Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Angry Not buying GM vehicle ever again. complete BS!!!! UPDATED WITH CONCLUSION!

Many of you may have read my thread saying a gave up my 2010 camaro order after having ordered in October, receive a TPW of 6/25 and still not being shipped on 8/17, the day I gave up order and bought a 2006 Z06. Well the day I got the car back from a safety inspection from GM, I lost oil pressure, turns out a rag got in the oil system plugging the filters all up. GM gave it an oil change about 300kms before this happened, so I believe its their fault. I pursued GM to covered it even though the cars warranty had expired 5 months ago. It didn't matter to me because the car only has 10,000 kms on it! GM should cover it in my mind. Well I got a call today from GM saying that because the car is 5 months off warranty and has only 10,000kms on it they could not cover it. HOWEVER, the lady on the phone continued, if the car was off warranty for 6 months and has 12,000 kms on it, THEY WOULD COVER IT. Wait did I hear that straight? My car hasn't been off warranty long enough and doesn't have enough miles to be covered?? She confirmed it, I had heard right. Wow I thought, how the hell does that work. The funny thing is, my camaro order shipped on the 22nd, 5 days after I bought the vette, private deal, so the camaro will probably get here before my corvette gets out of shop. THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD!

Added photos: ...and no, that isn't a piece of crap, it is the cloth/rag that was in motor

Well they said the car was good to go after cleaning out the oil pan and bottom end. 10 day wait for new oil pan gasket and screen and I got the car back.This was yesterday. Not even 200kms later the same issue. Today my gm dealer pulled the intake off the motor and found a rag in the engine. GM IS COVERING IT!!!! I knew I shouldn't be responsible for that bill and guess what?! It was GMs screw up. So when ever the new gaskets and any new parts that need to be replaced get here it will be fixed up and returned to me as good as gold this time.

That rag I am holding up is what was in the motor pinched between valley cover and engine block. It was in there so long that some of the rag that was rubbing on the cam shaft was actually wearing down some of the lobes on the cam shaft. Unreal. How it got through quality control is beyond me, but it did.
Attached Images

Last edited by logan1080; 09-05-2009 at 12:45 PM.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
:( OMG!!!...so very sorry for you...cannot believe such a sad situation for you...:(
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
GM did the oil change?
Or your dealer did the oil change?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
Man...sorry about your troubles.

That's why I never have anyone do my oil changes. If you do it at one of those oil change places It's always done by some gear head wannabe who thinks that because he can take off a drain plug and screw on a filter that he's a qualified mechanic.

Additionally, I never take my car to a dealer for anything unless its warranty related. Too many punks that work in the back that will take your car on a joy ride, or wipe it down with old dirty rags, or sit on the paint, or blast your radio for four to five hours while they work...etc...etc. Or as you've already seen...damaged your vehicle mechanically or botched a repair only to not step up afterwards.

Dealers really need to focus on paying their mechanics more money so they can retain qualified individuals and maintain a constant improvement in skills by having their techs go to continued education.

Should've waited for the Camaro I suppose. Hindsight is always 20/20. Either way I hope things work out for you. I was really close to buying a Corvette but stopped my non-chalant search when I found that the cars didn't live up to the hype and the interiors were far from desireable.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
Well the day I got the car back from a safety inspection from GM, I lost oil pressure, turns out a rag got in the oil system plugging the filters all up. GM gave it an oil change about 300kms before this happened, so I believe its their fault.
GM...or your dealer?

Quote:
I pursued GM to covered it even though the cars warranty had expired 5 months ago.
I would have most certainly gone after the dealer for that one, it's not a warranty issue, it's a stupidity issue.

Quote:
THE WORST LUCK IN THE WORLD!
No, the worst luck in the world would be having your brakes fail at 100mph, and rear-ending a semi, ending in a gory decapitation. Buuuuttt....that's another story.

It sure sounds like you've been through an awful experience...but I can't believe #1, you'd try to blame it all on GM, and not your dealer, and #2, find some correlation between this and the purchase of future GM vehicles. There is none.

fwiw, I had a Chrysler mechanic leave his oily rag on the exhaust manifold of an '03 Dodge Caravan after a routine service...it caught fire while we were driving...it was a pretty bad situation. But I took it to the dealer, and they refunded me the service charge, and tried to offer me some other condolence...but the point is, I don't hate Chrysler because of what a stupid Dodge mechanic did....
Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
logan1080

When I say GM I mean GM as a whole and the dealer, the dealer represents GM, they are what makes GM. the guy I bought it from had the last oil change done 150 kms before I bought it at a GM dealership. I have the service records. As the reference to never buying GM again, judging by the service and all around courtesy towards the customer I have had from GM dealers, no I won't buy it again. Frig my camaro sat saying available to ship for almost a month as peoples cars were literally rolling off the assembly line and on to a train and getting delivered with a TPW more than a month after mine, meanwhile my car sat and collected dust. I have had it with GM, no matter what their excuse is.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
There's absolutely no reason that your car would be just sitting there if there wasn't a reason for it. Was it in QA? Was there something they were looking at with your particular unit?
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
logan1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
There's absolutely no reason that your car would be just sitting there if there wasn't a reason for it. Was it in QA? Was there something they were looking at with your particular unit?
It was in quality control from 6/25 until 7/31, finally shipped 8/22. I agree, no reason it should have sat there.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I have had it with GM, no matter what their excuse is.
Right....I doubt I can change your mind, since you seem stubbornly set to hate them...but, maybe next time "a company" thinks about holding a SOLD OUT car that you special ordered to fix a problem before you have to deal with it...they shouldn't. How dare they want to give you a quality car.

And I'm sorry, but your attempt to link your crappy dealer to GM was weak. The internet can be deceiving, but it seems to me you're just looking for excuses to dislike them.

Whatever...I feel bad for you, and sure I hope your Vette gets fixed, I really do. It's a kick-ass car when there aren't dealer's rags in the oil system.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm not understanding the hatred of GM though. Do you think that the other companies are better? That no one has had similar expeiences with Ford or Chrysler? I've been pretty ticked lately myself and even criticized but to say you'll never buy GM again? And all because some local dealer gave you poor quality service?

If you ran GM, who exactly would you hire to run your thousands od dealerships around North America? Locals right? And they would be responsible for hiring employees.

I know you're pissed. I would be too, but it's local service you should be pissed at, not GM. If you bought a new car that was messed up and your dealer couldn't fix it and GM refused to help and it was under warranty THEN be done with GM but you're dealing with a poor dealer.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
Dee

Drives: Camaro ZL1,BMW 750i,Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm not understanding the hatred of GM though. Do you think that the other companies are better? That no one has had similar expeiences with Ford or Chrysler? I've been pretty ticked lately myself and even criticized but to say you'll never buy GM again? And all because some local dealer gave you poor quality service?

If you ran GM, who exactly would you hire to run your thousands od dealerships around North America? Locals right? And they would be responsible for hiring employees.

I know you're pissed. I would be too, but it's local service you should be pissed at, not GM. If you bought a new car that was messed up and your dealer couldn't fix it and GM refused to help and it was under warranty THEN be done with GM but you're dealing with a poor dealer.

Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It's very simple...GM is not at fault. Your DEALER is.

Take the car back to your dealer, park it in front of their door, call out the sales manager and tell him to fix what THEY broke or to take the car back. Tell them that if they refuse to correct their problem, that you will seek legal action and that by the time you are done with them, they will end up paying for your entire car.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It's very simple...GM is not at fault. Your DEALER is.

Take the car back to your dealer, park it in front of their door, call out the sales manager and tell him to fix what THEY broke or to take the car back. Tell them that if they refuse to correct their problem, that you will seek legal action and that by the time you are done with them, they will end up paying for your entire car.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
You bought the car after it had its last oil change. How long after you bought till you took it to the dealer for the inspection? I would say a safety inspection doesnt involve any use of rags, furthermore I would guess that if they jammed a rag in the oil tank that it would be pretty hard for it to make it to the oil pan...Im thinking almost impossible.

You can see that if they jammed the rag in the tank that it would have to travel through a hose to make it to the oil pan which looks almost impossibe on its own, then who knows what kind of filter is at the bottom of that tank to stop foreign debris from going to the pan.

My guess is that work was done to your motor. The mechanic wont be able to tell as all the gaskets are metal and rubber with no rtv applied anywhere. Especially on a new motor. But I would go to the guy you bought it from. Probably a reason he was selling it. Its too coincidential to die that fast.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote