Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7043
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserinc View Post
Hi all. I am a brand new Camaro 2012 1LS owner. I live way over in Columbus but i could make a few meets in the Atlanta area. I have seen some of the mods you guys have done and think i might have To do some of them. I know first thing I want to do is add the fog lights at the bottom.

Well hope to meet some of you soon.
Ya, welcome n stuff!

Check around here on the forums, a company here actually makes an LED foglight kit for yall that don't have em.

I have some but I think they're just DRLs? I can't figure out how to turn them on if they do anything else. I have a 2SS...
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #7044
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
Ya, welcome n stuff!

Check around here on the forums, a company here actually makes an LED foglight kit for yall that don't have em.

I have some but I think they're just DRLs? I can't figure out how to turn them on if they do anything else. I have a 2SS...
Yeah they're just DRLs. You need a harness to turn them on at the same time as your Halos. That or you can do this mod: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137102

This makes them run all the time. Whenever one is on, the other is on. The dial on the left of the steering wheel lets you decide whether the Halo and DRLs are on, or the Halo, DRLs, and the big headlight inside the Halo are all on.

Kinda hard to get my drift, haha

I normally run mine with just the Halos on:

Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #7045
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Ah, in that case I'll want to be switching mine out for LEDs like you did. They look to be pretty visible in the daylight. I also spotted a guy last week with a red 5th gen with LEDs in the DRLs, legacy grill, chin spoiler with adjuster rods on it.. dunno if he's a member here or not, was on powder springs RD in powder springs. Dark dark tint.. didn't see driver.

Where'd you get the LEDs?
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7046
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Do LED's have issues with being turned on and off quickly?

I know some of the after market headlights used to have issues because they didnt have enough time to warm up and they burned the balast out because when you click the lock feature it flashed the headlights. Would hooking the DRL's to the headlights, meaning now when you double tap the remote to lock or unlock your car, they flash, possibly lead to early EOL for them?
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #7047
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Dont know if they would have issues or not! But if you get them from oracle or AAC they have lifetime warranties on them! In fact I believe all their lights have the lifetime warranty! So it's kinda worth the investment!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #7048
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Do LED's have issues with being turned on and off quickly?

I know some of the after market headlights used to have issues because they didnt have enough time to warm up and they burned the balast out because when you click the lock feature it flashed the headlights. Would hooking the DRL's to the headlights, meaning now when you double tap the remote to lock or unlock your car, they flash, possibly lead to early EOL for them?
That is actually how LEDs are dimmed. They are turned on and off very fast. It is called PWM, and every LED can be dimmed this way. There is no filament, and nothing to burn out. The only thing that would shorten these LEDs lifespan is voltage spikes, which does happen when the car is started. Scott is correct though...AAC has a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #7049
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
That is actually how LEDs are dimmed. They are turned on and off very fast. It is called PWM, and every LED can be dimmed this way. There is no filament, and nothing to burn out. The only thing that would shorten these LEDs lifespan is voltage spikes, which does happen when the car is started. Scott is correct though...AAC has a lifetime warranty.
Thx, sounds like not an issue.

The life time warranty is nice, but you have to uninstall and reinstall the old if you have them, then pay for shipping back, wait till they get the replacments to you, uninstall the old and reinstall the new etc etc...

just was being careful as its a pain when stuff goes out, and a bigger pain when it does it over and over due to putting stress on the item its not built to accept....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #7050
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
Ah, in that case I'll want to be switching mine out for LEDs like you did. They look to be pretty visible in the daylight. I also spotted a guy last week with a red 5th gen with LEDs in the DRLs, legacy grill, chin spoiler with adjuster rods on it.. dunno if he's a member here or not, was on powder springs RD in powder springs. Dark dark tint.. didn't see driver.

Where'd you get the LEDs?
I got mine off ebay. I've got a few extra sets if you wanna try them out. If you like them I'd only ask a few bucks for them to re-coup my costs. I paid $50 originally for mine, then I found the same bulbs for cheaper and bought 4 sets to offer to people in our club, for situations exactly like this.

Exact same bulbs I'm using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Dont know if they would have issues or not! But if you get them from oracle or AAC they have lifetime warranties on them! In fact I believe all their lights have the lifetime warranty! So it's kinda worth the investment!
Ehhhh, I can't drop $100 on two bulbs, that's outrageous IMO. I can buy 8-10 sets of bulbs for the price of one set of AAC bulbs.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #7051
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I got mine off ebay. I've got a few extra sets if you wanna try them out. If you like them I'd only ask a few bucks for them to re-coup my costs. I paid $50 originally for mine, then I found the same bulbs for cheaper and bought 4 sets to offer to people in our club, for situations exactly like this.

Exact same bulbs I'm using.

Ehhhh, I can't drop $100 on two bulbs, that's outrageous IMO. I can buy 8-10 sets of bulbs for the price of one set of AAC bulbs.
got any left?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #7052
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpuppy View Post
got any left?
Yes I do. 8 bulbs, so 4 sets. I bought them for this exact reason, in case anybody else wanted them.

And I don't want to make any money off them. Just break even. I paid $50 for my set, and found these bulbs for much cheaper, and now I'm kicking myself for not researching more.

Also, the installation is easy.

Seriously, if they lasted a year each, they'd still be worth more than those AAC bulbs IMO. $100 is insane.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7053
mouserinc

Drives: 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Welcome! If you want to come to a nice big meet you gotta be at the F-body gathering late May. Its going to be a great time.
Saw that on the calendar and sadly that is the weekend I signed up for some Overtime at work. maybe next time though.

I must say that the mods you guys have been doing look great and make me jealous.
mouserinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #7054
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserinc View Post
Saw that on the calendar and sadly that is the weekend I signed up for some Overtime at work. maybe next time though.

I must say that the mods you guys have been doing look great and make me jealous.
Welcome! Too bad you're working that weekend. If you have ANY time Friday night, Saturday or Sunday, you really should try to get up for a couple of hours. You'll meet a lot of us at the same time.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #7055
casper11

Drives: 2011 convt camaro
Yeah I have to say you guys with all the mods is great . It's a good motivator to do things to your own. I think these cars are just really great looking to start with. I have to say I was proud of chevy for this car. I thought they were lost with some of the camaro's of the past. I've had a 76 type LT(first car) 78,2-79 z-28 and a 82 z28. I'm glad their back........but that's just my 2 cents. Gonna try to get to John Thorton to meet a few of you guys.
casper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #7056
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Was a great turn out today at Summit. Got to meet new member "AuburnGrad93" and Adam drove out from Covington also. If I would of stayed till the end I know I would of took home a prize for sure. Not many knew that you could build a V6 motor and twin turbo it on the Camaro's lol!

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep