Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
I'm with the "drive it like you would any other car" crowd. I work at a manufacturing plant and they do not get babied there nor do they keep them under the 55mph rule so why should I?
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Also not sure on this one. I hear a lot of guys refer to their Camaros as "her" on here. Y'all are attracted to some very dude-looking lady-cars, if the Camaro is in fact, a lady. It's got muscle, and aggression...brooding looks, big powerful looking quarter panels, and it's not exactly 'soft spoken'. Makes me think it's not a lady.

I'm cool with my car being a dude, but I'm fun like that. ...this Camaro certainly doesn't wear a dress or any makeup.

CAMARO:

Its a girl.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
Tar Heel RS

Drives: 2010 SIM LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Breaking "her" in....not homo...

Breaking "him" in...homo for sure...
Lmfao hahahaha that was funny
Tar Heel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
Redliner1960

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
CAMARO:

Its a girl.
Oh... my

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner1960 View Post
Oh... my

HULK SMASH ... YOU!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
I've heard drive it like you stole it. Here's a link from Darin Morgan

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39955
I trained under Darin at Reher Morrison......and have been building race and performance engines for over 38 years.

We also tear down the LS based and 3.6 DI motors constanly here.

The best way to break your motor in period (and those that are owners manual koolaide drinkers stop reading now...this is only for those that care to break a motor in to last the longest, use the least amount of oil, and have the most power) is to first thing drain the full syn oil out as it is far to protective to allow proper ring seating to the cylinder walls. Fill with a GOOD conventional oil, drive easy the first 25-50 mile max....and then drive it like you stole it for the first 500 miles. AT this time drain the break in oil and fill with a good top quality full syn oil and drive as you choose after that.

The bearings and crank journals need NO break-in...they will never be better than when assembled, and you only have 4-500 mile window in which to properly seat the rings (and yes, some have lucked out and rings did seat and have no noticeable oil consumption issues, but they are the exception, not the rule). After 500 miles on average the cylinder walls have formed a hard coating and you will not get any more proper ring seating.....the window has passed. So if you follow the manufacturers reccomendations (written by the legal, marketing, and accounting departments...NOTR the knowledagable senior engineers) odds are you will be amoung the 100.'s of thousands complaining about oil consumption. You will also have less power due to the ring to cylinder seal and excess blow-by causing excess oil ingestion through the intake air charge.

There is far more to this than this short summary, but follow what I, Darin, Tony Mamo, and most every well known engine builder will tell you and you will have the best running, most powerfull, longest lasting, no oil burning engine possible.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #35
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
There is far more than the engine break in as previously noted. You should vary conditions and loads on all the machanical system like brakes, steering, engine, trans, suspension etc. Also include heat cycling or not running at a constant load over a long time. Over a mileage period (500 - 1500 miles) increase loads a little at a time including lugging the engine (but not dangerously low), increasing cornering speed, stopping effort and engine rpm.

I had to panic stop my new <200 miles motorcycle and warped the rotors and the contributing factor was not heat seasoning the brakes.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Manual says take it easy for 1,500 miles. No full throttle starts and no abrupt stops. I'm 250 miles away myself!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #37
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Never stay at a consistent RPM, vary it.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
If you want to know how to break in your new car just look in the owners manual under break-in period.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I followed Tracy's (SC2150) advice. Sorry to all who disagree, but I feel he's right. You HAVE to get cylinder pressures high right out of the box. Tracy, can you link to your more extensive write-up on break-in you wrote a couple of years ago? It was more than comprehensive, and i tried to follow it to the 'T.' What did that get me? At 6K miles, my car is freaking powerful, doesn't burn or blow oil through the PCV system and I get great gas mileage.

The owner's manual was written in part by lawyers, not engineers. Do racers perform an extensive break-in on their poor little new engines before they use the hell out of them in racing (of all types?).

The answer is NO. And neither did I. Tough if you don't agree.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #40
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I followed Tracy's (SC2150) advice. Sorry to all who disagree, but I feel he's right. You HAVE to get cylinder pressures high right out of the box. Tracy, can you link to your more extensive write-up on break-in you wrote a couple of years ago? It was more than comprehensive, and i tried to follow it to the 'T.' What did that get me? At 6K miles, my car is freaking powerful, doesn't burn or blow oil through the PCV system and I get great gas mileage.

The owner's manual was written in part by lawyers, not engineers. Do racers perform an extensive break-in on their poor little new engines before they use the hell out of them in racing (of all types?).

The answer is NO. And neither did I. Tough if you don't agree.

John B.
I'm not arguing that tracys/your break in is wrong. However the racing analogy doesn't fit for most of us here. We are talking about break in that keeps the engine reliable. Racers don't care or expect to get 150-200k miles on their engine.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #41
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'll report back at 150K, then. And we'll still be going.

Thanks, SC2150.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #42
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I'll report back at 150K, then. And we'll still be going.

Thanks, SC2150.

John B.
Again. I'm not arguing the way you broke in. I'd love to compare at 150k should we both reach it. Honestly I'd rather have broken it in your way but didn't read about it til after I had done it my way. Which is basically the manuals way but a tad more aggressive.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking, fast, miles, motor