#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #57
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The only "banging" done was by GM on anyone stupid enough to buy a Corvette A8 based on the lies that GM printed comparing it to PDK.

The A8 was so terrible after my extended test drive it made we walk away from my C7 Corvette delivery because I would never accept that pathetic transmission. Plus, I wasn't going to reward GM's campaign of lies comparing it to PDK with $70k of my money. I hate when a company blatantly lies to longtime loyal customers like me and thinks we're stupid enough to swallow the $hit they call caviar. The A8 is the same in the Camaro, regardless of what anyone wants you to believe.

Let's all hope the A10 delivers on the false promises GM made with the A8.
If the A10 offers anything remotely close to a DCT experience, I will trade my 2016 Camaro SS M6 in on one.

There is a video out there of a guy comparing his Z06 to his Viper. He's driving his Auto Z06 and raving about the transmission......then when he demos the upshifts it seems like it takes a long time to shift. Definitely a pause between the time he clicks the paddle shifters and when the engine actually upshifts. Is that what you're referring to with the A8 or is it more than that? The A10 in the new ZL1 seems to be lightning fast compared to the A8. I'll still probably go manual, but this thing really has my attention.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #58
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
The only "banging" done was by GM on anyone stupid enough to buy a Corvette A8 based on the lies that GM printed comparing it to PDK.

The A8 was so terrible after my extended test drive it made we walk away from my C7 Corvette delivery because I would never accept that pathetic transmission. Plus, I wasn't going to reward GM's campaign of lies comparing it to PDK with $70k of my money. I hate when a company blatantly lies to longtime loyal customers like me and thinks we're stupid enough to swallow the $hit they call caviar. The A8 is the same in the Camaro, regardless of what anyone wants you to believe.

If the A10 offers anything remotely close to a DCT experience, I will trade my 2016 Camaro SS M6 in on one.
As I mentioned in another thread, I drove a new SS with the A8 on the track a few weeks ago and was disappointed with it. It struggled to downshift quickly enough to keep RPM going through a corner and I think everyone on the track could hear me screaming "wrong gear" coming out of the corners. It seemed very well behaved on the street however and if I did not intend to track my car I would consider it but after putting one through it paces on the twisties, I have decided to go manual until we get some reviews on the new A10 or by some miracle I get behind the wheel of one before I place my order.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #59
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:

I guess that's why our opinions vary on this. I never read up on all the promises GM made in regards to how fast it shifts or what they said it shifts faster than. My experience is that I drove a few, loved how quickly it ran through the gears and how well it stayed up in the rpms, looked at the performance data, saw that it matches my ls3 c6 m6, saw that I could jump up 7 model years and it wouldn't really change my monthly payment, so I bought it. I've never really been too fond of paddle shifters anyway, and always thought that paddles in a "regular" (non dct) trans were kind of a gimmick anyway to make someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual feel like they can at least pretend, if I'm just being honest. Compared to what I've seen in the past, these paddles do respond a little better than a normal setup in a typical commuter car.....some of those take over a second to respond

If the a8 can handle some good power, shift fast (in D of course lol), and be reliable, then I don't consider it to be "awful" or "junk" at all. It's definitely the quickest shifting factory GM trans I've ever driven. I would like to know if there's certain parts that the a10 has that can be replicated in the aftermarket for the a8 to reduce reaction time when using the paddles though. I know a tune will help slightly, but what exactly will the a10 have that makes the shifts via paddles almost instantaneous (at least according to the zl1 test video)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #60
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I know a tune will help slightly, but what exactly will the a10 have that makes the shifts via paddles almost instantaneous (at least according to the zl1 test video)
From what I have read, the major limiting factor in the past has been the computer logic deciding if the shift is "safe." Not really a communication speed issue. Some cases the computer detects that you are decelerating and will delay for what it considers a "safe" shift. I would believe that the a10 gives more wiggle room as you may have more overlap on the top and bottom speeds each gear can safely handle.

Now for my tin foil hat speculation on why the computers would be tuned this way. From a GM perspective, you have to design something that is going to satisfy the bulk of your customers and is interchangeable within the various trims and heaven forbid different models. Even if it is contained within the model, the majority of people who buy a camaro are not going to be taking it to the track,carving canyons, or doing autocross with it. That means they design something for the largest chunk of consumers. Which means the enthusiast drivers get the shaft. /remove tin foil
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #61
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
From what I have read, the major limiting factor in the past has been the computer logic deciding if the shift is "safe." Not really a communication speed issue. Some cases the computer detects that you are decelerating and will delay for what it considers a "safe" shift. I would believe that the a10 gives more wiggle room as you may have more overlap on the top and bottom speeds each gear can safely handle.

Now for my tin foil hat speculation on why the computers would be tuned this way. From a GM perspective, you have to design something that is going to satisfy the bulk of your customers and is interchangeable within the various trims and heaven forbid different models. Even if it is contained within the model, the majority of people who buy a camaro are not going to be taking it to the track,carving canyons, or doing autocross with it. That means they design something for the largest chunk of consumers. Which means the enthusiast drivers get the shaft. /remove tin foil
So if that would be the main limiting factor, we could theoretically put an a10-programmed shift map to allow the a8's that responsiveness. I might actually use the paddles then lol

Making the transmissions shift smoother and slower is a good example of your aforementioned mass consumer point, Susie homemaker doesn't want to feel how a transmission is supposed to shift lol
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #62
datboi448

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
So if that would be the main limiting factor, we could theoretically put an a10-programmed shift map to allow the a8's that responsiveness. I might actually use the paddles then lol

Making the transmissions shift smoother and slower is a good example of your aforementioned mass consumer point, Susie homemaker doesn't want to feel how a transmission is supposed to shift lol
In theory, that may be a solution. I'm not familiar with the architecture of the computers. If they are ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) then it would probably not work as it would be looking for the two extra gears and may not even allow for the car to start. If its software driven, it would be possible but would need tweaks. Assuming of course that the a8 is an ASIC, otherwise you could just tweak the a8.

This brings in the part of why preexisting modes exist, (track, sport, touring) that should control these things (again not sure if its one computer using software or switching between a different ASIC for each mode.)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It sounded like the A10 is a little more significant that two more gears and revised software.

There will be an in-depth press release and details released sometime in the future. I can't wait to read it.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #64
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Got to check out the A10 before purchasing.

PDK I drove was righteous in Porsche. Too bad car was too slow compared to corvettes and camaro so...

wait and see....maybe this A10 is as good as Mark Ruess shows in the video.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #65
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
Been watching the camaro forms for a long time finally made an account here recently. I have a 2010 RS with the A6 and my biggest regret was it not being a manual (or an SS) so I swore my next car would be a manual but the A10 has got me thinking and this thread is leaning more towards the A10. Such an impressive jump over the A6.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #66
datboi448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Been watching the camaro forms for a long time finally made an account here recently. I have a 2010 RS with the A6 and my biggest regret was it not being a manual (or an SS) so I swore my next car would be a manual but the A10 has got me thinking and this thread is leaning more towards the A10. Such an impressive jump over the A6.
I totally agree, I wish I had gotten the manual as well instead of the A6. Even if it meant learning how to drive manual. The A6 just always seems to be in the wrong gear in all driving situations except for highway cruising.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #67
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
i hope the A10 is 10k option....that will make the choice easy. otherwise I think I will go insane trying to decide.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #68
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
i hope the A10 is 10k option....that will make the choice easy. otherwise I think I will go insane trying to decide.
I was thinking the same thing the other day but a part of me hopes they don't 10k it. Because those quick shifts
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #69
Country Boy

Drives: Eh..
Like many have said, I've always been a manual guy, but watching that video of the A10 gave me a chub. It was so awesome and has come so far compared of the old tech 4 speeds that gave everyone their bad taste for autos. Now it seems only 6 speeds in a manual is dinosaur tech. The one thing I would dread is how much power it holds, longevity and what's it going to cost to rebuild.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #70
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
The A8 IS garbage. That's why I had no choice but to buy my 2016 SS with a stick when I wanted an auto. Hopefully the A10 finally offers a DCT experience so I can trade my 2016 SS for one.
Did you used to have a TT C6?

Your posts are all the same. Glad to see you changed your SN and avoided eating crow while anyone was watching.

How many times have you been banned from this site?

TT C6
TT AWD

Or something to that effect. You lower the quality of every forum you join, and you've been banned from just about every one multiple times. Why can't you just relax?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote