Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Electrician fired over leaked photos..

Welp, it was said and it happened...

An electrician working at General Motors' Oshawa Assembly Plant lost his job this past week after company officials linked him to the leak of several photos showing a prototype Camaro body shell. The photos found their way onto the internet May 22nd and were published by multiple major automotive websites, including Leftlane.

Link
Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
sucks for him.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I wonder if our Oshawa contacts had anything to do with the NARC. On one hand I don't blame them, I imagine this made working in the plant a nightmare (can we all say "kneejerk" 5 times fast?) and resolution will always help these matters...on the other hand that really sucks for the poor sap.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
djgrind45

Drives: 02 wrangler
wow

i really feel bad for that guy. Hes tring to take pictures for us to see how our camaro is goin and he gets fired thats a job i would not want to loose why would they fire him for that shit tho
djgrind45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur

Don't let this happen to you. GM employees need to be careful when leaking information to the public.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
When you're in sensitive positions like that it can be really hard. I work for Disney, specifically Disneyland and our fan community could just blow the Camaro fan community away (sorry, no offense, its just bigger). In my job I have access to a lot of cool information, including previews of two new attractions not open yet. It is very tempting to pass this stuff on to the fans, but I can't and in the end I really don't want to anyway. A lot of the stuff I see and hear involves projects that aren't 100% guest ready yet, so things could still change. Our imagineers go through a lot of trouble to put on the best show for our guests, and if someone like me let the air out of their balloon by leaking stuff early that just wouldn't be fair to them. Its the exact same way with the Camaro. So if you're in a position to leak stuff, take a moment to consider if 1) losing your job is worth it and 2) creating problems for other people on the team is worth it. Chances are good the answer is no. I appreciate hearing info from GM employees in the know, but make sure its all authorized.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgrind45 View Post
i really feel bad for that guy. Hes tring to take pictures for us to see how our camaro is goin and he gets fired thats a job i would not want to loose why would they fire him for that shit tho
Because it gives GM's competitors an insight to the production techniques of the car, and maybe a little too much about the car itself. The less the competition knows, the better.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I have access to lots of confidential/proprietary information. I don't even tell people where I work. It just makes it easier. I feel sorry for the guy, but to me, like plenty of people, I have 1 income and 5 mouths to feed not including pets, so I, when it comes to my job, don't take any chances.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
mxkx250

Drives: 12 ZL1, 98 Camaro SS, 67 RS/SS
Send a message via Yahoo to mxkx250
Why didn't GM just request that the pictures be taken down like they did with the first leaked prototype pictures a couple years ago. Any sites that wanted a friendly relationship with GM did so. I know a few wouldn't care, but they wouldn't be widely distributed. I was a member of LS1 Tech at the time and they took them down.
mxkx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkx250 View Post
Why didn't GM just request that the pictures be taken down like they did with the first leaked prototype pictures a couple years ago. Any sites that wanted a friendly relationship with GM did so. I know a few wouldn't care, but they wouldn't be widely distributed. I was a member of LS1 Tech at the time and they took them down.
Because every employee signs a non-disclosure agreement and GM has a 0 tolerance policy. The wrong piece of information leaked could literally cost the company lots of money.

While I feel sorry for him, thats the chance he took when he took the pictures, regardless of the reason.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Well, dude knew better than to take the pictures. But, it was supposedly for his son. I can understand wanting to share w/ your FAMILY. But, he SHOULD have been more careful w/ his phone and showing the pictures. Show them to the son and his friends and then DELETE them....simple as that.

Poor guy....28 years GONE. Feel bad for him.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
While its unfortunate that he got fired because friends of his kids posted the pics. If they didn't, nobody would have known. But since taking the photos is supposed to be grounds for dismissal anyway you can't quite blame them. This whole thing shows why they say don't take any pics. Even if you never plan on them leaving your camera, you run the risk of something like this happening. Also, GM needs to enforce its policy to deter anyone else from trying the same thing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
While its unfortunate that he got fired because friends of his kids posted the pics. If they didn't, nobody would have known. But since taking the photos is supposed to be grounds for dismissal anyway you can't quite blame them. This whole thing shows why they say don't take any pics. Even if you never plan on them leaving your camera, you run the risk of something like this happening. Also, GM needs to enforce its policy to deter anyone else from trying the same thing.
They already did.

I do not agree that the photos posted were worth trashing the career of a faithful 20+ year veteran of the company.

Regardless of circumstance.

yes, the policies are written in stone.

But, they should require a "human" to review the details.

Unfortunately, lawyers do not meet the minimum system requirements to be considered "human."

That sucks.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #14
Had2F's

Drives: 2013 AGM 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
They already did.

I do not agree that the photos posted were worth trashing the career of a faithful 20+ year veteran of the company.

Regardless of circumstance.

yes, the policies are written in stone.

But, they should require a "human" to review the details.

Unfortunately, lawyers do not meet the minimum system requirements to be considered "human."

That sucks.
(Insert your favorite lawyer joke here)

The only problem with "review the details" and considering an exception based on circumstance X, Y, or Z, is that, in short order, they would have a rule with so many exceptions to the rule, that it becomes a major hassle to deal with on daily basis - at best - and worthless most of the time.

And.....you have to have a lawyer review any decision you make, so you don't overlook any of the exceptions......
Had2F's is offline   Reply With Quote