Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
There's no way to rate the possibilities of the 5th gen.

On one hand, it's a completely brand new chassis, body....hell the whole car is un-tested by the general consumer. Generally a scary time for any car-maker.

On the other, this is without a doubt the biggest thing GM has done in many many years, and Bob lutz has to know this. They are undoubtedly putting HUGE efforts into ironing out all the details before release, which is painful to wait for, but hopefully we reap the rewards of having a solidly built and long-lasting love affair.
Completely agreed on everything above. Nobody can predict the durability of the New Camaro, even looking at a Commodore or G8 (when it comes out), they modified the Zeta Chassis for this particular application. Who knows if this made the chassis more fragile, or stronger.( I can only hope that is the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
It's about to turn over 179k(i drive and hour to and from work) and still runs fine. Biggest issue i have had is the fuel pump went out. Other minor things like rear main seal having a small leak and different stuff but nothing huge and nothing i couldn't fix myself...
That's what I like to hear. Every vehicle has it's quirks, apparently one of the 4th gens' was fuel pump. But I like hearing high-mileage Camaro stories. Even if it doesn't tell us anything about the New One.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Hmm, I guess my prof was wrong when he told me "When it comes to engineering, of performing well, reliability, and low cost: pick 2 'cause you're never gonna get all 3. You can have something cheap and effective that breaks all the time, something indestructable and cheap but doesn't work well, or indestructable and effective that costs a fortune. But never cheap, effective, and durable"
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Well, tell your professor times are changing! I have a VERY strong feeling we are getting all three here...VERY strong feeling.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #18
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Well I have not had a Camaro before, but the bow-tie has pretty much been a presence in my family for a while. I, personally have had 2 Luminas, a 95 Monte Carlo Z-34, a 78 Nova, and a 93 Cavalier, and 2 Caprices (I plan on using my GM owners loyalty discount to the fullest when I get my Camaro) and out of all of those Chevys the 95 Monte Carlo Z34 was the only one the made me punch out the brake lights, literally. And that was because GM tried some funny stuff constructing the make-up of that engine. Other than that, my experiences have been long endured with GM reliability. Care and maintenance is very important to keeping your GM running and you happy. I ran my 1992 Caprice into the ground the odometer well into 325K, My 93 Lumina I had was passed around from me to my mom then to my youngest brother. When let the city take it the odometer read 427,653! No joke. The trans was replaced at 297K, that is when my little brother got a hold of it and tried to floor it everytime. Any way, I look forward to getting my hands on the Camaro because, it will be my weekend car, which means that it may be a heirloom to my kids.
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #19
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
To look at the reliability of the 5th gen, just look at the current chevy line-up or even the whole GM line-up and see the current reliability results. Being thats its on the Zeta platform, I would do like already stated and see how the Holden Commodore is holding up.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I dont wanna jinx it (knock on wood) but almost every car has little bugs when they first come out the first year. would you guys agree?
Does this also apply (in your opinion) to new redesigns that use the same underpinnings? (Such as the 3rd to 4th Gens?)

I only ask because I had a 1995 Cavalier (first year of the new redesign, but was still on the same platform) that never had a single problem in the 5 years/98,000 miles I owned it.

For me Cavalier = Most Reliable Car Ever
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Screwed for what??? I look forward to my car going over 100k, they're built to run even longer!!! (Volvo owner here= 03' S60 2.4T Sport)
I just mean screwed in that I will have to pay for repairs. Something I don't like doing if it's over $500. I'd rather just get rid of the vehicle for a new more reliable one than pay for repairs.

Warranty Expiring = Trade It to me.

Like I said, I've never owned a vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I traded my first 3 around 98,000. My next two were less than 36,000. And the Aveo will probably be less than 25,000.

I know cars can go for more than 100,000. My '95 Cavalier is still puttering around my area 7 years after I traded it, I see it every now and then. I just prefer to not have the headache/stress of car repairs if I can help it.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can see where your coming from EllwynX, and I'm not trying to convert you or anything. But My '95 Dodge Caravan: 12 year-old vehicle, is still running strong, with very minor problems. I love it, but I can't wait to replace it with the Camaro!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #23
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
I kept my old '88 Blazer as a back up vehicle so we'd have something to drive if one of the primary vehicles was in the shop or something. It's still running strong with 331,000 or so miles on the original engine which has never been opened up. Regular oil/filter changes keep these GM vehicles running smoothly, never much repair needed save the once in a while water pump, etc. I've gotten excellent service out of all of my GM vehicles (both cars and trucks) over the last forty some years.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #24
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
well I just drove my 01 camaro from the east coast to the west coast and she's now got well over 141K miles on her. you get what you put into your car, take care or her and she'll take care of you. I never miss anything on my maint. plan, no matter if its a oil change, egr, what ever I do it all and my Fbody runs great. hell she's a V6 automatic and if I give her some throttle the tires still chirp coming outta first!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i have a 94Z28 that I bought with just under 150k. it has had nitrous ran on it at one point. iv had it for 14 months now and she's about to touch 170k. replaced the tires numerous times, put a tune on her and a few other free mods. still have no problems. got scared a couple times when she wouldnt start, tho that turned out to be two things on diff ocasions (fuel gauge inop. so i drive by mileage, only trip odo only shows 1/3 of the miles traveled, took a 2100mile drive home and back to figure that one out; and the negative batt terminal got loose and the car wouldnt start) other than that i have only had one problem, and that was when my water pump went out, all it did was pop a couple bearings and get jammed up then broke free and kept working fine, but I wanted to replace it anyway. suprisingly enough, my opti is still runnin and gunnin (tho now that I say that itll crap out on me on the way home). any other problems i have had with the car is a result of my own neglegence or when I "adjust" something without proper knowledge.

ive never owned a V-8 before this car, all my others were straight/slant-6's. I got the LT1 and have never looked back. im looking at getting an 09 camaro, but funds have been lacking a tad, plus the gf wants to get a convertable when she graduates her master's program and I still need to buy a ring for her. lol the plan is to buy a beater truck at the end of this year and a trailer to haul the 94 after the first of the year when I pull the engine for racing and then get the 09/10 to DD.

and as for you guys with the fuel pump problems (or anyone for that matter), have you checked ur fuel filters?

reliability consists of driving aspects (how hard you push the car), preventative maintenance (changing fluids/filters, regular checkups), and fuel; i know most of you dont want to shell out the extra bills for premium, but it helps fuel economy. all I run in my $200.00, 170k monster is 93 octane (then again im runnin 12.3:1 compression also...hee hee hee)

if you are worried about engine performance, buy the new maro and get an old inline-6 and drop in. lol the one in my 78 has over 200k and i only change the oil twice a year!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #26
i3litzkrieg

Drives: custom camaro 95 3.4 v6 300hp
IM A PROUD CAMARO 1995 V6 OWNER , serusly man it rocks ,i have seen LOTS of camaros with 150000 miles, and they are still ****ing 2005 mustangs. i own a 1995 camaro v6 with manual windows , aut transmision ,i have had some trouble with the hoses but they it just a hose ,and just to let ya know i floor the pedal like two times per day i love to run in my camaro , and with 105k miles is still running strong and no motor problems , just give it the proper maintenance , wash it every week ,and you will never have problems , i love camaro 4th gen , i used to have a 3rd gen it really sucked
i3litzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #27
i3litzkrieg

Drives: custom camaro 95 3.4 v6 300hp
by the way , i LOVE 4th gen , more than the new camaro , im just geting it cuz is new and bears the name camaro , i love the fact the fbody plataform its so unstable you lose the control in every corner i love it!!!!! its quite fun
i3litzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #28
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
Had several 1st gen, no problems. I had a 74 LT, the only problem I had with that one was I couldn't keep the carburetor working. I had a 83 Z28 and that was the worst car I have ever owned. Clutches, starting problems, transmission issues, body hardware, you name it. After I got married I went on to more utilitarian vehicles until 1997 when my wife bought a Sunfire converitble. We still have that car with 149K on it and my daughter now drives it to school. So far except for a new tranny, that one has been a good one. I haven't bought a new GM vehicle since 97. I hope they can get this one right from the beginning, and not a recurring 3rd Gen nightmare.
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote