Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 AM   #29
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Wow, you guys are really serious about this.... haha. You can just put it in your garage and it will be just fine, no need to go all obsessive compulsive about it ! Just drive it when the snows melted/ almost melted like any normal person would do with their car, I dont see why it's such a big deal.
it isn't!..you can even store it outside if you want to!..make sure you start it and run it to get it hot.(operating temperature!)..150 to 175 degrees water temperature..move it so the tires don't flat spot on you,and just remove the snow with a 'foam" brush so you don't scratch the paint!...that's it!..important thing is to "start it" on a regular basis,and bring it to operating temperature,and this will keep the battery charged as well!..do this regularly,and no worries!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #30
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Do not start it "every now and then", it is bad for it because it does not reach operating temperatures and sucks in cold air and moisture. Put in Stabil and hook up a battery tender and wait for spring. I have been successfully storing my motorcycles for decades and now my 1SS which I stored last year. I bought a cheepo cover at Walmart to cover it with. Do not buy the Camaro one, it is too small. Get the one for a Crown Victoria. They are $20.00.
You can start one during the winter months without concern of condensation damage in the motor as long as you let the motor oil temperature get above 200 degrees it will be fine. At that point the engine is hot enough to burn off any contaminants in the motor oil as well as any condensation that would cause issue. Also if you’re going to use a car cover I would not us any cheap covers on a nice car; they do more damage then good. Cheap covers hold moisture and over time can cause mold and paint damage even when stored inside. I would look into a Noah or Evolution car cover that breaths and allows any trapped moisture to escape. These types of covers are also very soft to the surface of the paint. JMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
If your not going to drive it until April or so don't forget to drop your insurance coverage to just comprehensive. You don't need collision, personal injury, uninsured motorist, etc...... You can save a ton of money on insurance premiums if it's stored for 4 months out of the year.
You can only do that if you are one of the lucky ones that the car is paid for in full. Finance companies and banks require full coverage year round on cars that are financed thought them.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 12-12-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
You can only do that if you are one of the lucky ones that the car is paid for in full. Finance companies and banks require full coverage year round on cars that are financed thought them.
Called my banker and said "not driving it, got a beater to drive til the salt clears off the roads", He laughed and said "no problem", so they gave me permission to drop full coverage. Only stipulation was that they need 24 hrs to reinstate me when I'm ready to begin driving again. I'm insured with the Hartford.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
You can start one during the winter months without concern of condensation damage in the motor as long as you let the motor oil temperature get above 200 degrees it will be fine. At that point the engine is hot enough to burn off any contaminants in the motor oil as well as any condensation that would cause issue.
However, the exhaust never gets up to full operating temp to burn up the condensation that collects in it. So you'll get ice and it will start to corrode your exhaust system.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Called my banker and said "not driving it, got a beater to drive til the salt clears off the roads", He laughed and said "no problem", so they gave me permission to drop full coverage. Only stipulation was that they need 24 hrs to reinstate me when I'm ready to begin driving again. I'm insured with the Hartford.
I'm suprised.. Most Loan company's will not allow you to drop full coverage and in this part of the country it is clearly stated in the loan paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
However, the exhaust never gets up to full operating temp to burn up the condensation that collects in it. So you'll get ice and it will start to corrode your exhaust system.

By the time you get your engine temp up and the oil is over 200 degrees your engine heat has push the condensation out the end of the tail pipe.. I've stored and started my Corvette for years and by the time I get the temp up I don't have any condensation coming out the tail pipes.. I always give it a few revs for the soul before I shut it down and I don't see any problems. Plus as in most new cars the exhaust is stainless steel, they don't rust.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 12-12-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
Blackwolf

Drives: 02 Grand Prix, 99 Z71 10 SS/RS
Quote:

Car is not payed for and I was able to drop everything but Comp. last year and this year. It saves a significant amount of money too. A Supervisor at Pen Fed Credit Union tried to say I couldn't do it, but an office lady with an actual personality and a lot more common sense made it happen for me.
"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."
Aaron Gold, About.com

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Car is not payed for and I was able to drop everything but Comp. last year and this year. It saves a significant amount of money too. A Supervisor at Pen Fed Credit Union tried to say I couldn't do it, but an office lady with an actual personality and a lot more common sense made it happen for me.
Well,, I stand corrected.. How about we say you should check with your loan company first and make sure they don't have issue with it. I know that several banks and credit unions will check to see if you are maintaining coverage so you need to just make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music.

PS: I would make sure you have it in writing if the company first stated no and then one lady made it happen. You never know when someone might leave a company and then the next person causes problems for you and you don't have anything in writing to fall back on. That is sweet they allow you to do that, big saving I'm sure
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #36
Blackwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by emin7 View Post
You guys do know these car have heated seats, heated mirrors, a hvac system, and remote start (automatics and 2- only) right?

This is not a summer only car, and not a bugatti- jus sayin

Edit: forgot to mention front and rear defrosters
Yeah, we could drive 'em year round up in the upper midwest "Saltbelt"............. Or we could store them safely away in the winter months.

It all depends on what you want it to look like many years down the road.
Attached Images

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."
Aaron Gold, About.com

Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #37
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
drove my 87, 98, and 02 camaros in the snow, they were treacherous. My 2010 1SS will sit high and dry next to my Harley. I bought a 2001 Buick for a winter machine last year and was glad that I did. If you drive. A car through the salt and snow it gets a scruffy look to it that doesn't clean up, not to mention how bad a wide tired V-8 is in snow.

Last edited by HDDAN; 12-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #38
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
You can start it once in awhile but be sure to let it run for 30 minutes to burn up all the moisture.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #39
Blackwolf

Quote:
Well,, I stand corrected.. How about we say you should check with your loan company first and make sure they don't have issue with it. I know that several banks and credit unions will check to see if you are maintaining coverage so you need to just make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music.
Absolutely! Couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
PS: I would make sure you have it in writing if the company first stated no and then one lady made it happen. You never know when someone might leave a company and then the next person causes problems for you and you don't have anything in writing to fall back on. That is sweet they allow you to do that, big saving I'm sure
Good point. This was more a case of the office lady having more knowledge of their system then the Management person did.
Aaron Gold, About.com