Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
It's worse than average I would say, but absolutely not an issue when you get used to compensating. Reminds me of driving a Volvo 262 Bertone I used to have...
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #58
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
The blind spots are only bad if the mirrors aren't adjusted properly.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #59
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Yeah, has blind spots. When you are looking back at traffic to merge or turn in, you don't have the best view. My old Eclipse Spyder had issues too, it was a convertible so had that little window in the back that you didn't have a full view. The mirrors came handy in that car too. So yeah, every car has its quirks. Hatchbacks always have great views, like the Trans Ams / Firebirds or something...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #60
Tourney3p0

Drives: 2012 1LS
It took me a few days to get used to checking my spots while changing lanes, but no issues at all there anymore. The mirrors are designed amazingly well, and the window is long enough that you can easily check whatever the mirror might miss.

Reversing out of parking spots on the other hand is terrifying sometimes. If you're parked next to a truck or SUV, you will definitely need to come out an extra couple of feet before you can see anything.
Tourney3p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #61
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
What difference do blind spots make when the idiots don't look in the first place? I have people "moving in" on me all the time, and they are not in Camaros. Yeah, its MASSIVE if you don't Bleeping Look!

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #62
hwanger24

Drives: 11 Camaro Convert 2SS/RS
Only issues I have is when there's two cars parked next to me and I have to reverse out.
hwanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #63
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
What blind spots?

Sent from my Transformer
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I got to test drive a 2SS briefly and I honestly wasn't paying too much attention to the blind spots, just how the car felt and it was on a back road with no traffic and wide lanes so I was not concerned about who was in front or behind me.

I've been reading and reading about the Camaro and how terrible the blind spots are and it worried me a little. I'm used to driving a lifted crew cab truck so I'm partial to looking back out of the rear door glass to see what's there.

Are they THAT bad?
NO. It's certainly no Silverado single cab...but the visibility "issues" are WAY overblown, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Learn to set your mirrors properly and there are ZERO blind spots.
+1
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #65
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
No problem here, just learn to keep your head on a swivel, and adjust your mirrors.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #66
AK Mike

Drives: 1951 Chevy Pickup 2010 Camaro
Almost every car is different...

I've only had one time (in two years) when I got caught by surprise with someone in my blind spot in the Camaro; it was in Salt Lake City last year, there was a bunch of construction going on and there was actually a merge lane on the left side...I was in the left lane and another lane merged from my left so I went to move into the lane when I saw a car in my mirror...the only thing I can think of is that he came in from the merge lane and just 'sat' in my blind spot...plus, I'd been driving all day and was tired so I got kinda amped up with the traffic and all...(I really don't like driving in traffic...). At least my old truck driving habits paid off; gradual lane changes, signalling ahead of time and checking mirrors consistently. The Camaro isn't bad at all, try driving a dump truck with a pup sometime in traffic...a lot of people (who've never driven a truck, I'd bet) will really pull some stunts around trucks...thought I'd creamed a Mustang one time when she jumped around my left side then cut in front of me and apparently turned right...she was so close I couldn't see her over the hood and I had the dump truck (empty at the time) hopping trying to stop. I learned to drive with my mirrors a long time ago and still ensure that the mirrors are set right before moving regardless of what vehicle I'm in.
AK Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #67
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
I got used to the blind spots. Having the proper mirror adjustments is key to working around the blind spots.

Backing up can be challenging, especially when I end up parked between a couple of large SUV's. My big issue was trying to see where the right fender ends, can be nerve rattling when trying to get into a parking space with a car in the space to your right....took some time to figure this out.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #68
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
for some, i would say the blind sports are bothersome. probably won't see euch feedback on here as people here would either be used to it or didn't find them an issue.

you can always adjust your mirrors properly and that's what i've done.

i have heard of people returning/trading in their camaros because of the blindspot. best to take it for a spin in the busy day time with narrow lanes and traffic around you to get a better feel. it's a big purchase, do your due dilligence.

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #69
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Setting the mirrors will help with the side and rear view, but a lot of people forgot to mention the front blind spots. The front pillars on each side of the windshield can really present a problem. I've almost pulled out right in front of people on the road and in parking lots because I looked both ways and didn't see anyone, but their car was entirely blocked by the pillar. IMO, this is the most dangerous blind spot to watch out for.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #70
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
Really not as bad as they were originally made out to be. I drove a Corolla before this and although I had better visibility with the car, it took me a day or two to get used to the Camaro. You just need to set the side mirrors properly so you can get the full view. Also, I bought a cheap pair of blind spot mirrors that give me a wider view on the road. Blind spots shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether you want the car or not because, although they are an issue, it isn't enough to deter someone from a purchase.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote