Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #407
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Another quick thought about the Corvette.....GM's just announced a major investment in the Bowling Green plant...the C7 is around the corner...who's to say they don't move the entire range up the performance/price scale and let Camaro have some space?

Just a thought....
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #408
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Another quick thought about the Corvette.....GM's just announced a major investment in the Bowling Green plant...the C7 is around the corner...who's to say they don't move the entire range up the performance/price scale and let Camaro have some space?

Just a thought....
to be honest, I kinda hope this is what they do ... then you will see a little less corvettes on the road if they become more expensive and thus, more rare/exotic/ etc. ... personally I would like to keep my ZL-1 forever assuming I actually get one, and then maybe buy a C8 in 10 years or so or less? maybe the C8 will be even more expensive / rare than the C7 ... and have a nice garage of classic american cars

... let alone do I even really know what Im doing tomorrow
Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #409
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post

My point is that if someone is in the market for a performance car and has $$$$ to blow they will not dip to the lower quality less performance "muscle car" range, BUT if that model produced a compelling flagship that tripped into the pricier performance car range it will be cross shopped.

Here is my best example. The younger or less well off crowd that wants a performance vehicle with no current brand/model bias will cross shop
Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger, WRX/STI, EVO, 370Z, possibly Accord Coupe (and im sure you can throw a few others in there)

The folks with the means to push their purchase to the next level of performance car will generally cross shop

GT500, Vette, Caymen, Boxter, Elise (few know about these anyway), and the GT-R, Viper, Carrera at the high end

With the entry of a 50k+ ZL1 I can't see how you wouldn't add it to this second list. The GT500 is there...why wouldn't the ZL1.

I think you need to step back and look at this from another lense, one of the general public. Most aren't enthusiasts like us, but they still have the money and want to play. They are the majority of your higher end performance car buyers, not us

Disclaimer - not trying to start an argument of any kind. This is all in fun and such just trying to be more realistic about the marketing of this model
I agree about cross shopping, I dont care about 2 or 4 seats what I was looking for was the best muscle/sports car that I could afford. My first criteria is always looks, then speed/performance and finally handling. I checked out the Mustang, Challenger, 370z and used Vettes on the internet to see which was better suited for my needs and in the end liked the Camaro the best.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #410
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
then again, the only vet to run 12 flat would be the grand sport or higher model, and the GS starts at just over 55k... the gt 500 starts at 48k and the zl1 will likely start around the same.
I looked on Ebay just yesterday. Saw a brand new 2011 GS for $48k "buy it now". I'm thinking if you buy a $48k GS and supercharge it. You'd have Zr1 performance. For about 1/2 the price.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #411
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Wink SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
I looked on Ebay just yesterday. Saw a brand new 2011 GS for $48k "buy it now". I'm thinking if you buy a $48k GS and supercharge it. You'd have Zr1 performance. For about 1/2 the price.
NOT even close [performance has a lot more to do then just horses ]
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #412
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
NOT even close [performance has a lot more to do then just horses ]
Sorry it would be close. The GS is no slouch in the handling dept. Granted the Zr1 is better. The 2 cars weigh almost the same. There are SCed GS's making more than the 638hp the Zr1 makes...they would take the ZR1 in a drag race. Then lose on a road course. Of course the ZR1 is the better car. But performance between the 2 would be close.

Last edited by Ltespd; 06-22-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Ltespd is offline   Reply With Quote