Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Belt Wear

Who wants to take a stab at explaining why so many Turbo-heads claim that belt shredding is very common on Superchargers? (not all of them, mind you)

As far as I'm concerned, a supercharger is just another accessory, so why don't belts shred on, say...your water pump?

Thanks, I'm just tired of listening to people who may or may not know what they're talking about. I wanted to ask the people I trust.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
same reason supercharger guys always bring up turbo lag. just trying to sell one over the other. belt shreading is as common as that detonation afteraffect that I showed ya in a earlier thread. thats when you get into the 1000hp plus range on the strip and ive only seen that once with a blown 02 SS that had 1300hp. like I said each has its pros and cons it all which is best for you depends on how you like the responce of each and how deep your pockets are.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I would imagine that the stress placed on a supercharger or turbo (whatever has belts) would be MUCH greater than a regular AC or alternator belt running at normal speeds. These belts run seperately from the water pump/ac/etc, don't they? Or, are they all on the same drive? Only reason...you build up the hp and that belt is what has the most stress placed on it. I dunno....just a guess.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Personally i own a turbo car... and it's fun enough it doesn't have hugh amounts of lag but occasionally it can be a pain, you do tend to get a bit more out of turbos (power wise) than super chargers but unless your running small turbos that spin up quick or a twin turbo set up (saying this i've not had much experience of twin scroll turbos) your gonna get lag.. big turbos deliver the power further up the rev range and you have to keep them on boost or your screwed ... Superchargers (although they take power to run) are constant and give power as soon as you put your foot down, the other plus point of superchargers is that they don't heat the intake temps (which can lead to detonation).. that's why every turbo car should have proper charge cooling.... if you don't cool the charge on a turbo car then you can kiss goodbye to your engine.

My point here is that they both have their downsides... but most things do... you pays ya money, you makes ya choice... it's just down to what you prefer.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
But why is belt shredding common on superchargers?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'd like to think it isn't...and that if it occurs, then it's on very high-capacity blowers, with a bad belt...but I have no idea why that specific accusation is thrown around so often...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd like to think it isn't...and that if it occurs, then it's on very high-capacity blowers, with a bad belt...but I have no idea why that specific accusation is thrown around so often...
I think as has been said it is a known problem with superchargers... the fact is though that if people look after the cars properly (do regular checks ie... condition of the belts) things like this can be avoided... it's probably due to lack of proper maintenance than a fault with the equipment.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote