone posted this....

Here's what you guys need to be discussing right here....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9130
Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #100
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
It would be a lot better if people who quote BASE prices actually knew what comes in a Honda. You need to 2LT, then "RS" the Camaro at minimum and add a sunroof and others to get close to the V6 standard equipment on the 09 Accord COUPE. The coupe does not share one body panel with the sedan. Price on paper is not the only property a sophisticated buyer is looking for. You still will not get dual zone A/C , Home link, keyless remote windows and more on the Chevy. And the Honda will get you 10% better mileage. ADDS UP AT 4.00 A GALLON.

It appears those who at the ripe old age of 36 who are so closed minded that
their "EXPERT" view is the only right one are not one of the wiser more educated examples of "current" consumer that GM is aiming this car at.

My son has a "Bow TIE " tattooed on his forearm, but his mind is open enough to realize that if CHEVOLET does not attract current and future buyers with this car it WILL go the same way the 05 GTO went and then GM in less than a decade will go the same way as Chrysler. (BTW his 24 Y/O lady says she thinks the 2010 looks " too for old guys" compared to the Honda.

Wait till the YOU TUBE reports come in with some 25 year old who knows how to launch his FWD V6 and speed shifting the close ratio leaves some old 45 year old churning smoke with his BB Camaro (extra cost shifter) who could not hook up.

Have a nice day!

The auto honda does indeed get slightly better mileage(due to cylinder shutoff tech-wonder where they copied that idea from), but the manual car is rated at 17/25 mpg. Not that this is a huge difference but it is definitely worse than the manual camaro. I think it is geared much more agressively than the V6 camaro to improve acceleration but they gave up something in the economy department to do it.

In my opinion, most guys that bought an accord coupe really wanted a mustang, but thought it was too cheap, or a bmw but thought it was too expensive. Honda's are the most plainly styled boring cars I have ever seen. I think the camaro will be very attractive to that crowd, as it is closer to the BMW than the mustang, and a lot less girly than the Honda. No offense to Honda guys, it is just my opinion.

Oh, and your GTO comment is not really true, GM brought a car at the end of the life cycle from Australia to have something to sell against the mustang GT, I don't think that was ever expected to sell like a camaro with low end and high end models, and they did that with minimal investment. The camaro was not built as a second thought, and is made to compete with many coupes available.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #101
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
I can't believe anyone seriously believes that a Honda will handle better then the Camaro. Even being lighter it's still made for the driver not to spill his Starbucks while driving to Save the Rain Forest rally. Camaro has a suspension that is way more advanced and made for spirited driving.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #102
Beau Tie

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I can't believe anyone seriously believes that a Honda will handle better then the Camaro. Even being lighter it's still made for the driver not to spill his Starbucks while driving to Save the Rain Forest rally. Camaro has a suspension that is way more advanced and made for spirited driving.

Last edited by Beau Tie; 10-31-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #103
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
Thanks for your insight, and thank you for taking the time to respond. As for "Scott", I really wouldn't care if Scott was "Bob Lutz". It still has no bearing on my opinion, feelings, or thoughts on the competitive nature of the 5th generation Camaro. No doubt that "Scott's" knowledge of the Camaro exceeds my knowledge a billion to one. If "Scott" is on the Camaro team, well then, job well done on the new Camaro. One of the best cars to come out of GM in the most recent years (next to the CTS, Malibu, Enclave, C6, and now a host of others).

For the record, I am new to this particular forum (because I am getting a new Camaro), but I am not a "newb" to cars, nor the Camaro specifically. So I don't have any "questions" or "answers" that I need to "search" for.
But that is the thing, it is simply YOUR opinion that you don't think they are market competition. Thats all fine and good that you "like" cars. I do too and know just as much about the availability of what is out there etc etc etc. Being a car freak doesn't mean that you know "for a fact" what is or isn't.

They wouldn't make a high performance enthusiest Altima 3.5 R if it wasn't to compete with the other performance 6's on the market. And the whole import can't compete against domestic b/c they aren't muslce cars is hogwash. You are being WAY too closed minded. If you understood how GM was marketing this car as someone said in a previous post, you would see why these other V6's have targets on them in the eyes of the company BUILDING THE CAR.... GM.

They have stated already they do not even want to be compared to the mustang anymore as they will not try to compete with them on price and the camaro is a more upscale refined machine now etc.....(even though they will never NOT be compared to each other)

So they are looking to broaden the base upon which the camaro is compared. You are letting history get in the way and that is only letting you see the Challenger and the Mustang. The V6 Camaro other then being RWD (which I think the H. Genesis will be also) it is right there with the other performance V6 versions of this market.

You also have to remember that you are a biased "educated" enthusiest. The average joe that wants to get a new car but wants a peppy V6 thats "cool" will look at the accord coupe, altima, genesis, mustang, chally, camaro, etc. Price is just one point of comparison these vehicles are just too similar in many areas and it would be close minded to not see that they are direct competition for each other. And if the camaro steals sales from these other applications doesn't that inherently make it competition lol.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #104
Beau Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
But that is the thing, it is simply YOUR opinion that you don't think they are market competition. Thats all fine and good that you "like" cars. I do too and know just as much about the availability of what is out there etc etc etc. Being a car freak doesn't mean that you know "for a fact" what is or isn't.

They wouldn't make a high performance enthusiest Altima 3.5 R if it wasn't to compete with the other performance 6's on the market. And the whole import can't compete against domestic b/c they aren't muslce cars is hogwash. You are being WAY too closed minded. If you understood how GM was marketing this car as someone said in a previous post, you would see why these other V6's have targets on them in the eyes of the company BUILDING THE CAR.... GM.

They have stated already they do not even want to be compared to the mustang anymore as they will not try to compete with them on price and the camaro is a more upscale refined machine now etc.....(even though they will never NOT be compared to each other)

So they are looking to broaden the base upon which the camaro is compared. You are letting history get in the way and that is only letting you see the Challenger and the Mustang. The V6 Camaro other then being RWD (which I think the H. Genesis will be also) it is right there with the other performance V6 versions of this market.

You also have to remember that you are a biased "educated" enthusiest. The average joe that wants to get a new car but wants a peppy V6 thats "cool" will look at the accord coupe, altima, genesis, mustang, chally, camaro, etc. Price is just one point of comparison these vehicles are just too similar in many areas and it would be close minded to not see that they are direct competition for each other. And if the camaro steals sales from these other applications doesn't that inherently make it competition lol.
Well, YOUR opinion is noted as well, and thanks for sharing it. We are all entitled to our opinions. I never stated it was a FACT, so no need for you to spin the topic. My opinion (as well as others that have posted here) differs with your opinion (and others that have posted here). Nothing wrong with that.

(BTW, I agree that the Genesis Coupe will be a competitor).
Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #105
Mblock66

I have an opinion yes, but I also listen to the company that is marketing the car. And their opinion is fact. They don't just randomly build a car and throw it out there. It is designed with a specific target market to compete in and GM has shown where they have decided to compete. So that kinda matters more then what you and I and everyone else "thinks". Whether you want to beleive it or not, they are competition in GMs eyes. Period
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #106
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
fwiw, this is GM's (Chevy's) slogan/catchphrase for the new Camaro:

"A 21st century sports car"

And they pay careful attention to not call THIS model a muscle car in anything they publish, but they do refer to its muscle-car roots...
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #107
Beau Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
I have an opinion yes, but I also listen to the company that is marketing the car. And their opinion is fact. They don't just randomly build a car and throw it out there. It is designed with a specific target market to compete in and GM has shown where they have decided to compete. So that kinda matters more then what you and I and everyone else "thinks". Whether you want to beleive it or not, they are competition in GMs eyes. Period
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on.

Last edited by Beau Tie; 10-31-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #108
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on. Also, this confuses me:

"And their opinion is fact." How is that possible? How can an opinion be fact?

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/thel...ro_since_1967/

More proof that Chevrolet is aligning this car with their muscle car era:

HTH

mblock used the wrong word. they arent giving you opinions they are giving you facts....

regarding the Musclecar heritage of the camaro. They are not marketing it as a Musclecar. Have you seen an ad or heard a blurb about it? Motortrend called it the american g37.....they liked the g37 because it handled very well. and they liked the v6 camaro because it handled very well. They put that refinment into the car because they are not marketing it as a fast car in a straight line. its a fast car on every line. Thus they have the slogan that is its a 21st century sports car....they aren't marketing it as a 21st century muscle car.

as pertaining to this thread a g37 will destroy a honda accord and thay is the v6 camaro is a better choice, sure they in the same price range but the camaro is a better buy.

also great job introducing yourself to the site. As far as scott Goes. Scott Settlemire does know more about the camaro then you do because he is an insider. dont try to belittle his information that he gives to the forum because it only shows how much more you have to learn.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #109
Beau Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
mblock used the wrong word. they arent giving you opinions they are giving you facts
I know what GM is giving me. I know what every manufacturer is giving me in marketing (I minored in marketing). Just like I know that Ford says they have the most reliable trucks. Just because they say they do doesn't mean they do.

Quote:
regarding the Musclecar heritage of the camaro. They are not marketing it as a Musclecar. Have you seen an ad or heard a blurb about it?
No, have you?

Quote:
Motortrend called it the american g37.....they liked the g37 because it handled very well. and they liked the v6 camaro because it handled very well. They put that refinment into the car because they are not marketing it as a fast car in a straight line. its a fast car on every line. Thus they have the slogan that is its a 21st century sports car....they aren't marketing it as a 21st century muscle car.
I never questioned the RWD G37 sports car. I questioned the FWD econobox, Accords.

Quote:
also great job introducing yourself to the site.
Thanks. Nice to meet ya.

Quote:
As far as scott Goes. Scott Settlemire does know more about the camaro then you do because he is an insider.
Sweet! I already stated, if you read above, that this Scott probably knows more about the Camaro than I do, 1 billion to 1.

Quote:
dont try to belittle his information that he gives to the forum because it only shows how much more you have to learn.
When I did I belittle him? I have never met him, spoke to him, replied to posts of his, or questioned him.

Do you have some sort of issue?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #110
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I have an issue.

This goes for everyone.

Get this thread back on topic or I'll intervene. Be respectful to everyone here. Everyone

State your opinions and respect those of others. DO NOT TROLL HERE. We don't tolerate it. No one is in danger of any punitive action.... Yet.

And furthermore, as Tag has already said, one of the foundations as to why this site has grown so much is the GM employees/insiders that take time out of their busy days to share with us. We want that to continue and will not allow them to be insulted, belittled, or offended. The same thing we do for all our members.

Like I said state your opinion and respect eachother's

Please don't push it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #111
Beau Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I have an issue.

This goes for everyone.

Get this thread back on topic or I'll intervene. Be respectful to everyone here. Everyone

State your opinions and respect those of others. DO NOT TROLL HERE. We don't tolerate it. No one is in danger of any punitive action.... Yet.

And furthermore, as Tag has already said, one of the foundations as to why this site has grown so much is the GM employees/insiders that take time out of their busy days to share with us. We want that to continue and will not allow them to be insulted, belittled, or offended. The same thing we do for all our members.

Like I said state your opinion and respect eachother's

Please don't push it.
Thank you! And well stated.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #112
Mblock66

Quote:
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on.

Good for me?... I guess you don't get it. Being that you are a marketing minor you should understand market segments, product placement, and target consumer. I am a financial analyst professional for a fortune 500 (as long as we are throwing around "expertise") with a BS in finance and economics. (but honestly I don't think that means much in this argument)

You certainly are allowed to think what the camaro is and what its competition is for YOU, but the producer sets all of the above and places its product. Whether it is successful or not is determined by the market. Did GM do a good job in placing its product against the likes of accord, genesis, altima, and so on......we will see. But that IS where they are attempting to compete which inherently makes those product direct and I will repeat, direct sales competition.

So sure you and others are allowed to compare whatever cars you want (or not want) to the camaro, that is totally fine. No issues with that. But the business model IS and WILL be attempting to steal performance V6 market share from the accord, altima........

Whether we think it is or not based on performance or price or whatever is mearly a formality.