Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #113
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Seems like this thread is picking up some good momentum! Woohoo!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #114
brtaus

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Hey man I respect you and all your bretheren, you are just doing your job, and these A holes that break the law want to blame Every officer every time they are stopped for an unjustified stop.. There is always a reason that the officer has stopped someone, never because they didn't like the way the person looks, or the kind of car he is driving, unless there is some sort of safety violation with the car.

These people need to own up and just obey the law... I am sick of reading these threads where it is always the cops fault for stopping them.(most of the time they will admit somewhere in the thread they were speeding or some such foolishness). usually they are repeat offenders and still want to complain.. What an Idiot they are.. and they continue to be idiots by not learning from their mistakes.
Well said my friend.
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #115
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
100% WRONG!!!!

Your confusing RADAR detectors with laser. Ever since i've had my valentine i've not been pulled over at all. Radar detectors are a very good early warning device as long as you use it correctly.
As long as the police are using the constant beam type radar and not the instant on type... those they don't pull the trigger on until they see you and then it's too late, you are busted...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #116
DSworo9
Original Polish Memeber

Drives: 2002 WS6 Trans Am
Remember, It's only illegal when you get caught. Go faster next time till you lose the cop.

“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”
DSworo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #117
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Quote:
As long as the police are using the constant beam type radar and not the instant on type... those they don't pull the trigger on until they see you and then it's too late, you are busted...
If your the only person on the road. Sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #118
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Hey man I respect you and all your bretheren, you are just doing your job, and these A holes that break the law want to blame Every officer every time they are stopped for an unjustified stop.. There is always a reason that the officer has stopped someone, never because they didn't like the way the person looks, or the kind of car he is driving, unless there is some sort of safety violation with the car.

These people need to own up and just obey the law... I am sick of reading these threads where it is always the cops fault for stopping them.(most of the time they will admit somewhere in the thread they were speeding or some such foolishness). usually they are repeat offenders and still want to complain.. What an Idiot they are.. and they continue to be idiots by not learning from their mistakes.

PS I have been driving for over 40 years and I have never been stopped for any reason other than when I deserved it... Good job Officers, and get the Idiots off the street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
If a 5.56mm bullet went 5fps instead of 3000fps, would it be as likely to kill you?
Yeah...but then it's not a gun. You're obviously throwing that round. j.k.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #119
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
If a 5.56mm bullet went 5fps instead of 3000fps, would it be as likely to kill you?

Yes. I lived in Germany from 1983-85, have you? It takes a lot more money and effort to get a license for the average German, and they show a level of consideration (faster traffic to the left) that I've never seen on American highways. The autobahns are also better built, with very large radius turns, and barriers that prevent anyone from crossing the median.

The question was, are lower speeds inherently safer. Ask yourself, 'is an accident at 5mph safer than an accident at 100mph'?

You have less time to react at higher speeds, even if you're reaction speed is the same, because of the rate at which you are traveling (your speed). Notice the extra 50 feet required to stop from 70mph vs 60mph? That's the ground you cover just slowing to 60mph (meanwhile someone going 30mph could have come to full stop and you're still going 60mph)

I asked you a question to answer yours. How many fatalities do you think we'd have if speeds were limited to 5mph? Answering that honestly will answer your initial question of whether or not slower is inherently safer.

I'm telling you that they are associated with driving faster. Good luck causing a fatality in a modern car governed to 5mph.
force = mass x (velocity / time)
Raise the force in the accident and you make it less safe for the participants.

We're losing over 37,000 people a year in the balance between safety and convenience. How many more to fill your need for speed outside the track?
We're nitpicking here, although I appreciate your opposition. It gives me a chance to further explain and demonstrate my points and fill holes in my discussion.

Is an accident safer at 5 mph than 100 mph? I believe it is safer, but it is also more likely. You'll have 1 accident at 100 mph and 100 at 5 mph. It might on average be safer, but someone will still die somehow. Is your solution that we all jog at 5 mph instead of using cars at all?

You stated that you lived in Germany and that it takes more to get a license there. What I'm proposing is that we implement similar standards here. The way people behave when they drive is downright reckless, but somehow that is acceptable in this country. If the average driver were more responsible, then fatalities would drop. Since irresponsible drivers are driving fast, people die. Maybe if everyone on the road put down the phone, stopped messing with their GPS unit on the freeway, and used their blinkers, we'd all be safer. Unfortunately, the irresponsible ones tearing down the highway at the speed limit with a coffee cup in one hand and a burger in the other stop those of us driving at the same speed or faster from arriving safely. You're argument proposes that speed is the factor, but I'd much rather get passed by someone driving fast between the lines than someone driving slow with neither hand on the wheel. When the first person passes me, I have no complaints. When the second person passes me, I wonder who they're going to kill. In Germany, the first person is far more likely to get a driver's license than the second. Why do we let the second person on the road in the United States?

You're also missing an important variable in the highway math you're doing. While you have the same reaction time but travel further on the highway than on other roads, everyone else is moving at a similar rate in the same direction. As a result, you are less likely to find someone at a complete stop on a highway than any other road because other roads have intersections that require either yielding or stopping altogether. Traffic tends to be gradual, so people on the highway expecting to go 65 will find themselves gradually reaching the 45 mark. Meanwhile, someone driving on a major street will find themselves going 45 but having to stop abruptly because a fool decided to shoot the gap between 2 cars, nearly causing a collision. This produces 2 statistics worthy of discussion: intersections cause more accidents than highways and highway pileups tend to affect more vehicles at a time. That being said, the sheer number of intersection collisions outnumbers highway collisions by such a large number that the fatality statistic you posted is more likely to be happening below highway speed or by people driving recklessly fast on roads where traffic is going substantially slower.

I'm not advocating the repeal of every speed limit. I'm advocating that speed be enforced more frequently, that speed limits be raised according to that enforcement, and that other rules be enforced more frequently. This policy change creates a culture of obeying the law rather than regularly exceeding the law by 5 mph or more.

On the other hand, you're proposing 5 mph speed limits. Maybe we all should start looking for ponies to train.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #120
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
Lets all bet on how soon he gets another ticket.
We could get some type of pool going with dates and times to buy Winner can get a $50 gift certificate from their favorite camaro5 forum vender.

But really just make sure you always fight these speeding tickets in court because a lot of the times the cop doesn't show and the ticket will be dismissed. Or they will drop the points and just make you pay the fines. Not getting points is the most important issue. At the rate your going your license will be suspended with a few more of those tickets.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #121
Seminole

Drives: 07 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Is an accident safer at 5 mph than 100 mph? I believe it is safer
/thread
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #122
ELDuran

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro (Rally Yellow)
I have a question for any officer as well. This happened to me this past weekend. I was driving back home from the bank when a police officer going the opposite direction saw me and never took his eyes off me. I saw through my rearview mirror that he was trying to bust a U-turn. I'm not %100 sure but I know he wanted to pull me over. I saw his intentions. I don't have a front plate yet and my windows are tinted so I know he had reasons. Anywho, he got held a few seconds by regular traffic and I saw my opportunity and decided to make a quick left unto an alley and then just drove out of sight. Have no idea if the cop saw me or not but if he did, is this considered illegal? He never turned on his siren or anything. Had he caught up to me, I would have stopped no doubt but would he nail me for evading an officer? Even though I didn't technically? Just curious. Thanks!

ELDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #123
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDuran View Post
One time I went to Krisppie cream donuts and bought a full box of donuts. As I was leaving the place I made an illegal left turn and a black and white pulled me over. I grabbed the box of donuts and put it on my lap. When the officer came to my window he asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over"? I then grabbed the box of donuts and replied, "cus you can smell 'em?"

j/k
Wow, I didn't know Gabriel Iglesias was on our forum!

Plagiarism's bad, mmkay?
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #124
ELDuran

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro (Rally Yellow)
Yup he's hella funny......that's why I wrote j/k at the bottom.

ELDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #125
SuperTrooper

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
I have a question for any officer as well. This happened to me this past weekend. I was driving back home from the bank when a police officer going the opposite direction saw me and never took his eyes off me. I saw through my rearview mirror that he was trying to bust a U-turn. I'm not %100 sure but I know he wanted to pull me over. I saw his intentions. I don't have a front plate yet and my windows are tinted so I know he had reasons. Anywho, he got held a few seconds by regular traffic and I saw my opportunity and decided to make a quick left unto an alley and then just drove out of sight. Have no idea if the cop saw me or not but if he did, is this considered illegal? He never turned on his siren or anything. Had he caught up to me, I would have stopped no doubt but would he nail me for evading an officer? Even though I didn't technically? Just curious. Thanks!

Techincally you were evading because you thought he was coming after you for a volation(s) otherwise you would not have darted off into a alley as you say instead of continuing on the way you were going. Plus this makes the officer that much more likely to stop a Camaro or similar type car in the future hoping to catch the one that got away.

I can only speak for here in NC but here you could not have been with evading but he sure could have put the hammer down on you for anything and everything that he could find at that point had he found you.

If you know you have illegal things on your car, you have to expect to get nailed sooner or later but ducking is going to make things worse.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #126
RogueSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6 #100296
Quote:
Well, you're asking a very open ended question of officers, like me, who weren't there.

That being said, I likely wouldn't try and arrest you, as I don't think I could articulate that you were fleeing, HOWEVER, I certainly would have found you and stopped you.

You start trying to avoid me, it goes from me wanting to make a traffic stop to me thinking you have warrants, or drugs, or guns or something along those lines in your car.

I work in a metro area, I deal with a lot of less than honest folks. To me, people trying to lose me for a traffic violation makes no sense. I know all my fellow officers here would tell you the same thing.

I probably write 1 ticket for every 10 traffic stops I make...doing what you're describing would make you that 1. Unless it's blatantly dangerous, or blatantly stupid I usually give warnings, but trying to ditch me...you're going to get some paper handed to you. Next time, just drive normal, if he pulls you over he pulls you over. I know one thing, if that were me, your car is burned into my mind, you'd get stopped the next time I saw you, because I think you're trying to hide something.

All work by JDP Motorsports

04/14/12: 381 RWHP 383 RWTQ at JDP Motorsports
RogueSS is offline   Reply With Quote