Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Larry_551
Larry_551

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Convertible
Constant power for dash cam

Greetings one and all,

Received a Mini 0806 dash camera today (birthday present, 58 and still having fun). Also got the hardware kit and polarized filter.

Is the dome light always powered? If it is, how can I get access to it without damage?

Thanks for any and all help,

Larry

Last edited by Larry_551; 06-06-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Dash cam not radar detector
Larry_551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Funny you ask, because I'm waiting on my order for a blendmount and a mirror tap cable to install my radar detector. It should be here by Tuesday. Anyways, you're gonna need something like this. https://store.blendmount.com/all-che...ors-c1852.aspx
And this https://store.blendmount.com/mirrort...use-p3525.aspx This is for your headlamp tap to your radar detector. For anything else you would need to tap into the fuse panel in the driver side panel, left of the air vent.

Last edited by CreeperRS; 06-06-2016 at 05:50 AM.
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
It's pretty easy to run wires under the front edge of the headliner and down the A-pillar to the fuse box and tap in there.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34844
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Larry_551
Larry_551

Thanks for the input, both of you.

But I am mounting a dash cam, not a radar detector, and I have already tapped into the fuse in the driver's side fuse panel, I think number 18 (only powered when key is in). I am looking for a constant power on location so the camera has power if/when someone bumps my car when the key is out. I thought the dome light has constant power. I am looking for the proper way to remove the assembly, not just the lens, with minimum damage. Or a fuse location in the door fuse panel that always has power.

Thanks again for the input,

Larry
Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
HadA68

Drives: 2012 SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Use a tap-a-circuit on the trunk release fuse. But be sure to add a power monitor like the PowerMagic Pro. It will protect your battery from draining.
Attached Images

45th anniversary mods: CAGS delete, SW muffler delete, JBL shorties, Solo cats, strut tower brace, clutch/brake reservoir separation kit, Tick clutch bleeder, DRL harness, LED DRLs, elite catch can, ZL1 front grill, VTC, Rotofab CAI, blackvue dash cam, hurst billet plus 2, Eibach lower springs Ans anti-sway bars, Koni struts, tuning by DynoSteve
1969 corvette L46 coupe: ... Mostly stock
Past cars:
1967 corvette L79 coupe
1999 corvette FRC
1968 camaro RS
HadA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
On my 2ss tapped into the rear view mirror for power with my radar detector
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Larry_551
Larry_551

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadA68 View Post
Use a tap-a-circuit on the trunk release fuse. But be sure to add a power monitor like the PowerMagic Pro. It will protect your battery from draining.
Thanks for the power monitor advice.

The hardware kit for the Mini 0806 comes with a power monitor that disconnects it when battery voltage drops, so I should be good there.

Unless someone can tell me how to safely remove the dome light assembly, not just the light cover itself, this is the way I'll go.

Larry
Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_551 View Post

But I am mounting a dash cam, not a radar detector, and I have already tapped into the fuse in the driver's side fuse panel, I think number 18 (only powered when key is in). I am looking for a constant power on location so the camera has power if/when someone bumps my car when the key is out. I thought the dome light has constant power. I am looking for the proper way to remove the assembly, not just the lens, with minimum damage. Or a fuse location in the door fuse panel that always has power.

Larry
Here's how you do change number 18 from switched to constant power on. NightOwl LED carries them

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...30&postcount=3
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
CreeperRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_551 View Post

Larry
Your title says RADAR DETECTOR, I also just installed a dash cam a few weeks ago. I'm currently using a kit that came with the dash cam, I tapped into the fuse panel as well. I will give you the fuse # to tap into later today as I do not want to go outside at this time.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Name:  Fuse Layout.JPG
Views: 1224
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 06-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
CreeperRS

Thanks, its F18, I will double check later today.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Thanks, its F18, I will double check later today.
Either 17 or 18 will work.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Larry_551
Larry_551

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Your title says RADAR DETECTOR, I also just installed a dash cam a few weeks ago. I'm currently using a kit that came with the dash cam, I tapped into the fuse panel as well. I will give you the fuse # to tap into later today as I do not want to go outside at this time.
Thanks for pointing that out. Title corrected. Need to pay more attention

Larry
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #14
Larry_551
Larry_551

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Either 17 or 18 will work.
I thought 17 and 18 were switched, only on when key turned. I have my radar detector in 18 and it won't work with key out.

Larry