Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Dawn55430

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red 2LT
Minneapolis and a DD here. Never had any problems. The lights and whatnot don't come on if I remote start it, I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it "on" before everything comes on. But if I start it with the key only no problems everything lights up right away, and it was -12 the other day when I was out of range for the remote.

As for the wipers, again no problem, rush hour traffic and lots of spray. Couple of swishes of the wipers and I'm clear as can be.

The wipers could just be too cold, or maybe out of whack some how. but the electrical sounds like a real problem. I'd get it checked out.
Dawn55430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
scooter6

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro
I had the same issue 2 nights ago -9 below unlocked car with key fob and only the parking lights lite up, I thought this is odd. I started the car and as you said it seemed lick the car didnt know if it was light or dark. I turned the light switch to manual and the lights came on but the dash lights were bright like it was daytime. I put the swithch back to auto and waited 3 or 4 minutes while the car warmed up a bit and they the lights came on like nothing was wrong. This happed again last night at -6 below same thing I let the car warm up and the lights came on. Tonight it was 5 above and I had no issues with the lights, I will be keeping an eye on this in case I have to have a dealer take a look at it.
scooter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
If you have cheap fluid it can freeze and make your issue too. Return the all seasons an get some rainx latitudes or Bosch icon blades. The curved ones. And some good low temp fluid and you should be ok with the wiper situation. I'd visit the dealer and at least get the issues documented if nothing else.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #18
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Changed the wipers and that fixed my issue.

I got in the car today prepared to video the electronic issue but alas the car realized it was dark out and everything worked normal. Although I still have never had my defrost turn on automatically -- I wonder if that's only for higher trim models and not on the 1LS?

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
C586
Account Suspended

My 2011 LS would turn the defrost on.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post

I got in the car today prepared to video the electronic issue but alas the car realized it was dark out and everything worked normal. Although I still have never had my defrost turn on automatically -- I wonder if that's only for higher trim models and not on the 1LS?
Glad to hear you got the wiper blade issue resolved.

The rear defroster may be a setting in the radio. Have you checked that?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

I'll have to check tonight and see.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
1CamaroSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange
Just to throw a technical opinion out there........When its that cold, our batteries are in a weak state...whether fully charged or not. Nothing likes to work when its that cold. I would assume once the battery is up to par after starting and warming up everything should come on and work fine. I don't drive my SS in the winter but I do start it up occasionally. When I do lights are slow to come on and there is a little "sim card???" icon in the top right of the display. Usually when the icon goes out the lights turn on. I have always assumed that meant there was insufficient charge in the battery. Since battery voltage is monitored by the control units....again I would assume they wont turn any electrical item on until the battery/alternator is healthy enough to handle it at those low temps. Mine does sit without a charger or tender on it and I usually start it every couple of weeks....never had a battery issue....yet!

1CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterEcho View Post
mostly because I don't have a windshield washer reservoir.
What? did someone steal it?
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post

not sure but check your vehicle settings through the radio display.I am not sure if the defrost setting is there but I know that those with heated seats, the setting is there so you may want to look.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
What? did someone steal it?
Nope... lol its in my trunk. I have a Vortech supercharger that requires the replacement of the reservoir with a smaller more compact unit. I have just been lazy with getting it installed.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CamaroSS View Post
Just to throw a technical opinion out there........When its that cold, our batteries are in a weak state...whether fully charged or not. Nothing likes to work when its that cold. I would assume once the battery is up to par after starting and warming up everything should come on and work fine. I don't drive my SS in the winter but I do start it up occasionally. When I do lights are slow to come on and there is a little "sim card???" icon in the top right of the display. Usually when the icon goes out the lights turn on. I have always assumed that meant there was insufficient charge in the battery. Since battery voltage is monitored by the control units....again I would assume they wont turn any electrical item on until the battery/alternator is healthy enough to handle it at those low temps. Mine does sit without a charger or tender on it and I usually start it every couple of weeks....never had a battery issue....yet!
That's not a great habit. If your not going to drive it don't start it. Starting it and just letting it sit and idle just creates condensation and puts water in your oil. You would be better off getting a tender and just let it sit. Especially if its that cold when your starting it.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the condensation is there, but whether or not it really does any foreseeable damage I'm skeptical. I've always started my garage queens once a month, year round, so parts are getting lubricated and everything's moving. Many times they just sit and idle, but I let them sit and idle until the fans come on a few times (20-25minutes).

"Gone But Not Forgotten"