Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
What is puzzling is why are some L99's running strongly apparently and some are not.
If it is the tune, then why would the tunes be different?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
What is puzzling is why are some L99's running strongly apparently and some are not.
There are probably too many factors too try to understand this. My car could run a half-second either way on certain nights. I think some can be driver, but there are a lot that are car details.

Very strange...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
There are probably too many factors too try to understand this. My car could run a half-second either way on certain nights. I think some can be driver, but there are a lot that are car details.

Very strange...
That's a thing that has me wondering. I mean, clearly some people have something off, but I've had variation in my 0-60 times from 4.6 seconds to 6+ seconds, at this point. The thing is, for every 'good' time (and in Florida summer conditions, frankly I consider anything under 5.5 decent), I've felt that I personally had launched the car better. With my car in particular, all my best launches have come from feeding the throttle smoothly instead of ramming it to the carpet right off the bat.

Also, break-in...my car has really started waking up after about 1500 miles or...I was never disappointed in it, for the record, but after I got back from a 1000 mile roadtrip to South Carolina, the car just 'feels' better. I didn't once chirp em till the 1500 mile mark...now I can.

Now, clearly some people are having problems, and I'm not accusing anyone of not knowing how to handle their car, but I would advise that anyone that is having problems...try different things! I hear a lot of people talking about brake stands and revving it up and all that, but at least for me, this car really hooks it if you give it the juice smoothly.

Now if it's a situation where no matter what you do, it's bad to worse, then that's an issue.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
One thing to also consider.

Where are these cars located? Are the cars that are performing sluggishly all in the South (very warm and humid air)? From what I've observed, these "slow L99's" seem to be located in the South (Texas, Florida, Georgia)

Are any of the L99's running up North (different weather conditons) having performance issues?

This could be a tuning/timing issue affecting certain cars under certain weather conditions.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
That's a thing that has me wondering. I mean, clearly some people have something off, but I've had variation in my 0-60 times from 4.6 seconds to 6+ seconds, at this point. The thing is, for every 'good' time (and in Florida summer conditions, frankly I consider anything under 5.5 decent), I've felt that I personally had launched the car better. With my car in particular, all my best launches have come from feeding the throttle smoothly instead of ramming it to the carpet right off the bat.
I really think most of the probems we're seeing are driver related. Like you said there is a trick to launching the A6, if you're launch is just a bit off torque management takes over and next thing you know you're running slow.

If everything checks out at the dealer this is the most logical problem. I can't get a sub 2.2 60' time at the track, but I don't blame my car for being slow...it is user error.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Apparently it is how you drive it. Scott Settlmeyer (Fbodfather) has said the L99 computer has to learn and figure your driving habits out during break in. Those that baby the car as they should during the break in seem to be having the slow performance issues while those that hit the gas pedal hard from the get go seem to be the ones without issues.. What is unknown is wether or no a re-flash would solve anything since it would reset the computers knowledge about the driver to zero and this whole issue may repeat itself.. What GM needs to do, if what I mention above is correct, is to create a new flash tune-up which bypasses the user learning curve and simply gives the car the power it deserves and should be able to handle..
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Apparently it is how you drive it. Scott Settlmeyer (Fbodfather) has said the L99 computer has to learn and figure your driving habits out during break in. Those that baby the car as they should during the break in seem to be having the slow performance issues while those that hit the gas pedal hard from the get go seem to be the ones without issues.. What is unknown is wether or no a re-flash would solve anything since it would reset the computers knowledge about the driver to zero and this whole issue may repeat itself.. What GM needs to do, if what I mention above is correct, is to create a new flash tune-up which bypasses the user learning curve and simply gives the car the power it deserves and should be able to handle..
AMEN BROTHER!
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #22
BL202
Seek and Destroy ricers

Drives: 2010 1ss, A6, IBM, RS pkg
Scott, I have tried mine several times. No churping at all with my tires. My car has always felt a little slow. I did however just get through the break in period and have about 800 miles on the car. I have noticed that it has woken up slightly and the computer has seemed to learned my driving habits and shifts at different points now then it initially did. I did not baby my car at all during the break in also. I'm a believer in the drive it how you will always drive theory. I am going to get the car Dyno'd after I change the oil at about 1200 miles. I'll let you know how it performs. BTW I'm at 5000 ft above sea level and it's a dry 85 degrees outside right now.

P.S. I have tried to churp and made runs in all modes and with TC and Stabilitrac off
3300, Order scheduled for production???
3400, Order broadcast 06/01/09
3800, Order produced 06/10/09 Vin: 2g1fj1ej1a9116578
4200, Shipped ???
4300, Intermediate Delivery ???
4B00, Bayed ???
5000, Delivered to the dealer 06/22/09
6000, Delivered to the customer 06/23/09

Last edited by BL202; 07-11-2009 at 07:08 PM.
BL202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #23
Tillman Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaros
Send a message via AIM to Tillman Speed
Adaptive learning in the Auto transmissions is for sure going to learn driving habits, and for the most part will result in undesirable affects, assuming you don't drive like a madman 100% of the time, your car will follow suit. Keep in mind, in many popular tuning software this can be controlled.

I'm not saying there's no possibility of an issue with the first public driven calibration from GM on this vehicle. I am, however, saying that I think it's a driver-specific problem and could also potentially not really be an actual issue.

Keep in mind, yes they can rate the motor at whatever they want. When you get the car, you're not going to get a car that feels like it. All of the major automakers have alot of regulations to follow for insurance, emissions, and the government. Most of the time now days, they just rape drive-by-wire, run slightly conservative air fuels, and allow torque reduction for automatics.

I would like to see definitive dyno results pulled in 4th gear (yes I understand no true 1:1), but if we pull every car in fourth, results should be across the board similar. I also would like to see this done with proper cooling if outside conditions aren't ideal.

And I hate to say it, but without datalog results to see what lambda the car was actually commanding... we'll never know if it was in the calibration or not.
Tillman Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Today I want all L99 owners reading today to do this.

Go put your car in M. Turn of traction control. Now take foot of brake and stomp the gas. Report back if your rear end broke loose and post picture of burnout.

NO POWER BRAKING or BRAKE STANDS. Think about it, a 400HP, 410Trq car should be able to break them loose doing that and leave a mark on the road.

My familys 79 TA would do that all day long and it had nowhere near the HP and TRQ todays Camaro has and we had the WS Packgage and the Olds 403 motor. Go look at the specs of that TA. This car should be killing that car in performance. Mine is not. Lets see what yours does.
How about you buy a new set of tires that are made of a harder rubber?

These Pirelli's are made to hold onto the road.

Am I wrong?

I'd rather have my torque converted into forward momentum.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds and it will turn off both traction control (TC) and launch control, then it's you and your happy foot.

Computers are only as good as those that program them.

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
rpepka

Quote:
Bottom line is some of the L99's are not performing as advertised. GM should provide a reflash to the computer(this is the problem, the tune) free of charge to the buyer to get the performance advertised.
yes Yes yes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
rpepka

I get a bog and go, no spin.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #28
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Some one with a strong running stock L99 car needs to data log their car and run it on a dyno. Then Scott and the others that are having problems with their cars can do the same and compare results.
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote