Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #505
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
I can't believe people are seriously complaining about the darn steering wheel so much.
I agree, and I also find it hard to comprehend that some people are complaining about anything at all. I have witnessed, participated in and been a part of the entire Camaro trek from Gen 1 to the present. Raced, wrenched, wrecked and restored them. Some people, owners and commenters alike, have unreasonable detractions, demands or expectations for the current Camaro in my opinion. We surely had valid gripes in past models over lenghty periods of time. But now,....I don't think so. Enjoy what you have and appreciate what is coming. We are fortunate, very fortunate indeed...as they say you don't know what you had until it's gone. And I hope that time is not too near.....let the good times roll! Chevy is doing it's level best to give us a Camaro product we all can be proud of. The development and technology is fresh, appealing, and world class. You also will be hard pressed to find factory race cars with creature comforts such as the ZL1 anywhere else for the same competitive price. It's a bargain...going to be worth every penny and then some. I have my online front row seat for today at Chicago. I feel there will be more excitement as the day unfolds. We have only just begun!
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #506
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Quote:
I have my online front row seat for today at Chicago. I feel there will be more excitement as the day unfolds. We have only just begun!
Is there another product announcement today?
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #507
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Did you guys nots read the live chat? they mentioned about 6 times that the suede interior(wheel, shifter, dash) is OPTIONAL!!! they didnt mention what it would be replaced with for standered but i would assume leather and not the cheap hard plastic in the SS.
The exterior is done correct. Ed during the unveiling explained that its used for cooling, and aero dynamics.
The point here is GM did there reasearch when building this car. Its functional to the tee. everything from engine cooling to suspension/brake cooling has been addressed.
The interior may not be your cup of tea but whos saying gm wont change some thigs here and there. it doesnt get built until 2012 which gives them plently of time to make little changes like the steering wheel, blah blah blah.

Good job GM on this monster. I cant wait to have this beauty sitting on my driveway come next year. hopefully its available is jetstream/le mans blue.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #508
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Drives: 2SSRS REVOLUTIONSS
KUDOS, Proud day to be a Chevy Lover & Camaro Owner
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #509
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Heres an exploded view of both the ZL1's LSA and the CTS-V's LSA.

If you look close at the exhaust manifolds in those pics, I think that is where the Camaro has lost a few ponies to the Caddy's version of the LSA. One is a log style, and the Caddy looks more like a cast shorty header. Especially look at the Caddy's passenger side manifold. You can tell they don't merge until near the collector.

The LS3 also suffers from horrible cast manifolds. Headers really wake up the LS3, and look like they should do wonders for the LSA also.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #510
slp427

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM w/IO Int SLP ZL427
Thumbs up

Has this link been posted yet? This is from Chevy's website...nice pics...

ZL-1

slp427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #511
zora2mac8
Deano

Drives: Cyber Gray Metallic SS
This is awesome.. whether it is badged the Z28 or the ZL-1.. does this mean now if the Z comes out its gonna be lower power or higher? .. could it be that camaro is gonna made a sub car to go against the boss and call it the Z28? wtf lets make a monsterrrr

HTML Code:
http://ny5thgen.com/ZORAMAC8%20Z.htm
zora2mac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #512
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4827 View Post
Suede on the dash! Who came up with that?
Lamborghini
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #513
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
meh, I'll just wait for the ZL1 convertible..., minus the rims
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #514
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
ZL1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: drool::characte r0182:
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #515
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Why does it need dual fogs lights??????????????

That would have been a great place for some brake cooling ducts...
It took 4 pages for someone to say this?!?!?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong I love the car. I think the interior is very good. I like the steering wheel, the shifter is infinitely better, the needles are way better in my opinion too. But this thing isn't a rally car. I seriously am asking what the deal is with the 4 fog lamps? What was the logic behind that? I know they talked about it.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #516
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Mixed Emotions

First off, I'm very pleased to see GM moving forward with a performance orientated vehicle in these troubled times. Its nice to feel like they are listening to what we the the people want regardless of impending govt regulations and continually increasing fuel prices. In America, we want what we want and thats all there is to it. Ford has been on top of that and never let go. GM is FINALLY catching up. I cringe when I think of the sales lost at the discontinuation of the F-body a decade ago. With all of that time off, you'd think they would have developed a "killer" strategy and released a full line of the new Camaro to not only compete with Ford but to blow them away right from the get go? Regardless ... they are still persuing and thats a good sign!

As for the ZL1 ... Overall I think its a nice car but I dont feel the moniker is at all desreved or correct. As previously stated, this was an engine designation, not a model. Further, it was the BADEST engine available. Heck! it was the baddest engine ever offered. Hence, IMO, this designation if used again, should apply to something like a TVS2300 blown 427ci engine pkg. THEN you'd have my undivided attention and support of using that nomenclature. With the LSA being used when there is a better eng pkg available (the LS9), the use of the designation ZL1 just isnt right. Why not put that into the Camaro? Its not like its really going to compete with or take away from the Corvette considering the weight difference. Which leads me to another point: the weight. I recall reading something about the Z28 (as it was refered to previously) being redesigned and significantly lighter. I know we havent heard a final weight yet but after reading all the available material and doing some quick math, I highly doubt its going to be any lighter than the SS.

The car is a nice change. They have obviously put alot of time and effort into it but I think they are trying to please too many people with one car. Some people want a bare bones badass and some want luxury with thier power. With a name like ZL1, it shouldnt get an automatic transmission. The people who want an AT arent familiar with what ZL1 means to the Camaro enthusiast. Those people need to go buy an SS. With that said, why so much attention to the luxury? If you want pretty nice sparkly stuff, the 2SS is for you. Give the manly men the super badass bare bones killer car they dream of. A Z28 should have all the handling mods possible and the LSA. A ZL1 should have a rediculous powerplant, stick only, maybe even a straight axle rear with 4.10s but it certianly should be lighter weight and less frills. A ZL1 shouldnt have a power passenger seat. Heck, it shouldnt have a power driver's seat. I can see the suede inserts in the seats as it really is functional in holding the person in place but on the dash, steering wheel & shifter knob??? (and yes, I read something about being an option). While I'm happy that GM is giving us something, I just feel they should use the names better and give us the options.

Personal regards to the car: I like the rear spoiler, exhaust, 3.73 gears, suede inserts in the seats only, the hood looks great and I love the fact that its functional. The wheels are cool, I hope they make it to production. (I loved the LS7 COPO concept wheel and was majorly bummed when they were not available). The suspension I cant comment on as I have yet to drive one. The only thing I'm not feeling asthetically is the front bumper cover. Everything else looks great. Lets hope it is reasonably priced. I'd like to think we could see stickers boasting $47,500 to $54,900 depending on options.

I will keep my rediculously modified SSRS as its paid for and makes 866RWHP but I was so looking forward to what was in store and was hoping to buy one and leave it alone. I guess I'm still waiting for that one to be released.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #517
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
I'll put this is other words since my last post was deleted. I was told that this was the Z28 from the folks here on this website. When did it change?
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #518
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
All good but dual mode exhaust is just a marketing gimmick.
"Eco Boost" is a marketing gimmick. Dual mode exhaust is the name for an actual feature.

They could have called it "flappy-valve loud pipes" and it'd still open up under high RPM conditions to decrease back-pressure and increase sound-pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
Don't get me wrong I love the car. I think the interior is very good. I like the steering wheel, the shifter is infinitely better, the needles are way better in my opinion too. But this thing isn't a rally car. I seriously am asking what the deal is with the 4 fog lamps? What was the logic behind that? I know they talked about it.
The top light is a daytime running light, and the lower light is a functioning HID fog lamp.

Many complained the RS-package equipped vehicles did not have real fog lamps and so they took the space in the ZL1's fascia to integrate that feature.

At first it looked awkward and misplaced to me...but I've gotten used to it...now I really like the look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltmark View Post
I'll put this is other words since my last post was deleted. I was told that this was the Z28 from the folks here on this website. When did it change?
When GM decided it would.

Remember, as informed as we are...it's all educated guesswork until the company comes out and confirms things. To our credit, and yours, we got the high-po engine and other stuff pretty correct.