Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #281
oldsmobile

Drives: '98 Olds Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf20 View Post
If it's for resonance or squealing then why don't the rear calipers have them when the car is near even weight distribution?
Different caliper, different resonance.
oldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #282
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOK View Post
Also as reported on Frontpage Blog

Anybody know what the deal is on the stack of wheel weights on both front calipers on the 2010 with brembo's? I will try to attach a picture.
I worked as a mechanic for 25 years, specializing in brakes for 5 of them. This is the first time I have ever seen weights, especially wheel weights on Calipers.

Vented Rotors can have weights in them and they can be a "round" weight placed into a cooling fin. Other balancing techniques are to drill into the hub of the rotor to a specified depth, removing material to balance the rotor.

Keep in mind these are stick on weights and the brakes on your car...ANY car get hot. If you were to place your hand on the wheel of your car after stop and go braking in heavy traffic, you would blister your hand. You can imagine how hot the Caliper and Rotor will get! The point I'm making with the stick on weights is over time, the tape will degrade, the weights will fall off and you could end up with bigger brake problems, body damage, rim damage, etc.

I would go into your dealer and have them inspect this. If they know of no good reason for the weights to be on there, and if they can not get any answers from the dealer for these weights, then I would have them removed.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #283
djo165

Drives: 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf20 View Post
If it's for resonance or squealing then why don't the rear calipers have them when the car is near even weight distribution?
The cars weight distribution doesn't matter that much. Even on a car that has 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, roughly 80% of the stopping power is done by the front brakes. It's simple inertia and weight transfer.
djo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #284
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Does anyone here understand how some added weight can keep your Camaro's brakes from squealing?
try this... get a tuning fork... or somthing similar

give it a "ding"

attach some added weight to it...

give it another ding...

you get 2 different sounds... (it resonates at a different frequency)

it is overlapping sound waves... like if you are in a tub of water and you move back and forth with the waves (at the same speed as the waves).... the waves compond on each other and get bigger.... this is called resonance

every piece of material has a frequency that causes the sound waves to compond on each other.... this is why a crystal wine glass can shatter when an opera singer hits the same note (frequency) in which the crystal resonates ...

Therefore, if the brake rotor causes the brake caliber to vibrate at its resonant frequency... (by friction) .... it will resonate (squeal)... even though it is not moving.

add weight... different resonant frequency... no compounding of the sound waves
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #285
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post

give it a "ding"

give it another ding...

it is overlapping sound waves... like if you are in a tub of water and you move back and forth with the waves (at the same speed as the waves).... the waves compond on each other and get bigger.... this is called resonance

every piece of material has a frequency that causes the sound waves to compond on each other.... this is why a crystal wine glass can shatter when an opera singer hits the same note (frequency) in which the crystal resonates ...

Therefore, if the brake rotor causes the brake caliber to vibrate at its resonant frequency... (by friction) .... it will resonate (squeal)... even though it is not moving.

that actually mad sense to me lol
Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #286
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Reguardless. There should be a TSB on the item. Hopefully to be issued soon.

It's improper to have the customer take delivery without at least an explanation of something like that. Brembs are supposed to be Pimping Bling of Braking Excellence. Not a Wal Mart fishing weight kit.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #287
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:

give it a "ding"

give it another ding...

what he said ^^^^
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #288
Gameover

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Quote:

give it a "ding"

give it another ding...

I was kind of thinking the same thing earlier, with the tuning fork. Add weight or some kind of mass and it would dead'en the sound some.
Gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #289
richardhoggard
VIN 2G1FJ1EJXA9102937

Drives: Everyone knows what I drive!
Quote:

give it a "ding"

give it another ding...

What a NERD!! haha Great explaination

When your men get home and face an anti-war protestor, tell them to look in his eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she is dating a wuss. - General Tommy Franks

richardhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #290
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:

give it a "ding"

give it another ding...

can i keep you...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #291
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Reguardless. There should be a TSB on the item. Hopefully to be issued soon.

It's improper to have the customer take delivery without at least an explanation of something like that. Brembs are supposed to be Pimping Bling of Braking Excellence. Not a Wal Mart fishing weight kit.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #292
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
So, I'm bored, and figured this might be appropriate:
http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/newprod.htm
High-temperature adhesives. That page shows adhesives that are rated for 3000 degrees F. If those weights are pure lead, their melting point is 623 degrees F. I don't think it's necessary to worry about the adhesive, I'm sure they would have used something like that. How about the lead...I'd assume they used an alloy good for at least 1000 degrees.

A 2000 degree adhesive is accompanied by this picture which coincidentally looks a lot like a brake pad:
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #293
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
Brembos on my Boxster S never squealed!
MUCH lighter car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhoggard View Post
What a NERD!! haha Great explaination
Very pollite insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So, I'm bored, and figured this might be appropriate:
http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/newprod.htm
High-temperature adhesives. That page shows adhesives that are rated for 3000 degrees F. If those weights are pure lead, their melting point is 623 degrees F. I don't think it's necessary to worry about the adhesive, I'm sure they would have used something like that. How about the lead...I'd assume they used an alloy good for at least 1000 degrees.

A 2000 degree adhesive is accompanied by this picture which coincidentally looks a lot like a brake pad:
Uh, that IS a brake pad. And It appears the point of the picture in relation to the article is that the adhesive that they use to put the pad on the metal base is this type of adhesive. So then we can conclude that adhesive CAN be used to last on brake callipers.

Great find dude.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #294
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
But back on topic, Has anyone asked the guy that works on the line in oshawa about this? Ask him to check it out in his thread and maybe he can get an answer faster.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote