Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
My wife's '07 G5 GT has a sealed tranny and 97k miles on it. I was skeptical as hell when we got the car, but it lasted longer than the tranny in my Denali did.
WOW she drives a LOT!

My 96 cav has a small dipstick but you have to be under the car or reach all the way down to get it. The owners manual says it never needs to be changed as long as it is used in only normal driving conditions. I changed it when I bought it with 110K and just changed it at 150K and I wont ever change it again.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
my Harley Fatboy has a dipstick
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #31
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
So ....

how the hell do we change the fluid/ fluid level
you dont. the dealer does
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #32
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Both the manual and the auto are sealed?
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #33
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It won't need new juice unless something goes wrong or it's going in for a rebuild.

The manual is not sealed but it's not dipstick either it's typical gearbox. Checked from under the car by a hole. This is the hydraulic fluid, it stays good as long as not dirty or burnt.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #34
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I've always wondered about this as sealed transmisisons are practically universal in use no matter which car manufacutre you go to...From my understanding the flush/re-filling of the auto trans fluid is a very delicate process that should only be performed by your dealer or a trusted independent at the appropriate timing(milage interval).

On the flip-side this seems done purposely by car makes to ensure they're complying with whatever recycling/waste disposal standards the EPA has set, and secondly to keep you out of their face with an expensive warranty claim while the car is still under coverage. So you're left holding the bag when the thing finally fails, but hey nothing lasts forever. Whatever the cost I'd be willing to pay though, I love this car!

Btw, anyone know what the expected "lifetime" is of any given car? I know the question is as vague as the questioned, but it's a term so loosely thrown around by car manufactures today. Would be a good heads up for car buyers or those intending to keep their cars for the long haul as I'm sure many of us here will.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Has anyone heard anything along these lines? I find it really hard to believe that I will never need to add more tranny fluid until 150,000 miles!
Modern GM automatic transmissions carry lifetime fluid under standard driving conditions. You need never change the transmission fluid unless you're racing the car on a regular basis!