Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #57
Transdamm

Drives: BMW 650I
Stick FTW... I get disappointed when I see a HiPo car in auto. That's just me.. I wouldn't buy this car if it ONLY came in auto. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Transdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transdamm View Post
Stick FTW... I get disappointed when I see a HiPo car in auto. That's just me.. I wouldn't buy this car if it ONLY came in auto. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I don't believe anybody is arguing for auto only though
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #59
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Why buy a performance car with an auto?

Lets take away all the skill and fun....
just the opposite!..who,in their right mind wants a "slush" box in THIS car?
car "deserves",and "gets" a proper stick!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #60
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Man up and learn how to drive a stick.
i'm with you!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #61
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
2 words on why you want an automatic.

Bracket
Racing

I have the M6, and when I go to the track, I wish I had an auto. Do I get faster times than an auto. Yes. Sometimes. When everything goes well, but one little screw up, and the auto will leave me in its' mirrors.

Autos can pump out the same time all day long. Not to mention, the CTS-V that went around the 'ring and set the fastest time? Auto.

You guys that say 'Manuals only or you're a *****' need to get off your high horse. Technology in automatics has changed a lot since the 70's
don't believe you would get an argument on that point!..however,i feel,the total enjoyment of driving the camaro is "lost" by the "slush" box!..part of the driving experience for me has been shifting for the 45 years,or so,and i believe it is especially true with the zl1!..this car "begs" for a stick!.."slush" boxes are better for malibus and impalas!..just sayin!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
just the opposite!..who,in their right mind wants a "slush" box in THIS car?
car "deserves",and "gets" a proper stick!..just sayin!
off the top of my head?

• people who want the consistency of an automatic when drag racing
  • people who are physical unable to drive a manual
  • people who don't want the hassle of shifting anymore
  • people who know that an auto can outperform a manual (just like it does in the CTS-V)
  • people who can't buy a car their wife can't drive, and are unwilling to teach them how to drive stick on a 50k sports car
  • people who have grown beyond the mentality that the 'only' choice for performance is a manual
I'm sure there are other reasons out there too
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
And "slush" boxes don't exist anymore..... This ain't the 70s...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #64
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I too, was hoping an auto would be an option, but after seeing the cosmetic design of the car , it doesn't matter anymore, I'll just keep my SS and do mechanical upgrades. Good luck to Chevrolet with this one, aside from the supercharger, which every muscle car company is going into, they really don't stand out from the rest...that's MY opinion.
i agree!..to be honest,other than tearin' the sH*t out of it at a track,where the hell ya gonna run it?..on the ''autobahn" in germany?.."tons" of dough just so you can "profile" better than an 'ss?..your dough,not mine!..if ya buy it,you should "insist" they give ya company "shares" with it!....just sayin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
off the top of my head?

• people who want the consistency of an automatic when drag racing
  • people who are physical unable to drive a manual
  • people who don't want the hassle of shifting anymore
  • people who know that an auto can outperform a manual (just like it does in the CTS-V)
  • people who can't buy a car their wife can't drive, and are unwilling to teach them how to drive stick on a 50k sports car
  • people who have grown beyond the mentality that the 'only' choice for performance is a manual
I'm sure there are other reasons out there too
all "valid" points!..i guess i'm just ''set" in my ways!..used to drivin' stick for a long time,AND knowing that to me,a "slush" box is just something else to go wrong "mechanically" with the car!..just another reason,i don't like 'em!
just sayin!

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 02-11-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
all "valid" points!..i guess i'm just ''set" in my ways!..used to drivin' stick for a long time,AND knowing that to me,a "slush" box is just something else to go wrong "mechanically" with the car!..just another reason,i don't like 'em!
just sayin!
....ironically...the M6 Camaros have had more issues than the automatics...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #66
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Man, this is a tough crowd!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #67
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And "slush" boxes don't exist anymore..... This ain't the 70s...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
....ironically...the M6 Camaros have had more issues than the automatics...
apparently!..difficult to believe,but yes this IS true!.ya have to wonder.with the simple straightforward design of a "direct dive" tranny,how BOTH the tremec 6060,AND the aisin ay6 could give so much grief,UNLESS,of course they was "junk" to begin with!..there really is minimal things to go wrong with them,unless they are just "poorly" engineered!..mechanically,they are very simple in function,as opposed to the auto!..just sayin!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #68
DLB

Drives: 74 Camaro Type LT with a BB454
Manual.....unless if you have a valid reason for having an auto.... then it should be a opt for those that cant move a third pedal. .... you prove to gm that you cant move that 3rd pedal.... then they cut a 2k deal off the cars price to build you that special auto ZL1. other than that you all should rent a manual cobalt and learn to drive it! i have yet to see a auto ZR1.... but with the $$$$ you can make one yourself. this of course just my 2 cents
DLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #69
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
I personally think GM is making a mistake by not offering an auto option, especially considering the fact that more autos have sold than standards. I can assure you that there are a lot of auto SS owners that are potential buyers for the ZL1.

It's funny the way some of the manual guys assume that we're buying an auto because we can't drive a standard, or somehow aren't skilled drivers. It's ridiculous to think that we're not enthusiasts because we don't want to use a clutch. I've had just as many standard cars as manuals, and this time I chose an auto. I have a 80 mile commute to work and back every day, and I simply didn't want to deal with that third pedal. This doesn't make me lazy or incompetent, it was simply a choice and one I'm glad I made.

I also don't get the comparison made between the ZL1 and the ZR1. The Corvette is a sports car...the Camaro is a muscle car. These are two completely different vehicles. If I were to buy a ZR1 (as if I could afford it) it would most certainly be a manual, but I also wouldn't drive it every day.

I guess I just don't get all the hostility from some of the stick guys.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #70
heavyt100

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I personally think GM is making a mistake by not offering an auto option, especially considering the fact that more autos have sold than standards. I can assure you that there are a lot of auto SS owners that are potential buyers for the ZL1.

It's funny the way some of the manual guys assume that we're buying an auto because we can't drive a standard, or somehow aren't skilled drivers. It's ridiculous to think that we're not enthusiasts because we don't want to use a clutch. I've had just as many standard cars as manuals, and this time I chose an auto. I have a 80 mile commute to work and back every day, and I simply didn't want to deal with that third pedal. This doesn't make me lazy or incompetent, it was simply a choice and one I'm glad I made.

I also don't get the comparison made between the ZL1 and the ZR1. The Corvette is a sports car...the Camaro is a muscle car. These are two completely different vehicles. If I were to buy a ZR1 (as if I could afford it) it would most certainly be a manual, but I also wouldn't drive it every day.

I guess I just don't get all the hostility from some of the stick guys.

I am dumbfounded that because some people want a stick they think others shouldn't be allowed to have an automatic if they want it.

Why do they think they should determine what others can choose?

If you want a manual, get a manual. Just don't tell me I can't have an automatic if I want one.
heavyt100 is offline   Reply With Quote