Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
What is it that makes you crazy about the Camaro?

A funny, yet mind-boggling question was asked by my very,very,very(did I say very ) wife today. Her observation of the posters, die cast cars, tee-shirts, desktop on the pc that replace our vacation photo :p, I guess compelled her to ask me.."What is it that makes you so crazy about this car?"

So I figured that I would pose the same questions upon you, the Camaro enthusiats, admirers, whatever we call ourselves, the same question.

"What makes us so crazy about this car?"

I'll give my thoughts after I hear some of your responses.

daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The Heritage, and my ablility to be a part of it. The fact it's built by GM, allows me to shove 400 horses down Big 3 haters throats.

The shear Joy of driving an insanely powerful car. I've always wanted a quick car, and in fact I was looking at an Impala SS, or Dodge Charger R/T before I fell into this performance heaven. My Pop's '79 introduced me to Camaros. And I fell in love with it from there. '79 was not the best Camaro year, performance-wise. 170 hp? 250 ft/lbs...even if it's underrated - come on. Having driven that, I can only imagine what 400 feels like.

The World-leading (notice I didn't say class) styling, and impressions given off by this car. It's unbelievable the force of the blow I got when I first set eys on this car. "That's a Camaro." I'll tell you, I've never seen it in person, much to my dismay, but upon first seeing the concept in photos, I cried. It's almost unexplainable.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
daddyseth1

Well Ill tell you what drives me crazy about this model and the 69 model.
" The front!"
Sounds crazy, but, on the 69 and on this 09, I see a grill that pose as beautiful teeth. And front bumpers that say "I go really fast!" Quarter panels that look like fighter jet wings! And a body that makes me just melt!

Do I sound like a possessed Camaro groupie or what?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

Nope, you sound like that voice inside my head.

"fighter-jet wings", I'll have to remember that.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
SSFreak11

Drives: 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
I grew up hearing stories about my dad's 600+ horsepower '69. It's a real connection point with my father and I. Almost everytime his old '69 comes up he has a new and exciting story about it and it always ends with him saying, "Damn, why did I ever get rid of that car?" Needless to say, I have been a camaro fan ever since I can remember, seeing how he has been talking about this car ever since I can remember. I finally got a chance to drive a 2001 SS about 4 years ago and my love for the f-body flourished. I have had the chance to drive a few since and there's nothing like the feeling of being behind the wheel of this american icon. Not to mention the comradary that goes hand in hand with the car. Just look at these forums, although we are all very different, this car brings us all together.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFreak11 View Post
...this car brings us all together.
IMO, that's the best part. One of the best thing I've ever done, was join this site. The strength of the Comradery is unbelievable!

I don't know of many other cars that do that.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I think it was said best when someone once said,

"It's a mystical bond between man and machine..."

Not everyone has a passion. But for those of us that do, whether it be reading books, making rocking chairs, fishing, playing chess, etc... Those things that we do bring us joy and happiness. It is a love that we have. It's something that excites us.

For me, seeing the car the first time was a day I won't forget. I've owned 3 4th Gens...and was increadibly saddened when I heard they were stopping production. I saw the concept a couple days after is was released and was in awe.... My jaw dropped and I was so over joyed that it brought tears to my eyes. I am an enthusiast and I LOVE Camaros.

Ask your wife what her favorite car is and then tell her to make believe that buying it is actually within her reach and that she will be getting it in another year 1/2...that's the closest I can get to explain it.

Quote:
I grew up hearing stories about my dad's 600+ horsepower '69. It's a real connection point with my father and I. Almost everytime his old '69 comes up he has a new and exciting story about it and it always ends with him saying, "Damn, why did I ever get rid of that car?" Needless to say, I have been a camaro fan ever since I can remember, seeing how he has been talking about this car ever since I can remember. I finally got a chance to drive a 2001 SS about 4 years ago and my love for the f-body flourished. I have had the chance to drive a few since and there's nothing like the feeling of being behind the wheel of this american icon. Not to mention the comradary that goes hand in hand with the car. Just look at these forums, although we are all very different, this car brings us all together.
Oh, so true...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
IMO The camaro represents The All American Spirit. It says, "Look at me, I'm bold, confident enough to just sit here quietly, but bad enough to whip your ass if the need arises." As if it were a tiger watching its prey, and the instant every muscle in its body explodes for the attack....is the same instant the engine revs to life.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Hyperknight
Band.

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better,
Hyperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The first thing that I tend to say to people who ask this question is that if they have to ask, the answer won't make much sense. When that doesn't satisfy them, I give them a the following list
1) Badass styling
2) Badass engine
3) Surprising millage for 400 hp
4) Surprising potential handling for a muscle car
5) Made in Canada (that one might not be a selling point for most of you, but Im a proud Canuck!)
6) GM
7) All this for under $40 000
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
For me it's a few things.

First, my first car was a Camaro ('85 Z28). I think most guys never forget their first car...even if it's a piece of crap.

Second, I had a friend who spent 3 years rebuilding a 'Cuda with his dad...only to have his dad total it before my friend could drive it. I wanted to do the same thing but not with the same car. I saw a '69 driving down the road and fell in love instantly.

Third, it's American muscle...no nitrous, no turbo, just raw horsepower...you gotta love that!
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
For me, it's just that the production Camaro is looking to be better than the production Challenger at this point. I've been a Jeep guy, so I had been counting on staying within the extended family if I didn't get a Wrangler Unlimited after college and just going with the Challenger. The more I see from each camp, though, the more Dodge just annoys me and the more Chevy gives me warm fuzzies.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Kenz Camaro

Drives: 1994 Impala SS
Well, this is my deal. The second car I owned was a '68 RS Camaro. I did a bunch with it; it was my first and only engine build (had a 327, built and installed a 350), headers install, clutch install, etc., I learned a lot from that car. Although it still has a place in my heart, my all time favorite car ever, is (was?) a '69 Z28, Hugger Orange with white rally stripes and the factory (very rare now) cross-ram dual quad 302 motor. Maybe I'll still get one someday but after I saw the 5th Gen concept, all that went out the window.
The '69 is nice BUT it's a 1969. The 5th Gen will have all the latest technology and will be faster and handle better (probably).
I too got a tear in my eye when I first saw it and still can't stop smiling at every different shot I see of them.
Kenz Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
daddyseth1

I look at my poster of the 5th gen and it just inspires me to want to pay my bills on time and to keep the same pair of jean until the hems fall off becuase my mission is to be behind the wheel of one in the near future. It'll end my streak of buying used Chevys. I tell myself everyday......YOU DESERVE IT!!
I am psyched about this vehicle for not only what she represents, but for what it'll mean to me. The acquistion of something I truly admire.