Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
NVNO1

Drives: corvette
C5 Z 06 guys who moved to ZL1

I have an 02 Z06 that I love, but I've been thinking about changing things up and getting a ZL1 gen5. Curious to hear the opinions of guys who have made this move. Not sure if it's worth the extra 15-20k? I think the befits of the ZL1 include a newer car, newer tech (nav, blue tooth) oil dif train coolers and easy to mod for not much money. Sits higher so you don't scrape on everything?
C5 benefits less expensive for same performance. Pretty much bottomed out as far as value. Cheaper to register and insure.
I will be using the ZL1 like I use my Z. Semi daily (nice days) I have a truck for crap weather. Carving canyons in Malibu 3-4 times a year as well as mountain roads, car shows and track days maybe a couple of times a year.
I'm concerned about the weight of the ZL1 and it not being as nimble in the canyons. Also it getting heat soak from the S/C and brake fade from the weight. Thanks for any input
NVNO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Ok, don't drive a ZL1, but I think I have a little insight having owned a C5 and a C6 Z06, and moved on to a 1LE. From a simple cost "bang for the buck" prespective, you will be hard pressed to beat the performance of the Z06 after dropping a fraction of the $$ you'll spend on switching. Of course, the stock suspension and engine of the ZL1 are better than the C5 Z, but you can improve on both for less than the cost of the switch.

I love the Camaro for different reasons than the Z, and sometimes we make these changes for reasons beyond $$$.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
I had a 04 c5z, then had a 14 camaro ss 1le, now I have a 14 shelby. Also have had experience behind the wheel of a ZL1.

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that sans the weight, the ZL1 is a better car for your intended purposes. If you have the extra coin to afford it, go for it.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVNO1 View Post
I have an 02 Z06 that I love, but I've been thinking about changing things up and getting a ZL1 gen5. Curious to hear the opinions of guys who have made this move. Not sure if it's worth the extra 15-20k? I think the befits of the ZL1 include a newer car, newer tech (nav, blue tooth) oil dif train coolers and easy to mod for not much money. Sits higher so you don't scrape on everything?
C5 benefits less expensive for same performance. Pretty much bottomed out as far as value. Cheaper to register and insure.
I will be using the ZL1 like I use my Z. Semi daily (nice days) I have a truck for crap weather. Carving canyons in Malibu 3-4 times a year as well as mountain roads, car shows and track days maybe a couple of times a year.
I'm concerned about the weight of the ZL1 and it not being as nimble in the canyons. Also it getting heat soak from the S/C and brake fade from the weight. Thanks for any input
No C5 Vette is in the same League as the ZL1. A C6 z06 obviously yes, but a C5 or regular C6 Vette isn't touching the ZL1 either in terms of all around performance, it's not even close.

ZL1 is an awesome ride, huge improvement from the SS and yes, it makes nearly 600rwhp with basic bolt ons less than $2k.

People are daily driving 700rwhp ZL1's for less than $4k in upgrades.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We have been modding LS engines for awhile now and the LSA is a great platform. The LS6 was a monster in it's heyday and still a great engine but the LSA makes such easy power. If you were looking to go with an all out track build the Vette and it's lightweight is a great option. If you want to drive it daily (nice weather) and track it every now and again with some bolt ons the Camaro would make more sense. Like mentioned above a couple grand in mods really wakes up the LSA and 700-800 rwhp is possible.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
No C5 Vette is in the same League as the ZL1. A C6 z06 obviously yes, but a C5 or regular C6 Vette isn't touching the ZL1 either in terms of all around performance, it's not even close.

ZL1 is an awesome ride, huge improvement from the SS and yes, it makes nearly 600rwhp with basic bolt ons less than $2k.

People are daily driving 700rwhp ZL1's for less than $4k in upgrades.
Which mods are yielding 700rwhp for under 4k?
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
yeah, what he said.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
yeah, what he said.
Upper, Lower, Intake, Headers, Injectors, Flex Fuel Sensor, Cam, 50/50 93/E85 mix will make 700 RWHP. I'd guess more like $8,000 or more.

Forum Member "ZL W0N" did the above list of mods, dynoed 703 RWHP on an A6, and cost him around $9,000 (Included in that is NT05Rs (~800$), install, and a dyno tune by Jeremy Formato). He acquired/bought everything slowly and I think bought some of it used, he also worked with an affordable installer (Not a big name shop that charges 50% more than they should).
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 AM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Upper, Lower, Intake, Headers, Injectors, Flex Fuel Sensor, Cam, 50/50 93/E85 mix will make 700 RWHP. I'd guess more like $8,000 or more.

Forum Member "ZL W0N" did the above list of mods, dynoed 703 RWHP on an A6, and cost him around $9,000 (Included in that is NT05Rs (~800$), install, and a dyno tune by Jeremy Formato). He acquired/bought everything slowly and I think bought some of it used, he also worked with an affordable installer (Not a big name shop that charges 50% more than they should).
I would lean toward this cost assessment...I don't think you can get to 700rwhp unless you're doing the work yourself and only purchasing the parts...If having to purchase the mods and pay for the install the price is going to creep to at least 7K and above, and that's having it done correctly not under a shade tree...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
TIREKLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

This sounds more realistic!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
So then what are you guys netting with pulley/intake/headers/cam upgrade/tune then?

I thought that was good for at the very least 650rwhp
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I had 3 different C5 Z06's and attended several track days. As a bang for the buck goes it can't be beat. It was very neutral and light feeling.

I now have a ZL1 which as a overall street car with an occasional track day is is miles above the C5. It is comfortable, heavy, quiet and a beast all at the same time.

I miss the easy driving of the C5 Z06 but for any trips or street driving, I love the ZL1. Hope that helps.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Anybody can have big power if you just open your check book to a shop. But what fun is that. I easily hit 623 rwhp with $3200 in mods that anybody that can turn a wrench could do.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327383

Then another $700ish for cam and supporting parts to hit right at 700 rwhp.
I do the work myself because I enjoy the accomplishment. But also so I know it's done right. I've seen many people screwed by "Big Name Shops". So do you research. Most recently here in Nashville Toby Thompson http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...17-tobynt.html dumped $10,000 into his ZR1 at a very "Popular Shop" and his "New" engine is full of metal.

Back on topic. I kept my C5 Z06 when I bought the ZL1 and love both. My 15 year old 3000 lb Z06 will still out handle the ZL1. But the Camaro is a much more refined comfortable ride. They both do very well in their own niche. But I would described the ZL1 handling as feeling like a heavy Corvette. In a good way, not in a bad way.
Attached Images

Last edited by ZO6 Bryan; 03-01-2017 at 08:26 AM.
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
TIREKLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Anybody can have big power if you just open your check book to a shop. But what fun is that. I easily hit 623 rwhp with $3200 in mods that anybody that can turn a wrench could do.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327383

Then another $700ish for cam and supporting parts to hit right at 700 rwhp.
I do the work myself because I enjoy the accomplishment. But also so I know it's done right. I've seen many people screwed by "Big Name Shops". So do you research. Most recently here in Nashville Toby Thompson http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...17-tobynt.html dumped $10,000 into his ZR1 at a very "Popular Shop" and his "New" engine is full of metal.
There it is then, dmpsix was correct $3900 if you do the work yourself which I would and you can put down 700rwhp, this is very motivational. I will check out your build link Thank you BryanZ06!