Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Why are cars fwd & rwd

I'm talking about n/a engines.

Why are fwd cars fwd? Is it because the engines are small enough to have a transmission hooked on them and just hook to the front of the car? (I've never seen the under side of a fwd car, so bare with me here when I say "hook to the front of the car").
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
they are cheaper to build for 1
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-e...l_drive_layout
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
FWD supposedly is easier to drive in the wet and snow, but I wouldn't know since I'm from LA. I can say it does allow for more efficient packaging since the entire drivetrain is contained in the engine bay. In a RWD car the transmission and drive shaft can intrude into passenger compartment space.

RWD allows for better driving dynamics for reasons I'm too tired to write about right now.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
FWD supposedly is easier to drive in the wet and snow, but I wouldn't know since I'm from LA. I can say it does allow for more efficient packaging since the entire drivetrain is contained in the engine bay. In a RWD car the transmission and drive shaft can intrude into passenger compartment space.
Not to mention that the extra driveline shafts in a RWD car compare to a marginally lower fuel economy rating...BUT -- it's almost nonexistant, just worth mentioning.

In short, FWD lends to massive improvements in passenger and cargo space. Sit in a G8...Sit in an Impala..then look in the trunk space in both...The difference is stark.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitath View Post
I'm talking about n/a engines.

Why are fwd cars fwd? Is it because the engines are small enough to have a transmission hooked on them and just hook to the front of the car? (I've never seen the under side of a fwd car, so bare with me here when I say "hook to the front of the car").
No, you can have a FWD car with a V8 (Impala SS) so size isn't the issue. Its cheaper to engineer a car with FWD, its lighter, and gets you 1-2 mpg better fuel economy. As others have said, they also do better in poor weather. The main advantages for RWD are for performance, which isn't much of a concern for most of the car buyers out there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The main reason for front wheel drive platforms are they are cheaper to build. You lose your driveshafts and rear suspension is much easier to design. Rear wheel drive is good for sports cars and thing that do towing/hauling.

All wheel drive is good for most applications except fuel/price economy.

I'd be looking forward to a new mid/rear engine GM car again. The fiero got off on a bad start, but I've sen a few nice GT survivors. I like Corvair Spyders as long as the fan is an electric conversion , otherwise you need a few spare belts.

For something neat look up a Gregory sedan.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
The main reason for front wheel drive platforms are they are cheaper to build. You lose your driveshafts and rear suspension is much easier to design. Rear wheel drive is good for sports cars and thing that do towing/hauling.

All wheel drive is good for most applications except fuel/price economy.

I'd be looking forward to a new mid/rear engine GM car again. The fiero got off on a bad start, but I've sen a few nice GT survivors. I like Corvair Spyders as long as the fan is an electric conversion , otherwise you need a few spare belts.

For something neat look up a Gregory sedan.
Never heard of it but if I were to guess ... I'd say rear engine/front drive?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Never heard of it but if I were to guess ... I'd say rear engine/front drive?
Oh man, the images of snap oversteer with that setup that I'm picturing are just hilarious.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote