Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
How many kids do you think are drinking because they like the taste? I'd wager zero to none. Only reason a kid is drinking is for the buzz. Lower the age...no freakin way. You say you're old enough for war but not booze.... I'd rather have your 18 year old ass out killing terrorist than on the streets killing civies. Do I have an attitude about it??? Damn right I do, I've lost family members to drunk drivers 18 year old KIDS cannot and should not be expected to have the maturity of a grown aged adult.
kids think they are cool to drink you but if all can do it then itl be more like a weekend thing
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #30
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Okay, am I seriously the only 16 year old that thinks it shouldn't be lowered?

A) IMO, beer tastes like crap.
B) Wine tastes good, but even that gets old after a while.
C) The people in my age group may very well be the most irresponsible people alive. Throw alcohol in and watch them become even more irresponsible. Quite honestly, seeing the idiots at my school, I wouldn't even give them a friggin' soda before they drive. They're already bad drivers.

Yes, I have drank alcohol in the past. Yes, it was at a family party. Yes, I was smart enough to know when to stop. I cannot say the same for a lot of other people in my age group. Like someone said, the reason underage drinking is so popular is because some idiot kid decided that it made you a "total badass." 10 bucks says that said idiot kid is either dead or in prison.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #31
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
ok since everyone is giving their OPINION. . .

I'm currently 27 years old. I waited to drink until the weekend before my 21st birthday. and I tried it because of different reasons but over all I wanted to. Now being in the military I have had the chance to travel overseas and see other countries that have a lower drinking age. In those countries most of the people I met don't look at drinking like americans do. They look at it like it's another beverage option and don't go out to get wasted like most americans that drink do.

why I believe that is the case. . .we put too much of a focus on drinking and that's the only way to have a good time. if the drinking age were lowered the partying side of people would start sooner and end sooner. everyone goes through a phase where they want to party/have nothing but fun.

Do I think it should be lowered? in some cases yes. I believe if you sign up for military service you should be able show your military ID and be able to purchase beer or any spirit. but if you are headed to college. . .21 it is. the reason for that being someone signing up to defend this country is contributing to society where as someone who's going to college is still only taking from society more then they are giving (working part time). benefits for contributing to society. . .making you sorta responsible for your actions. because it can be taken away from you in the military (no drinking orders and such).

I know a lot of people here will probably disagree with me but I don't care. It's how I feel. until I either get elected or someone with my views on this gets elected that won't happen. so no one worry. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #32
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
have you ever tasted good beer? and im not talking about lite beer shit
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #33
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
have you ever tasted good beer? and im not talking about lite beer shit
Try an import, and I don't mean Heineken. I'm talking about something like Grolsch or something else with some real class.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #34
Reborn

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
Quote:

C) The people in my age group may very well be the most irresponsible people alive. Throw alcohol in and watch them become even more irresponsible. Quite honestly, seeing the idiots at my school, I wouldn't even give them a friggin' soda before they drive. They're already bad drivers.

Yes, I have drank alcohol in the past. Yes, it was at a family party. Yes, I was smart enough to know when to stop. I cannot say the same for a lot of other people in my age group. Like someone said, the reason underage drinking is so popular is because some idiot kid decided that it made you a "total badass." 10 bucks says that said idiot kid is either dead or in prison.
Nah, you're not the only sixteen year old. I'm with you on this one.
I've never had even a sip of beer in my life, or wine for that matter. I don't really care either. I have no intention of getting drunk just because I know it's "taboo" or my friends are doing it.

I whole heartedly agree with point "C" on your list. A lot of us are completely irresponsible, especially when it comes to driving. I don't want to see it lowered. I live in the number one state for teen driving crashes (Or deaths, don't remember off hand), and I don't want to see that statistic get even higher.

We don't even know if this would help. I don't want any generation to be the guinea pig of this experiment either. If they do lower it though, don't just give em a fricken' minor if they get caught. Do something more serious and teach 'em a real lesson!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #35
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

I LOVE IT!!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #36
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
As a mother of two growing children (man dont get me in trouble for this) I have taught my kids what drinking heavy does to you. They have even tasted some of the stuff we have around the house. when they start asking for it the answer is always NO.

But no matter what unless someone is dying, do my husband & I ever get behind the wheel after we open the FIRST drink. even if we have only taken one drink out of the bottle or glass.

I took my first drink when I was just a child & for that i dont like beer. but the first time I took my real drink, whole bottle of something. Was just before i turned 18, my life was really bad & my NOW sister in laws decided it was time to change it. so they kidnapped me & the night before hand they bought a case of Wine coolers.

Now do I think the drinking age should be lowered NO I dont. due to the fact of that Children under the age of 21, are still developing, in mind, body & soul. They are still trying to find them selves & adding the extra pressure of drinking just adds more to that.

Heck ask me my option on having sex before 21. lol. YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR THAT ONE.

Quote:

NO I think you are one of the smartest Teenagers out there for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

In Texas, we have a zero tolerance law. If you are under age, you've had ANY alcohol in your system, and you are driving, you automatically GO TO JAIL. How do ya like them apples??
Tag I personally think this should go Nation wide.

OH by the way if I remember the news report a few of Washington state Colleges are against this.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #37
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
were doing a lot of talking about the underage drivers....and yes all of the points are valid, But IMHO I dont think people above drinking age drive much better. I seriously have driven well over 100K in the last 6 years, Cross country 3 times, and from FL to Chicago at least 12 times....I really dont feel any better with adults on the road. I think Im a D@&* good driver, but its my ability to survey the road that has kept me from being in serious accidents. Usually with new drivers I can tell that they're about to do something stupid and change my line accordingly. Adults are worse because most the time they do something stupid without warning! Here in WA Ive been surprised in the poor driving. I dont know how many times someone has tried to change into my lane and Im right friggin there!, or someone suddenly darts over into my lane when the car in front of me passes them and there is barely enough room for them and no turn signal. I usually give 3 flashes of my turn signal before I start changing lanes...I cant count the amount of times theres a guy like 4 car lengths back, sees me coming over and tries to punch it. then tailgates me for 5 friggin minutes. the vast majority of the time its adults usually old and unattentive, rich and uncaring, or just a plain douch! Now when we add alcohol in the mix I cant be much of a judge, because well me or my friends could not afford a car untill we were 19+ years old.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #38
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Toà be cynical BUT honest, peopel who drink drive and die are not much of an interest to me. Let's say it's Darwin's theory, natural selection, the best lives, the idiot dies. Overall that's good for the human race I guess.

My only concern is about people who might be involved in accident caused by drunk drivers.

The thing about alcohol is that excessive consumption may lead to violence sexual abuses and so on ...

Overall, you can change the law, make it more or less restrictive, laws will never be able to fight stupidity. And laws will always restict smart people liberty. That's why laws exist
Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #39
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Educators Urge Lower Drinking Age to Cut Bingeing
yeah...'cause I magically ceased to binge drink when I turned 21.

I had to wait until I was 21. It didn't kill me.

What's worse is that when I was 16 the drinking age was 18. When I was 17 they changed it to 19. Then when I was 19 it was 21. I thought that they were forever going to keep the legal age two years ahead of me and that I would have to forever drive over to East Side Ft Worth to purchase liquor underage.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #40
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:

In Texas, we have a zero tolerance law. If you are under age, you've had ANY alcohol in your system, and you are driving, you automatically GO TO JAIL. How do ya like them apples??
And much of Tarrant County is "no refusal".

If you refuse to let them take a blood sample. The on-call Judge signs a warrant, they strap you into a restraint chair and extract a blood sample.

Their Intoxilyzer 5000 is gathering dust. Only one blood sample has been thrown out of court. Dalworthington Gardens has a 99% conviction rate for DWI. The only reason that one got thrown out was that the lawyer whined and cried enough about EMTs taking the blood sample instead of an RN.

So when a drunk hits and injures him I wonder if he'll refuse attention from EMTs because they "are not qualified medical personnel"?

And if you refuse a test, you automatically get a Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device as a condition of Bond in many counties.
That means I'm taking $75 a mo from you and I'm under your dash cutting your starter wire and tapping into your electrical system...but not for an alarm or stereo this time.

It's serious business....call a freakin' cab.

Last edited by Beelzebubba; 08-21-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #41
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Yeah, it's ridiculous that you can be old enough to go die for your country but not old enough to have a cold one.

Besides, I think lowering the drinking age takes away a bit of the "taboo" factor that makes kids want to do it.
we can hope for that effect. however, as soon as it were to be passed, i can guarantee you the number of alcohol related incidents (not just driving) will increase. then it might slowly go down and level out.

ill put it this way.... i turned 21 in Iraq. and, no i didnt drink on my birthday. and yes it sucked, but thats life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
I don't think it should for the simple fact that the human brain is still developing. Most doctors will tell you that the male brain continues to develop up until around 25. lower the drinking age and increase the traffic fatality's. Face it, kids do enough stupid crap when they aren't drunk.....
thank you.

Quote:

Brilliant post.

And for the haters that don't think so....I paid my dues....MIP when I was 20 years, 9 months old. Been there, done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If the drinking age is reduced, studies show that it will reduce alcohol-related crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
i say even loweer because if it is under the driving age kids will be smarter about drinking and driving because they have experenced alcohol
no, some kids might, but there are too many kids out there who cant even drive a car. and just because you have passed a 3 month course and a 15 minute driving test (if that), does not make you qualified to operate an automobile. adding alcohol to someone who has the body build of ....oh, i dont know, a teenager, whose limit is already half a beer to begin with, just adds to the mess

Quote:
type of alcohol has nothing to do with it. hard liquor or beer....age should remain up there.

People....the older ones here were once your age too!!! WE wanted the age lowered as well!!! Now that we are older, we are wiser and HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE!!!!

Don't get mad. Relax and enjoy the fact that states are keeping you alive by not allowing you or your friends to drive you around drunk.

go tag. I honestly believe we need to be more strict on punishment.... you steal something, i cut your hand off, you violate someone, i cut your pee-pee off, you kill someone, i cut your head off. and no, im not joking.

now in general, the outlook is "they need to learn sooner than later" well, these rules are put there for a reason, to keep us safe.

and while it sucks for military to be able to die for their country and not enjoy a beer....well, here's an idea. dont join the ****ing military. YOU MAKE THE CHOICE TO JOIN THE MILITARY. you dont have to join at 17, 18, 19, but most who do, are in a hurry to get out of their hometowns cus they are spoiled and think that its soooooooooo hard growing up in middle america... too ****ing bad. grow up.

and yes im military,
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
cool responses...interesting ones, too.

I for one, am not interested in the government "protecting me". I have enough sense to know NOT to drive under the influence. I have enough sense not to get plastered and make a fool of myself. To me; alcoholic beverages are just another drink -- and I don't appreciate being told I'm not old enough to have one by Big Brother. I mean, to be fair - there are some at 18/19 that shouldn't be drinking. And yet, there are some at 30 and 40 years old who shouldn't drink it, either! Age, imo has nothing to do with it.

You don't have an epiphany at 21 that suddenly makes you qualified to drink.
I didn't have an epiphany at the magical age of 16 that qualified me to drive (and I don't think that age should be raised. Different topic -- but simply; I needed to drive [work, etc], and I was certainly qualified to do so.) And I didn't amazingly understand how to wage war at 18.

If less emphasis was placed on drinking, if the age was lowered - I don't think nearly as many young people would go out of their way to find alcohol and consequently do stupid things under the influence. The tighter the leash, the more the Dog tries to escape, as it goes.

I mean, we might as well try prohibition all over again! After all...alcohol is bad. The cold hard truth is that there are always going to be idiots out there: of ALL age groups, from 16 and up. And generally stating that people at 18/19 aren't 'mature' enough to drink really has no truth to it, because there are 18/19 year-olds who can handle alcohol. And it's a stupid punishment for them in order to 'protect' the ones who can't handle it.

It's cold, and somewhat harsh...but I don't think the fools who misuse alcohol deserve any protection because they're fools. This country has too many nanny-laws that overlook the 'good guy', imo; and this is one that I'd like to see repealed. Waste of time, paper, and money -- and totally counter-productive.