Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #57
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I completely agree with you about the sound, but I would take the power. Imagine pulling up next to a Mustang GT with your 350hp V6 and beating the piss out of it.
I've read that the 3.6 was designed for displacements of 2.8 to 4.0L and by my calculations that extra 0.4 would bring it to almost the same 340 as the 5.7 Hemi in the Charger R/T (and probably the Challenger R/T) and I bet GM could squeeze out a few more ponies if it didn't need to sound like a Cadi.

I also don't see why a v6 has to sound different than a v8. I can understand that the factory would tune the exhaust note differently on the traditional base v6 because of who they expect to buy them (same goes for the imports). But if they were building a v6 to fight American v8s, I bet they could make it sound like an American v8...
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
My dad was telling me about a friend of his who, back in the 70's or so, took a car that just had a base V6 and then tuned it so that it sounded almost exactly like a big V8, or so I've been told. But there is only so much that GM could do to make it like that from the factory since they also have to deal with emissions and mileage. Plus sound does not equal power so it is possible to get a V6 to sound like a V8, and it is possible to get one to perform like one, but to get both at the same time may prove impossible
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #59
jmsjags

Drives: '02 Mustang GT
Well I have a v6 Camaro with an aftermarket exhaust. It sounds pretty good when it's idling but when you punch the gas you can tell it's a v6
jmsjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #60
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I also don't see why a v6 has to sound different than a v8. I can understand that the factory would tune the exhaust note differently on the traditional base v6 because of who they expect to buy them (same goes for the imports). But if they were building a v6 to fight American v8s, I bet they could make it sound like an American v8...

the sound has a LOT to do with the firing order of they cylinders as well as the separation of the respective firings. for example, is the 3.8 3800 V6, we can take the 360 deg of the crank, and divide it by the number of cylinders, which gives us 60 deg, but the block is a 90 deg v, this difference in the degrees of the pistons results in a very specific sound, and as anyone with a 3800 v6 with a custom exhaust can tell you, we get massive drone at about 1500-2500 RPM, because there is a lot of resonance in the sound at that level

60 deg V6's like the new 3.6l dont have this issue as much, as the firing separation (60 deg) is the same as the angle separation of the pistons (60 deg) however from a sound point of view, 60 deg v6's have too much separation in the firing to have a good note

a V8 on the other has has a firing separation of 45 deg, which allows for very little resonance which would get annoying, and enough overlap of the sound to give a good note

really any multiple of 4 will give a decent exhaust note, w16 engines sound monstrous
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #61
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Saw a dealer tagged Caddy CTS w/ the DI 3.6 today. Man, did she look nice. Realllly want to take one for a spin!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #62
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Saw my first 08 Caddy in person on Monday. I didn't think it was too impressive from the back, but the front is great. Sides are OK. In my opinion not the best looking car, but still pretty good. The real good stuff is in the driving.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #63
mprhead5

Drives: 04 MAzdaspeed miata 250whp
I get enough grief as it is with my car. I can only imagine what people would say when you proudly proclaimed that you had a v6 camaro. The whole point of a muscle car is the V8. Well unless your 18 years old and a v8 is too hazardus to your health. I probebly would have killed myself it I had started with a V8. If your are an enthusiest get the v8.

current Ride: 04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 250whp 13.3 1/4m
mprhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #64
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I ] it will be designed with all three systems!
Is this dead-certain or just speculative?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #65
Grape Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
the sound has a LOT to do with the firing order of they cylinders as well as the separation of the respective firings. for example, is the 3.8 3800 V6, we can take the 360 deg of the crank, and divide it by the number of cylinders, which gives us 60 deg, but the block is a 90 deg v, this difference in the degrees of the pistons results in a very specific sound, and as anyone with a 3800 v6 with a custom exhaust can tell you, we get massive drone at about 1500-2500 RPM, because there is a lot of resonance in the sound at that level

60 deg V6's like the new 3.6l dont have this issue as much, as the firing separation (60 deg) is the same as the angle separation of the pistons (60 deg) however from a sound point of view, 60 deg v6's have too much separation in the firing to have a good note

a V8 on the other has has a firing separation of 45 deg, which allows for very little resonance which would get annoying, and enough overlap of the sound to give a good note

really any multiple of 4 will give a decent exhaust note, w16 engines sound monstrous

I think you are mistaken in several ways:

The 90 degree V6s only sound weird if they have straight rod journals, a split journal allows an even firing order.

4 is a multiple of 4 but I've never heard any non-ricer complement the exhaust note of a 4 banger.

10 is not a multiple of 4, but I think the Viper sounds pretty good.

Here are a couple thoughts I just had on the issue:

Cylinder size: You rarely see a 4 or 6 that displaces more than 0.5 liter per cylinder, but V8s tend to start around .6 and work up towards 1 liter per cylinder. The bigger V8s tend to be the ones that have the better sound.

Cam timing: Most muscle cars with V6s get the same cam that the engine gets when it is installed in a family sedan or station wagon whereas the V8 car would generally get a slightly more aggressive cam from the factory. I know that a cam will sure change a V8’s exhaust note.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #66
Grape Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Is this dead-certain or just speculative?
Specualtion, and I for one think that DI (with it's lean burn mode) will replace DOD/AFM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
NOT speculation. I stated that about the prototype Gen V engine Wards did an article on. I think I called it the "DI V8"...

check here, this powerplant has everything!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Specualtion, and I for one think that DI (with it's lean burn mode) will replace DOD/AFM.
Why does it need to? The two can work in conjunction with each other as far as I know.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #69
Grape Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
NOT speculation. I stated that about the prototype Gen V engine Wards did an article on. I think I called it the "DI V8"...

check here, this powerplant has everything!
That is hand-made technology demonstrator not a prototype. It is also E85 only, and I don't think either feature will make it to the Gen V small block.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #70
Grape Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why does it need to? The two can work in conjunction with each other as far as I know.
They could, but would they?

AFM and DI's lean burn mode are each only effective only under light loads as they reduce power. From what I've read the GPs won't go into 4 cyl mode over about 70 on the freeway. So when would you use both, cruising at 40?

They both fill the same roll, but DI adds power and (as implemented in the L76) AFM sucks power.

I think we are more likely to see mild hybrid stuff (shutting of at stoplights) than we are to see AFM.