Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #379
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm sure they could charge $80,000 for it and several hundred people will still buy it. But how will that reflect on the car and/or the team of people behind it?
A $80K ZL1 from GM would be a disaster. They;d never get their money back.
The key is "value". At $50K the ZL1 represents value for what it is. I'd buy one for $50k. But I wouldn't buy one for $60k.
It's been said numerous times...the ZL1 is competing with the GT500. It has to be priced accordingly.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #380
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
A $80K ZL1 from GM would be a disaster. They;d never get their money back.
The key is "value". At $50K the ZL1 represents value for what it is. I'd buy one for $50k. But I wouldn't buy one for $60k.
It's been said numerous times...the ZL1 is competing with the GT500. It has to be priced accordingly.
Very good points, and you've got to figure...for 60k a person could be in a CTS-V coupe...let me tell you there's a whole lot more going for the Cadillac....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #381
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Chevy needs to come in at 45,999 for the base of this car. They need to attract buyers to it. Starting it over 50k would be a huge mistake. The younger generation that wants this car (im 33) cant quite afford a car that will be 60k after taxes titles etc. Sure some can here and there but the masses can't. At this point you are into the Vette crowd and a base vette making 436 (possibly 450 by then) will run with a ZL1 making 550 just due to weight.

They need to undercut the corvette otherwise they are only going to compete with themselves. Ford doesn't have a vette so the cobra can be priced where ever since that is the flagship.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #382
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
I went to Platsburg yesterday and the GM salesperson showed me the phamplet on the new SLP- ZL1 Package = 750HP = Base price at $80K + the price of the SS..,
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #383
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Chevy needs to come in at 45,999 for the base of this car. They need to attract buyers to it. Starting it over 50k would be a huge mistake. The younger generation that wants this car (im 33) cant quite afford a car that will be 60k after taxes titles etc. Sure some can here and there but the masses can't. At this point you are into the Vette crowd and a base vette making 436 (possibly 450 by then) will run with a ZL1 making 550 just due to weight.

They need to undercut the corvette otherwise they are only going to compete with themselves. Ford doesn't have a vette so the cobra can be priced where ever since that is the flagship.
You can be very sure that a base price of $45,999 for the ZL1 is not going to happen. The base price of the ZL1 will be close to $50,000, as is the GT500 base price. The ZL1 is the flagship Camaro and will be priced competitively with the GT500, the flagship Mustang.

There is not much cross shopping between the Camaro and Corvette. They are two different types of vehicles with different target markets.

Last edited by GoldenBear; 05-18-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #384
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I went to Platsburg yesterday and the GM salesperson showed me the phamplet on the new SLP- ZL1 Package = 750HP = Base price at $80K + the price of the SS..,
That is why the SLP ZL1 wasn't selling. No body want's to pay that kind of money for a Camaro. Why would you pay more for a Camaro then you would for a ZR1 Corvette?

Same thing happened to Furd in 2008 when they did the GT500 KR. It was priced over $80k and they can still be found sitting on dealership lots today.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #385
tweeter81

Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
You can very sure that a base prices of $45,999 for the ZL1 is not going to happen. The base price of the ZL1 will be close to $50,000, as is the GT500 base price. The ZL1 is the flagship Camaro and will be priced competitively with the GT500, the flagship Mustang.

There is not much cross shopping between the Camaro and Corvette. They are two different types of vehicles with different target markets.
I agree with this and I would add to it, that since the ZL1 will be the top-of-the-line Camaro, most options will probably be built into the base price of the car. My guess would be that there will be very few options and they will only add $2K-$3K to the base price if you opt (pun intended) for them.

My Cadillac CTS-V is an example, in the first gen Vs, the only options were moonroof or not, and the option to have the dealer install upgraded shocks and a Corsa exhaust system. And those last two don't really count because they were not factory options. So really the moonroof was the only option.

In the new CTS-Vs, I don't believe there have been many options either (I think all the fancy gadgets like NAV, heated seats, Bluetooth, etc.) are standard. Now, Cadillac has the "Black Diamond Edition", but that is a different situation as well.

So, GM has a history of making a lot of things standard on the really high end, slightly limited trim packages of their sports cars.

My guess would be a fully optioned ZL1 will be $53,000.00.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
tweeter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #386
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post

My guess would be a fully optioned ZL1 will be $53,000.00.
eh I hope so... but those SSX wheels have got to be like $4k alone so Id say its slightly North of 53k optioned out with sunroof, auto tranny perhaps, interior trim package, stripe package
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #387
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
C&D was wrong on the GT-R and LF-A pricing when I was looking at those, low by a considerable margin.

Based on that, this is going to start at ~$55k imo.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #388
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
You can be very sure that a base price of $45,999 for the ZL1 is not going to happen. The base price of the ZL1 will be close to $50,000, as is the GT500 base price. The ZL1 is the flagship Camaro and will be priced competitively with the GT500, the flagship Mustang.

I respectfully disagree. There is no cross shopping because right now they are in totally different markets. 34k for an SS and 45k+ for the base vette.

Once you put a camaro in the same price range people with that kind of money will choose the vette over the camaro 8 of 10 times since they will have around equal performance.

The pure reason for the ZL1 and the purchase of one is performance. It isn't like buying a V6 because you "like the car". The ZL1 will be bought for uber performance which is exactly what the vette is.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #389
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. There is no cross shopping because right now they are in totally different markets. 34k for an SS and 45k+ for the base vette.

Once you put a camaro in the same price range people with that kind of money will choose the vette over the camaro 8 of 10 times since they will have around equal performance.

The pure reason for the ZL1 and the purchase of one is performance. It isn't like buying a V6 because you "like the car". The ZL1 will be bought for uber performance which is exactly what the vette is.
Well...You've got a good theory...but I don't think those looking for a Corvette will ever buy a Camaro...and vice-versa...despite having similar performance characteristics, there are significant differences between the cars that keep buyers apart.

If I remember correctly, it's been previously stated that they aren't "afraid" to step on the Corvette's toes...because there's nothing to step on. This car will compete against other 2+2s.

This really isn't all that different from worrying that a Crew-cab Silverado would cannibalize Suburban sales. They're similarly priced...and they're both amazing trucks....but they're both very different vehicles.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #390
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well...You've got a good theory...but I don't think those looking for a Corvette will ever buy a Camaro...and vice-versa...despite having similar performance characteristics, there are significant differences between the cars that keep buyers apart.

And it's been previously stated that they aren't "afraid" to step on the Corvette's toes...because there's nothing to step on.
But this will be the first time they are actually doing it and "they" have no idea what effect the actual market will have.

I for one have owned a 97 SS a 68GTO and my father owned 2 vettes growing up. I currently want a 2ss and would love a ZL1 but to be honest for 50k I would take a new 3LT vette instead in a heartbeat.

So I don't think you are correct that one wouldn't buy the other. I think you are correct that a person looking for a vette would not buy a camaro. But a person buying a ZL1 might opt for the vette. I know a bunch that had GT500 and opted for a vette due to the similar price tag. I can easily see the same thing happen chevy to chevy
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #391
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
but the only performance area that the base vette will have over the zl1 is handling... granted thats a HUGE area, but for the HP junkies and people who want max power for their buck, ZL-1 will still be a better option... so no, for reasons people are buying the ZL-1, I do not think they would opt for a vette instead...

I sure woudlnt, Id rather have the extra power the ZL-1 will have, with probably better straight line numbers than the base vette
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #392
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
But this will be the first time they are actually doing it and "they" have no idea what effect the actual market will have.

I for one have owned a 97 SS a 68GTO and my father owned 2 vettes growing up. I currently want a 2ss and would love a ZL1 but to be honest for 50k I would take a new 3LT vette instead in a heartbeat.

So I don't think you are correct that one wouldn't buy the other. I think you are correct that a person looking for a vette would not buy a camaro. But a person buying a ZL1 might opt for the vette. I know a bunch that had GT500 and opted for a vette due to the similar price tag. I can easily see the same thing happen chevy to chevy
You'd be surprised at the market research they do before deciding things like this....Personally, I don't see an issue. Time will tell if the people at Chevy see one, and whether or not they were right.

I'm planning to buy a ZL1 shortly after it's released...but I need those extra seats, and want the style/comfort/standard equipment of a Camaro. So a comparable 1LT Corvette (in price) is not in the cards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
but the only performance area that the base vette will have over the zl1 is handling... granted thats a HUGE area, but for the HP junkies and people who want max power for their buck, ZL-1 will still be a better option... so no, for reasons people are buying the ZL-1, I do not think they would opt for a vette instead...

I sure woudlnt, Id rather have the extra power the ZL-1 will have, with probably better straight line numbers than the base vette
I imagine even in handling the ZL1 will make a base Corvette sweat...maybe not the Grand Sport...but the LT models? Very possible, imo....