Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #16941
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There ain't no wings on dem roundly round NASCARs.

There was that one guy though...........
And they tried wings about 5 to 10 years ago. Everyone hated them. Fans didn't like how they looked, and drivers complained that it made it harder for them to see the car behind them as well as seeing hand signals from the driver in front. So the wings were scrapped and they're back to spoilers.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #16942
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Arent wings generally more efficient than spoilers?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #16943
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Arent wings generally more efficient than spoilers?
Not sure. They probably are, since they're more common in the racing world than spoilers are. I think I remember hearing another complaint about the Nascar wing was that it left the air too 'clean' behind the car, making drafting harder. Which would indicate that it probably created a lot less drag.

But spoilers have their advantages. They distribute the load a lot more than a wing does. In essence, with a spoiler the entire trunk area (as well as part of the rear window) become a zone of downforce. Less bracing* required this way, and it puts the centre of force closer to the middle of the car.

*Side note, one of the reasons why the wing was so high on the Superbird/Daytona was because it needed to be mounted to the frame of the car, instead of the trunk lid itself, and had to be high enough to let the trunk still open.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #16944
pat_t

Drives: .
http://www.bridgetogantry.com/video-...ound-the-ring/

For interest.

Chevy releasing that laptime makes it more likely that a 6th Gen Z/28 is on the way I think as although it's a couple of seconds quicker than the time they posted in the Gen5 Z/28 it's not much, and that Z/28 lap was done in damp conditions.

600bhp and 7mins 20 is my bet for a n/a Gen6 Z/28
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #16945
chimazo

Drives: 2016 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
http://www.bridgetogantry.com/video-...ound-the-ring/

For interest.

Chevy releasing that laptime makes it more likely that a 6th Gen Z/28 is on the way I think as although it's a couple of seconds quicker than the time they posted in the Gen5 Z/28 it's not much, and that Z/28 lap was done in damp conditions.

600bhp and 7mins 20 is my bet for a n/a Gen6 Z/28
I think the new ZL1's time was like 8 SECONDS faster, and had a top speed on the course of something like 20mph faster (!!) than the 2014 Z/28. To me, this makes it seem to me that there would be absolutely no point (or more importantly, no business case to be made) to making a 6th gen Z/28. If anything, IMHO, GM would likely do something similar to a Z07-type of pkg for the ZL1, which would already put it at $70k without adding anything else.
chimazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #16946
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimazo View Post
I think the new ZL1's time was like 8 SECONDS faster, and had a top speed on the course of something like 20mph faster (!!) than the 2014 Z/28. To me, this makes it seem to me that there would be absolutely no point (or more importantly, no business case to be made) to making a 6th gen Z/28. If anything, IMHO, GM would likely do something similar to a Z07-type of pkg for the ZL1, which would already put it at $70k without adding anything else.
I don't follow ... people won't buy a new Z/28 because the new ZL1 is 8 seconds faster than the old Z/28?

What does that have to do with a new Z/28?

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #16947
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I don't follow ... people won't buy a new Z/28 because the new ZL1 is 8 seconds faster than the old Z/28?

What does that have to do with a new Z/28?
I agree - they are two different animals. Why wouldn't GM want a new Z/28 that could be even quicker on the 'Ring/track than a ZL1 as a dedicated track car. Think about it - the previous Gen's Z/28 was even QUICKER than the ZL1 so just because you have a faster ZL1 now doesn't mean the performance stops there!

And, just because you have the ZL1 does NOT mean you don't have a market for an even quicker track car like the Z/28.

I hope, hope, HOPE they build the new Z/28.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #16948
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I agree - they are two different animals. Why wouldn't GM want a new Z/28 that could be even quicker on the 'Ring/track than a ZL1 as a dedicated track car. Think about it - the previous Gen's Z/28 was even QUICKER than the ZL1 so just because you have a faster ZL1 now doesn't mean the performance stops there!

And, just because you have the ZL1 does NOT mean you don't have a market for an even quicker track car like the Z/28.

I hope, hope, HOPE they build the new Z/28.
Just maybe....not as many....and sell them out.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #16949
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Just maybe....not as many....and sell them out.
I agree. Sell them out.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #16950
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I would build a small supply to send to dealers and then make them built to order.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #16951
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I would build a small supply to send to dealers and then make them built to order.
Is that 4 cars, 40, 400, or 4000? The people that give the OK for tooling purchases need to know. As do the companies that supply the parts.

Building to order works quite well when things can be fabbed up by hand. Doesn't work so well when it has to integrate into a mass production system.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #16952
chimazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I agree. Sell them out.
They couldn't sell the less than 2000 they made in '2014-'15, so why would this one be any different? Again, where is the business case that has to be made for anything before being put into production? Do the bean-counters at GM think they need another $75k Camaro? To compete with what?

The truth is, track times don't sell sh!t, HP does. Witness the ENDLESS hype the Hellcat has had, and the roughly 25,000 units sold in just 2yrs. That is a *huge* success, and from a 9yr old design with an ancient chassis platform.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #16953
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimazo View Post
They couldn't sell the less than 2000 they made in '2014-'15, so why would this one be any different? Again, where is the business case that has to be made for anything before being put into production? Do the bean-counters at GM think they need another $75k Camaro? To compete with what?

The truth is, track times don't sell sh!t, HP does. Witness the ENDLESS hype the Hellcat has had, and the roughly 25,000 units sold in just 2yrs. That is a *huge* success, and from a 9yr old design with an ancient chassis platform.
So sell less. There IS a market for a dedicated track car...but it's very small. The business case for such a car is entirely PR and bravado. "Look at what we can do".
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #16954
chimazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
So sell less. There IS a market for a dedicated track car...but it's very small. The business case for such a car is entirely PR and bravado. "Look at what we can do".
I get that, but the new ZL1 already makes that statement, which is why a "Track Pkg" option makes more sense (to me, at least!). Again, just like they have on the new GS and Z06's.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014