Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well this couldn't have come at a worse time...

Here in good ol' bipolar climate Tennessee we got a pretty good amount of snow and ice tonight. For whatever reason I'll never know I decided that I would drive to my stepsister's house and help her with an entertainment center. Well on the way home I lost traction going into a turn and ran up on a curb going probably 10mph tops. Unfortunately, that was just enough to pop my rear driver's side tire which already had a nail in it. I managed to make it home with no problems, but it's a pretty big hole in the sidewall. My question is: is this type of thing repairable, and if not how much would it cost (average) for a used 245/45/16? I'm severly limited in money at the moment so this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Looks like a new tire is in your future. Most places won't even attempt to repair a sidewall. If it's a big hole like you said it probably can't be repaired safely anyway. I hope you find one at a good price.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
No tire shop will attempt to repair a sidewall hole. Make some calls to local shops to find a used tire.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sidewall damage is NOT reparable, sorry dude. It's the most susceptible part of the tire, and any damage to the sidewall at all is grounds for replacement... I've done this once myself, sux to be dealing with during Christmas :(

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Here in good ol' bipolar climate Tennessee we got a pretty good amount of snow and ice tonight. For whatever reason I'll never know I decided that I would drive to my stepsister's house and help her with an entertainment center. Well on the way home I lost traction going into a turn and ran up on a curb going probably 10mph tops. Unfortunately, that was just enough to pop my rear driver's side tire which already had a nail in it. I managed to make it home with no problems, but it's a pretty big hole in the sidewall. My question is: is this type of thing repairable, and if not how much would it cost (average) for a used 245/45/16? I'm severly limited in money at the moment so this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
unfortunately,sidewall damage in unrepairable,and a new tire must be purchased!..reason for this is because the 'sidewall" is the weakest area of the tire,and any attempt to repair damage in that location will NOT withstand the pressure,and will just "blowout!"
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
call around and look on craigslist, you should be able to find a used tire for low money somewhere. Hit all the local garages and shops, call them on phone and explain your predicament.. Someone will have what you need. Good luck !
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
MustangKillr

Thanks for all the help everyone. I kind of figured I would have to replace the tire :(. Hopefully I can get one for <$100 at least to get me through winter. I have a Discount Tire right down the road for me, so hopefully they'll have one for relatively cheap *crosses fingers*. I don't need to torque the lugs on the spare tire do I?

Edit: Also, how long can I safely drive on the spare? I've never had a blowout before :(...

Last edited by MustangKillr; 12-13-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
Reprobate
MR YUK

Drives: MR YUK '11 ls SGM
Growing up near poverty infested Youngstown Ohio my friends and I would often sell some plasma for extra cash. Taught this trick to plenty of spoiled prep school kids at college as well, who away from their parents found themselves broke at times. Not a big deal at all and I would do it again if I needed money. Used to get 40 bucks in about an hour. Good luck and keep your head up. Bring a friend and make it like a spa day except they pay you.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
hotrodhoodrat
hotrodhoodratz

Drives: 68' & 70' Pontiac's /2004 D. Dakota
Quote:
Thanks for all the help everyone. I kind of figured I would have to replace the tire :(. Hopefully I can get one for <$100 at least to get me through winter. I have a Discount Tire right down the road for me, so hopefully they'll have one for relatively cheap *crosses fingers*. I don't need to torque the lugs on the spare tire do I?

Edit: Also, how long can I safely drive on the spare? I've never had a blowout before :(...
If cramped with a budget, get a used tier, they can go for 40+/- depending the shop you go to.

Yes, you should all ways torque the lugs on a spare, check your owners manual or call your dealer that deals in your type of car.
Don't drive over 500 miles (MAX) on a donut spare tire, these types of tiers are meant to get you to from point A to point B and that's it., if you must drive it any further, plan on replacing it as well., check the spare as you go on using it further... for ware and tare... if the tread is gone "don't use it at all & it should be replaced ASAP !". Don't go extremely fast & avoid Highways & Freeways as much as possible, stay 5mls under the speed limit, most police officers will understand and allow you to drive safely in this type of operation/manner....

I hope this helps and good luck, be safe & happy holidays.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
MustangKillr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
If cramped with a budget, get a used tier, they can go for 40+/- depending the shop you go to.

Yes, you should all ways torque the lugs on a spare, check your owners manual or call your dealer that deals in your type of car.
Don't drive over 500 miles (MAX) on a donut spare tire, these types of tiers are meant to get you to from point A to point B and that's it., if you must drive it any further, plan on replacing it as well., check the spare as you go on using it further... for ware and tare... if the tread is gone "don't use it at all & it should be replaced ASAP !". Don't go extremely fast & avoid Highways & Freeways as much as possible, stay 5mls under the speed limit, most police officers will understand and allow you to drive safely in this type of operation/manner....

I hope this helps and good luck, be safe & happy holidays.
Thanks that helps a bunch. I will be ecstatic if I can get a tire for around $40 to $50. 500 miles is more than enough for me, at the most I'll be driving no more than 100 miles on it. The spare tire is brand new so it should be fine. Well that sucks, I don't have a torque wrench :(.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

I drove on a donut for a shameful 3 months in my 96 Would probably depend alot on how the roads look in your area tho...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:

I wouldn't suggest driving long on the spare. You can however get a brand new tire for less than 100 bucks - much less a used one. These are the tires I'm running right now - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...11612&sw=false - and they work just fine. Not the best tire on the planet but they grip decently well and wear nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Growing up near poverty infested Youngstown Ohio my friends and I would often sell some plasma for extra cash. Taught this trick to plenty of spoiled prep school kids at college as well, who away from their parents found themselves broke at times. Not a big deal at all and I would do it again if I needed money. Used to get 40 bucks in about an hour. Good luck and keep your head up. Bring a friend and make it like a spa day except they pay you.
I work at the local plasma clinic here - no shame in donating. Plus, it really does save lives.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
MustangKillr

An update to all those that were curious about what happened: Monday morning I went outside to change the tire to the spare that I had. Well as I'm digging for tools in my garage I come to find out that I don't have a single socket above 17mm nor do I have any deep well sockets. Not only that, but I was supposed to be at this girl's house to take her and her little sister sledding. So, feeling a little stressed that I don't have the tools to change the tire I call the tire shop where I got my tire from to see if it had any road hazard insurance. Of course not. However he told me that he would change the tire to the spare for free since I didn't have the tools at my house. Well I made it home the other night driving on it, so I thought I would risk driving 3 miles up the road where the tire shop was...

I pull out of my driveway and down the next street, I turn onto the main road and not even 30 feet down the road... BOOM! Full on tire blowout. I pull into the median and wait for AAA to come and change the spare for me. I waited an hour and a half in the freezing cold, and when the guy finally got there he reluctantly changed my tire. So I called the tire shop and they said they could get me a new tire in the morning for $99.99. So I told them to go ahead and do it. I called my dad and told him what happened and he told me that he would buy the tire for me (WHOO!!!). So I went and got the tire put on yesterday and though I don't see the point in having three 1 year old tires and one brand new one, I'm very VERY thankful to have all 4 tires with no nails in them!

Here's a picture of what the tire looked like the day I went to the tire shop before I got my new one put on: