Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #113
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
This is excelent news and should be a news flash for gm. They need to get their out of their ass and make a right drive version of the car for overseas, especially australia. The rest of world wants the camaro bad, real, real bad to be blunt. The car was designed to be built in both configurations so why not do it? GM WAKE UP!!!
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #114
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsap05 View Post
This is excelent news and should be a news flash for gm. They need to get their out of their ass and make a right drive version of the car for overseas, especially australia. The rest of world wants the camaro bad, real, real bad to be blunt. The car was designed to be built in both configurations so why not do it? GM WAKE UP!!!
As far as I know, a RHD version is in the works for Australia.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #115
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
As far as I know, a RHD version is in the works for Australia.
wasn't it canceled? Or has it been brought back online?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #116
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I am not a hater but GM has left a bad taste in my mouth. When things were going bad I picked up some GM stock. I held on through the bad news days thinking i was helping GM. Then I come to find out GM went bankrupt and guess what? GM management let all the GM stock became worthless overnight! And screwed up GM can stay in business fat, dumb, and happy. And they get government loans for being so stupid. I lost enough to buy a Z28 cash when ever that comes out. I do not see the government helping me out for keeping the faith.

I still am numb. I do like the 2010 SS but I do not want to get ripped off even more by GM. Why is everyone so happy that GM is over charging for the SS? Are they passing out cigarettes afterward? As a result when my 335i lease runs out in August I will take a long hard look at the coyote Mustang. And if I decide on the SS I will not buy unless I am buying under list.

and I was pissed when I lost an RS package worth of stock
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #117
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
wasn't it canceled? Or has it been brought back online?
Mark Reuss and Lutz both want to send the Camaro to Australia, and the head of Holden wants it too. Supposedly we're trading it for the Commodore.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #118
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
Hell yea awesome news. Yeah boye!

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #119
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Alright, fine. I agree. This is absolutely awful. GM is run by idiots. They can never do a single thing right. And even if it is a good thing, its still bad, since its already been decided that they can't do anything right. There is nothing worse than having half a million more in revenue than anticipated. Each exec should be fired for this inexcusable error and the company thrown into ch7 liquidation. Then GM will never be able to make a mistake again, because they will no longer exist.

Happy?
That would mean that Ford never...ever produced a mustang GT that was faster than a z28 or ss of the same year. And, it would take a 2011 gt to beat a 98 z28 stock for stock.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #120
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
I can't believe how many people now think the Camaro SS is overpriced! This car is a "smokin' hot" deal. During a road test [June 2009] when comparing the SS to an SRT8 and a Mustang GT, Road & Track commented that : "Camaro SS offers more bang-for-the-buck than anything here-or just about anywhere."

1SS $30,945 426 HP
2SS $33,945 426 HP
SRT8 $42,930* 425 HP

*$41,230 + $1,700 Gas Guzzler tax which the Camaro does not have.
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #121
drkllr

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE 650 H.O ABM m6
Goes ti show you if you build a car the people like you make money. Now if they would take profit margine to 3000 -4000 percar they lower the price enough to sell three times as many makeing more money
drkllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #122
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkllr View Post
Goes ti show you if you build a car the people like you make money. Now if they would take profit margine to 3000 -4000 percar they lower the price enough to sell three times as many makeing more money
Not really...because that number is misleading. As are most things we read in the media.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #123
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh, please. This has got to be one of the most unbelievable....

..Okay...

I see you joined in December of last year. I don't know if you lurked or not, but I'd like to bring your attention to a few very important facts/events surrounding this Car's journey to an enthusiast's driveway over the past 3 years.

First off, It was not intended to be built when the concept was first shown. The hope was there, but the assurance wasn't. In light of the ENTHUSIAST'S reaction, in addition to the rest of the auto world, GM decided to green-light the project. And development began in August of '06.

Then, the Camaro team decided to bring in 15 serious Camaro enthusiasts to meet with the engineers, designers, and managers of the car and gather exactly what a 5th gen Camaro should be. These people were given a chance that few if ANY car enthusiasts have ever been given: To shape the car that they love. The team took their opinions to HEART. There are many examples of things on the car that were directly influenced by the "disciples" (as they are called) input.

Fast forward a little bit, and we are allowed to view the test cars as they go in different parts of the world to undergo development and refinement. They took off the camouflage cow-spots, and didn't try to "hide" the mules.

Then, in 2008, GM brought 4 Camaros to the Brickyard event at the Indianapolis speedway. None of them were complete...most car manufacturers would have been appalled at the very idea!! But GM, and the Camaro team, cares for its customers and its enthusiasts. Because they know -- out in the world, we are their representatives as much as the paid guys are. So, we were allowed to sit inside the TEST MULE. A completely unfinished car with pre-production materials in the cabin, and false body-panels...again something absolutely UNHEARD of in the auto world.

All the while, they've teased us with information, and issued "spy shots" for our pleasure and entertainment.

But that's not all. In the midst of all of this -- several VIPs have taken the time and patience to join this site and others and share tidbits of information with us, like Fbodfather, Camero, and Number 3. They don't have to do that, and by all rights, they shouldn't do that...but they do. And folks at GM watch this site and others...to gather our collective opinion on the car...for future improvements, changes, etc.

But it didn't end. After the car was produced, the Camaro team kept in touch with us. John Fitzpatrick, the marketing manager, keeping us informed and updated on Camaro issues, etc. And Fbodfather sticking around and keeping us all connected through various auto shows and Camaro enthusiast events. Number 3's practically one of us, , and we rarely think of these folks as "GM employees". They are friends, pals, and Camaro comrades.

Then, you criticize them for making money on a GREAT car! What, would you have them sell it for $12.99? The purpose of a business is to MAKE MONEY. That means engineer profit into vehicles. This is not new, and it is certainly not wrong by any stretch. Half the reason they had to be assisted last year was because they sold their vehicles for dirt cheap and made very little money on ther cars that people wanted.

Not that it matters. The price is a BARGAIN for what you get in this market, never mind competitive with other cars in the segment. So what do we care how much money they managed to make on it? Why get pissed? It means they'll be able to take that money and pour it back into the Camaro for future improvements and upgrades. The car is healthy and well, not running on fumes as the 4thgen was.

So get off your horse in regards to their making money...it's what they're supposed to do -- they're not screwing anyone over. And don't even attempt to tell me they don't care about the enthusiasts. Because that's worse than wrong...It's slanderous.

/Rant
Warning!! Major Rant follows...read at your own peril.

Yes, I am a late comer, but as soon as I found this site, I joined, no lurking. Thanks for the back ground on the "Road to the Camaro".

I don't disagree that the new Camaro is a great car at a good price(otherwise I wouldn't be in line for one). What has got me ticked off is GM's Loyalty program. I'm criticizing GM for not living up to (my) expectations. Great, they're making money now, but it's still my money.

I consider myself a loyal GM customer, owned 3 new Chevs and as many used GMs throughout my life. I get a letter FROM GM in the mail, inviting me to check out their cars and receive $1000 for being a loyal customer. When I go to place my order, guess what? "So sorry, but we won't honor this program on the car you want. Why don't you get a Aveo instead? Don't waste our time asking for a handout." To me, this is the same behaviour as unscrupulous dealers asking $5k over sticker.

I guess that I should just be thankful that GM brought back the Camaro for my pleasure? No, I don't roll over that easy. How about GM thanking us enthusiasts by giving back a little? Being an enthusiast doesn't mean you have deep pockets like the Vette owners . Hey, a $1000 rebate is a cat back system! I'm thinking of ordering a system even before I take delivery. Is that enthusiastic enough for ya?
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #124
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I guess that I should just be thankful that GM brought back the Camaro for my pleasure? No, I don't roll over that easy. How about GM thanking us enthusiasts by giving back a little?
No...you should be thankful they've included us this deeply in the program...setting a new precedent for the Industry. But that's not the point..

Quote:
Being an enthusiast doesn't mean you have deep pockets like the Vette owners . Hey, a $1000 rebate is a cat back system! I'm thinking of ordering a system even before I take delivery. Is that enthusiastic enough for ya?
It is!!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #125
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No...you should be thankful they've included us this deeply in the program...setting a new precedent for the Industry. But that's not the point..
Thanks for your points of view Dragoneye. It'll (hopefully) make it easier to write that full MSRP cheque when the fateful day comes.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #126
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Thanks for your points of view Dragoneye. It'll (hopefully) make it easier to write that full MSRP cheque when the fateful day comes.
Why not haggle for lower? Below MSRP sales are not uncommon.