Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
guess exotics don't count?
I'd just like to know the definition of "real"...I read this statement all too often, and I still don't get it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #30
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
Real sports cars have manual gearboxes
Name:  YouFail[1].jpg
Views: 487
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #31
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd just like to know the definition of "real"...I read this statement all too often, and I still don't get it.
it's not a real Z28 unless it has 2 valves and 8 pistons? work for ya? lmao.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #32
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Get over it, its just a name, and if GM were to make a modern day z/28 they use a supercharged DI V6.

How much boost can a LSA take?
How many Camaros have you owned? Z28 is not just a name. And a V6 has no buisness in it!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #33
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
More than half of the SS's out there are automatic. There will be an automatic Z/28. And yes, no matter how much better it performs than a manual, it's still not a manual so it's not as 'hardcore' or whatever you want to call it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
How many Camaros have you owned? Z28 is not just a name. And a V6 has no buisness in it!
One bad ass cherry red and black 67 that ran mid 12's w/ an auto, which you would of known if you wernt so busy slamming a fellow member but taken the time to check my sig before you question me and my heritage.

I said its just a badge because that's all the z/28 name has become. Sure the first generation were purpose built for road course's with its short stroke small displacement 302 and dual carbs, but after that it just became a name plate designating the higher end V8's. The Z/28 died in 1970 unless you want to believe the z/28's from the 70's, 80's and 90's stayed true to there heritage and were tearing up road course's right off the lot.

The first gen Z's used a small, light weight, high revving engine and it paid off. No days you see forced induction and NA V6's tearing up the road course's better then most heavy V8's. Just look at how much better the V6 Camaro handles vs the SS, now stick a supercharger on it and go road racing just like the Shelby Terlingua, GTR, 911's and all FI DI 6's. The new V6 is alot more advanced then the LS series engine's with its direction injection and overhead cams and would make more scence in my book for a modern day Z/28 road course racer once to add some boost of course.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #35
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
One bad ass cherry red and black 67 that ran mid 12's w/ an auto, which you would of known if you wernt so busy slamming a fellow member but taken the time to check my sig before you question me and my heritage.

I said its just a badge because that's all the z/28 name has become. Sure the first generation were purpose built for road course's with its short stroke small displacement 302 and dual carbs, but after that it just became a name plate designating the higher end V8's. The Z/28 died in 1970 unless you want to believe the z/28's from the 70's, 80's and 90's stayed true to there heritage and were tearing up road course's right off the lot.

The first gen Z's used a small, light weight, high revving engine and it paid off. No days you see forced induction and NA V6's tearing up the road course's better then most heavy V8's. Just look at how much better the V6 Camaro handles vs the SS, now stick a supercharger on it and go road racing just like the Shelby Terlingua, GTR, 911's and all FI DI 6's. The new V6 is alot more advanced then the LS series engine's with its direction injection and overhead cams and would make more scence in my book for a modern day Z/28 road course racer once to add some boost of course.
75lbs difference. . .if that's a a big heavy v-8 then so be it. but 75 lbs isn't even a full tenth in the 1/4. with a more tuned suspension the v-8 would out handle that v-6 you keep wanting. no replacement for displacement still remains true. you add that TT or charger to a v-6 you lose that 75 lb advantage. and you have the same out put if not closer and less tq? come on now.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #36
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

OK, First off I'm not slamming anyone. It was just a question and yes I know the history of the Z28 (history lesson was unneccessary). I still don't think a V6 belongs in it. No matter how you rationalize it.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #37
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:

The V6 may handle better than the SS, but take them both to a road course and see who wins. I've said this many times and will say it again, superior handling is not an automatic victory, especially if it has an underpowered engine. And that underpowered engine in turn gives it most of it's better handling capabilities.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #38
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

Actually the Z/28 did not die in '70, the 350cid in the '70 model had essentially the same engine performance build as the first gens., '71 onward was a different story though. I'm one who is not in favor of a V6 in a new Z/28, I think it must have a V8 though I'm not so sure that the highly speculated LSA version is the ideal solution. If there is an option for auto trans in a new Z/28 then I'm sure many people will be happy, for myself I'd rather have a manual tranny as all of my performance vehicles have had manual.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 11-26-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: text
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #39
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Actually the Z/28 did not die in '70, the 350cid in the '70 model had essentially the same engine performance build as the first gens., '71 onward was a different story though.
Exactly the reason why I didnt say it died in 69, like most people referring to first gens would say. I included the 1970 MY or else I would of said 69, and if I would of said 69 everybody would know I was including MY 69 and not talking about MY 67-68 only. 1970 Z/28 was bad ass and deserves the name as well thats why I included it

I'm not trying to convince the forums that the new Z should have a V6 its just my own opinion on how to make a modern day 3,800lb car go around a tight road course.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #40
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
He is right about that point.

I don't think that's how the General is planning on handling things this time however - call it a hunch, but I think they really want to give us something special... Perhaps they have decided, due to history, that they want to push the Z/28 into the special status it's somehow become and make it like the GT500 is trying to be - a unique, one-of-a-kind "super" pony car...

Just a thought, yanno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
Real sports cars have manual gearboxes
I thought the same way too - Note: My current vehicle is a 3.4L V6 with a Tremec 5-spd Manual Transmission. I hate, *hate-hate-hate-hate* the automatic in the 4th gen, its really sloppy (even the v8, I've driven a few and been driven in a few, even modified. It is NOT the same)...

Then I actually drove a 2ss with the paddle shifters (for 4 days, up and down the 110, 101, 405, 10, 118, etc - through rush hour, through streets and alleys, in parking lots and everywhere else that a car would normally go).

Seriously the option is the closest thing to a manual that I have ever experienced - shifts are crisp and quick and theres no lag or softness.

I put it in M everytime I got in the car, I NEVER ONCE used D - and I was shifting all the time (and having way to much fun). Felt extremely natural and easy to do and I felt totally in control - could even downshift to take a corner and then punch it out of the apex and shift as the RPMs settled in the gear I was in - total control.

The auto in the new Camaro has made me rethink my position on buying an auto or a manual, and I think before you knock it - you need to go out and try it.

Last edited by WCFB-Russ; 11-26-2009 at 01:55 PM.
WCFB-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #41
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
He is right about that point.

I don't think that's how the General is planning on handling things this time however - call it a hunch, but I think they really want to give us something special... Perhaps they have decided, due to history, that they want to push the Z/28 into the special status it's somehow become and make it like the GT500 is trying to be - a unique, one-of-a-kind "super" pony car...

Just a thought, yanno?
the Z28 still has more heritage IMHO then the SS. the SS has been watered down to the top model of any car. the Z28 will and has always been a camaro.

but my point about the weight still hasn't been addressed. if you have a TTv6 pushing 425 hp. the tubing and intercoolers will quickly negate that weight advantage of the v-6. which in essance will destroy that handling ability advantage. even if the LSA is put in the camaro the hp/lb ratio is improved and the accelration will compensate for the minor weight hike.

but this thread was about the auto tranny. which the auto will ad even more weight. so tell me how that would effect handling? obviously not hurting it at all. because the auto is faster then the manual in CTSV form.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
but this thread was about the auto tranny. which the auto will ad even more weight. so tell me how that would effect handling? obviously not hurting it at all. because the auto is faster then the manual in CTSV form.
Though the automatic would add weight, it's mounted mere inches from the ground. It will improve the vehicles overall center of gravity, and likely effect handling none-at-all.