Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
Leolee

Drives: camaro
man my dad taught me to do that when i first drove and flash or wave back a thanks... from what i know i thought it is illegal to flash your lights now because it can be "gang related"
Leolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #30
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
don't take it so personally.

A few years ago, in wi, gangs were flashing their lights at cars, and if the cars flashed back, or responded in some way, they got shot at.

plus, I usually don't want the risk of having the cop see my lights flash, and get pulled over myself.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #31
hisinc

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM
I still do this sometimes, but not as much anymore because most people don't seem to know what it means. I am from the city and my mom and grandma taught me this before I even started driving..
hisinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #32
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisinc View Post
I still do this sometimes, but not as much anymore because most people don't seem to know what it means. I am from the city and my mom and grandma taught me this before I even started driving..
UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #33
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
don't take it so personally.

A few years ago, in wi, gangs were flashing their lights at cars, and if the cars flashed back, or responded in some way, they got shot at.

plus, I usually don't want the risk of having the cop see my lights flash, and get pulled over myself.

Actually that's an Urban Legend and not true, just about every city has those same stories ....

http://www.snopes.com/
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #34
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I also got a ticket for doing that ten plus years ago, so since I don't like paying fines, those days are over. The LEO who stopped me was a d*ck to boot, despite how respectful I was to him for doing his job.

Now if LEO's would do something about all the people who drive w/ brights on....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
Buhmblbe
Growing Up=Optional

Drives: 2010 Camaro Transformers 2LT RS
I stopped doing this years ago when I found out that gangs were targeting people who flash their lights at them for initiation rituals. Poor bastards would flash their headlights at a car to warn of headlights off or something and then the gang members would follow that person and beat the crud out of them or worse, cut them with a knife etc. That story scared the crap out of me so badly that I really don't flash lights at anyone anymore.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
ShowTime

Drives: 2010 IOM M6 2SS/RS
I still hit the lights sometimes, but like others have said . . . only after I've checked that no cop is around to see me do it.

I also use them all the time to let truckers know that there is space for them to move over (when they have their turn signal on)
1100 Preliminary Order Accepted (10/26)
2500 Preferenced (11/03), 3000 Accepted by Production Control(11/04/09) TPW (11/23)
3300 Scheduled for Production (11/11), 3400 Order broadcast (11/12/09), 3800 Order produced (11/25)
4150 Produced, Invoiced and Available to ship (11/25), 4200 Shipped (11/26), 4800 Rail Ramp Unload (12/4)
5000 Delivered to the dealer (12/7)
6000 Delivered to customer (12/10/09)
ShowTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhmblbe View Post
I stopped doing this years ago when I found out that gangs were targeting people who flash their lights at them for initiation rituals. Poor bastards would flash their headlights at a car to warn of headlights off or something and then the gang members would follow that person and beat the crud out of them or worse, cut them with a knife etc. That story scared the crap out of me so badly that I really don't flash lights at anyone anymore.
yes, that happened around here too. very scary.

I flashed my lights at a car that was tailgating me one time around Charleston after I could finally get by the traffic beside me to let him go around and turned out it was an unmarked car! man, he was pissed. yeah, I got a ticket.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #38
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Actually that's an Urban Legend and not true, just about every city has those same stories ....

http://www.snopes.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhmblbe View Post
FYI
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #39
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
People don't care that much anymore. It is more of a ME Society then a we Society!

Plus as it was mentioned the urban legend's, People believe them even with snopes i still get them from people all the time.
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
I didn't know it was protocol to flash back in thanks? There usually isn't enough time to do that, and why would you want to flash your lights as you approach the speed-trap LEO anyway??
(if I got pulled for flashing lights to warn others, I would just say I was cycling the daytime running lights because I am constantly doing that to kill them anyway)
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Is there a universal signal for "TURN OFF YOUR BLINKER"?!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #42
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Is there a universal signal for "TURN OFF YOUR BLINKER"?!
I wish
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote