Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
He ran it up on the dyno ... But didn't drive It.
So my last post...I feel like I am beating a dead horse.......but this IS a horrible tuner if he didn't run it on the street. A supercharged tune is MUCH more complex than a NA tune and it has to be run on the dyno and street tuned in my humble opinion.

I hope he didn't charge you much for this "tune."
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would have to agree with everyone else.you can s/c,put a cam in,turbo it,or what ever,the secret to a car running it's best,is a good tune.your installer may be very good with mustangs and may be a super guy,but sounds like he is not that familiar with our cars.that is why ted at jannetty and the other sponsors on this forum are very good at what they do.they did all the leg work and testing before they touched any of our cars.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
+1 bad tune. A street drive and a little data logging is a must for a good tune. My tuner beats the $##$ out of my car on his test drives (Me in the passenger seat)

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
If it's done it since the tune...then the tune is wrong. Misfires don't have to be from being lean and I think yours is actually rich. 10 on your AF gauge is EXTREMELY rich.

I'd pull the plugs and see what they tell you. I think you're going to find that your tuner set it rich to be safe for pump gas....many tuners think running it hog rich makes it safer....reality is...not so much.

100% agree. If your showing 10:1 AF your drowning the spark as well as washing down the cylinders.....not good at all.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
If you were going to have a custom tune then why did you buy the Whipple tuner? Just curious.
I did the install myself, and originally had a stock exhaust. Was going to leave it at that, but then couldn't help myself and with the LT's and 3" exhaust.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #20
simon.w
Account Suspended

OK ... So I'll take the car back and ask him to tune with drive.

I'll still do the SCT-X3 with Ted ... At least then I'll know that it it is as good as it can possibly be. Kicking myself that I didn't do this in the first place.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #21
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Bad tune!!
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
SlowLS3

Drives: sweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
100% agree. If your showing 10:1 AF your drowning the spark as well as washing down the cylinders.....not good at all.

Do you have a fuel guage, what is the fuel pressure at wot, do you have a boost reference controlled fuel regulator, these are 2 things required to monitor fuel at all times because you can have a fuel pump that is not supplying enough fuel at WOT and is set rich to compensate for that, a boost reference regulator open the regulator for more fuel supply at higher boost.
The fuel guage should mentained 58/57 psi at normal driving and at wot it should go up to around 60psi.
Before taking the car back to the tuner you should try and install these 2 things if you don't have it, it will help the tuner tune your car better, even change the spark plugs to a new set NGK TR6 with a .025 gap, these are the recomended spark plugs for F1 application.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
simon.w
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS3 View Post

Do you have a fuel guage, what is the fuel pressure at wot, do you have a boost reference controlled fuel regulator, these are 2 things required to monitor fuel at all times because you can have a fuel pump that is not supplying enough fuel at WOT and is set rich to compensate for that, a boost reference regulator open the regulator for more fuel supply at higher boost.
The fuel guage should mentained 58/57 psi at normal driving and at wot it should go up to around 60psi.
Before taking the car back to the tuner you should try and install these 2 things if you don't have it, it will help the tuner tune your car better, even change the spark plugs to a new set NGK TR6 with a .025 gap, these are the recomended spark plugs for F1 application.
I dont have a fuel pressure guage, however it has the MSD fuel pressure booster supplied with the whipple kit and it also has the plugs supplied with the kit and gapped to the whipple spec.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
OK ... So I'll take the car back and ask him to tune with drive.

I'll still do the SCT-X3 with Ted ... At least then I'll know that it it is as good as it can possibly be. Kicking myself that I didn't do this in the first place.
Go see Mike @ Haddad Motorsports in Inglewood, problem solved...

http://www.haddadmotorsports.com/

Not taking anything away from Ted at all.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Mid 11 s would be a good safe Afr.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
fyi...you can monitor fuel pressure on the obd port as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
SlowLS3

Drives: sweet
Quote:
I dont have a fuel pressure guage, however it has the MSD fuel pressure booster supplied with the whipple kit and it also has the plugs supplied with the kit and gapped to the whipple spec.

You need a fuel guage, its a must when supercharged, its the only way you can monitor your fuel supply, and additional guage which is important but not a must is an air/fuel ratio guage.
That MSD is a boostapump to supply more volts to your factory pump to increase the fuel pressure but who knows how effecient its working. Transportation of spark plugs can change the gap so its very important to recheck the gap, also while tuning the car, it goes rich before the correct adjustment and that can fowl the new plugs, so try a new set of plugs with correct gap.
A set of plugs have no such thing like its new while its in a car because everytime the car run too rich it can fowl the new plugs in just 20 mins and that can be a big issue believing its new.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #28
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS3 View Post
You need a fuel guage, its a must when supercharged, its the only way you can monitor your fuel supply, and additional guage which is important but not a must is an air/fuel ratio guage.
That MSD is a boostapump to supply more volts to your factory pump to increase the fuel pressure but who knows how effecient its working. Transportation of spark plugs can change the gap so its very important to recheck the gap, also while tuning the car, it goes rich before the correct adjustment and that can fowl the new plugs, so try a new set of plugs with correct gap.
A set of plugs have no such thing like its new while its in a car because everytime the car run too rich it can fowl the new plugs in just 20 mins and that can be a big issue believing its new.
I completely disagree. AFR is much more useful of a gauge and is a thousand times more important than line pressure. Fuel gauge obviously is necessary once converted to return style or if your trying to over work a dead head system. If the car is setup properly the only time this would need to be constantly monitored is in a race only application, which i'm sure is not the case here.