Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #85
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
This is how I see it; If they offered the ZL1 in auto trans only, I would still buy it. I wouldn't let the fact that it is only offered as an M6 keep me from getting one. M6 FTW.
If i was in the market for one, it being auto would be a deal breaker for me.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #86
heavyt100

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
And that's why there should be a choice. Some folks wants sticks, others automatics.

Why shouldn't there be both?
heavyt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #87
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
And if they'd announced it as only an auto, I would've made the same statement in regards to no 6 speed offering. It's about having a choice. I personally won't lose sleep as I won't be buying one, but I'm just stating what I think would be a smarter choice for GM. The fact that the GT500 doesn't have an auto is even more reason to offer the option.

I'm guessing it will probably happen at some point anyway.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #88
heavyt100

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
The fact that the GT500 doesn't have an auto is even more reason to offer the option.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
heavyt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #89
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
It may not always be the best source, but in this case the definition is very accurate. Which part do you think is wrong?
Didn't say that specific definition was wrong, but I'll play along.

How about the "affordable" part. I don't know how deep most people's pockets are around here but to the average Joe owning a brand new Corvette is a fantasy dream car at $49K. This "affordable" Camaro will more than likely be about $50K. Like i said your bank roll may be completely different than mine but no way in hell i would call a $50k car affordable.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #90
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I must say I'm quite tired of the machismo regarding driving a stick. I will say that I can drive stick and have owned a vehicle that was a standard...and drove it for 4 years. However, have you folks that bash the autos ever had knee surgery? I have, on both knees. I had ACL surgery on my left knee (that's you're clutch-using leg, for those keeping score) in high school. If that's not enough, I'll most likely be having surgery on my left knee AGAIN to fix torn cartilage and a piece of sheared-off bone that is currently floating around causing my LEFT LEG to lock up. Am I still a ***** cause I want an auto? Talk to me after your first knee surgery...

Last edited by Blue Menace; 02-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #91
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:

How about the "affordable" part. I don't know how deep most people's pockets are around here but to the average Joe owning a brand new Corvette is a fantasy dream car at $49K. This "affordable" Camaro will more than likely be about $50K. Like i said your bank roll may be completely different than mine but no way in hell i would call a $50k car affordable.
The 1SS is in the low 30s, which is just a little more than a loaded Honda Accord. The ZL1 is the extreme of the modern Camaro line, and hasn't existed in decades. I'm sure if they had huge Brembo brakes and magnetic suspensions in the 60s the ZL1 would've been quite a bit more.

Considering the ZL1 (muscle car) will most likely be less than half the price of the ZR1 (sports car), that makes this car much more "affordable".
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #92
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

It will likely pack a little stronger punch than the CTS-V...and we can reasonably assume for $12k less....I'd say that qualifies, if not 'affordable', than a value. The philosophy of Chevy.

Another tidbit worth noting...most Corvette buyers are stretching their dollars as far as they'll go to buy one. Most are NOT rich old men in a mid-life crisis. That's the primary reason sales tanked the past two years.

You won't see a ZL1 on every corner...but for what it is...Dang!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #93
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Curb feelers and Viking orgies? Good grief... going just a bit overboard with the tangential metaphors, are we?
"Tangential metaphors": I must say, I like that. I'm writing it down for future reference.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #94
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
The Camaro, Vette and Mustang are not made for the masses like Malibu or Fusion, And the target market drops even more when they build special models like Z06, ZR1, ZL1, GT500, Cobra, Cobra R, Ford GT or Viper. It's not being insensitive but they know the small demographic they sell to and it's just business.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4

Last edited by KarFan; 02-11-2011 at 04:28 AM.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #95
scritchy

Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I must say I'm quite tired of the machismo regarding driving a stick. I will say that I can drive stick and have owned a vehicle that was a standard...and drove it for 4 years. However, have you folks that bash the autos ever had knee surgery? I have, on both knees. I had ACL surgery on my left knee (that's you're clutch-using leg, for those keeping score) in high school. If that's not enough, I'll most likely be having surgery on my left knee AGAIN to fix torn cartilage and a piece of sheared-off bone that is currently floating around causing my LEFT LEG to lock up. Am I still a ***** cause I want an auto? Talk to me after your first knee surgery...
Knee issues suck. Two surgeries on both knees so far, and a series of five injections in each knee twice a year. Now I'm just waiting until the Doc decides that my knees have fallen apart to the point of replacement being the only option. Fun times! So, I'm driving automatics until my knees get replaced and oddly enough, that doesn't bother me in the least.

It makes me laugh that people are still naive enough to generalize drivers based on their transmission. My grandmother is somewhere north of 80 years old and drives a manual (Mustang - clearly they are granny cars).
scritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #96
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
GM will sell it in only manual tranny just fine, because the auto guys will just buy manuals who want one. Know why? Becasue we can.
This whole thread has made me laugh, PQ your comments are great. I'd just like to point out that I do know a lot of auto drivers who are terrified of stick... I'm sure they could learn it easy enough... they just don't want to.

The trend these days seems to be moving to the auto. Forums 4 years ago would have had this argument and had 70-30 stick-auto drivers... now it's looking 30-70.

I can easily see why manufacturers are moving this way... us stick drivers beat the living crap out of our cars and try to warranty it! Output shafts, driveshaft bolts shearing, axles snapping... Sticks aren't gentle. We were the test bed for the massive drivetrain improvements in the ZL1.

Now, personally... I'm not a big manual fanboy... I do enjoy driving it, and I've always had more fun in manual cars, but auto's are coming a long way and I like what I'm starting to see...

That being said... I don't think the ZL1 is going to lose many sales based solely on the fact that it doesn't have an auto option. People seriously interested in this car will still buy it. Chevy knows this... Z06, ZR1, GT500, and even the older 03/04 Terminators are just a few examples.

By the way.. the point of this thread was getting an auto in the ZL1... not which transmission is manlier.
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #97
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
well, im sure GM has access to a crapload of statistics and such of REAL BUYERS of vehicles in the demographic the ZL1 is aiming for. I don't think GM made this decision at random.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #98
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
These sh*tty posts are going to stop now! I'm not talking to all those I deleted, because most were quotes of the initial one, but it's real sh*tty to post what I've read. KNOCK IT OFF.

For everyone else who commented - I'm sorry for deleting, but I couldn't stand to leave that crap up there.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote