Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #127
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
Dang a v6 camaro with just as much hp as a GT mustang... thats awesome
I bet ford is working on the next mustang and will try and top the camaro, if it keeps going like this were gonna end up with 600 hp camaros and mustangs in 50 years haha
50 years! Dude, the ZR1 has way over 600 HP already so the Camaro could easily have it when it comes out in less than one year if GM wanted to do it! I think most Camaro buyers are going to be a LOT more interested in the V6 in today's day and age though.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #128
Team Monte Carlo SS

Drives: Trans Am WS6
Cool camaro v6 engine

ford oughta be unshamed of thereselves the Chevy Camaro v6 will have the same horsepower as the lame ford mustake gt v8 that goes to show you how much ford suck the ford mustake will never be a match for the Camaro ever
Team Monte Carlo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #129
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
Dang a v6 camaro with just as much hp as a GT mustang... thats awesome
I bet ford is working on the next mustang and will try and top the camaro, if it keeps going like this were gonna end up with 600 hp camaros and mustangs in 50 years haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
50 years! Dude, the ZR1 has way over 600 HP already so the Camaro could easily have it when it comes out in less than one year if GM wanted to do it! I think most Camaro buyers are going to be a LOT more interested in the V6 in today's day and age though.
Didn't I hear these same comments back in 1970? Right before the insurance companies bought the USA? Hope this ain't Deja Vu
Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #130
Team Monte Carlo SS

Drives: Trans Am WS6
biggest debut ever

im thinkin bout somethin sick like a 500 plus horsepowered Camaro since the Camaro will be returning it needs to return with a vengence! we(GM)dont need to run neck and neck with our competitors we need to run over them!
Team Monte Carlo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #131
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
not to bust your chops eric... buuuuut, comparing two cars with different weight and gearing options makes it unfair to compare. just cus the vette can pull off those numbers with the LS3 doesnt mean a camaro will be able to.
I agree, I actually thought about this after I posted it, the Vette is waaay lighter than the CTS, almost 700 lbs lighter, but its hard to imagine a DI V6 getting any more than 18/26 MPG in the Camaro. Now they really have to consider the 2.0 T4 engine, but again, inside the Soltice its 19/28 (manual) and 19/26 for the auto, but the Camaro is sure to weigh more than the 2976 lb Soltice, so will the 2.0 T4 engine even be a viable option compared to the V6? There is a ton of variables we would could consider here based off the existing vehicles. If the LS3 V8 gets 17/24 in the Camaro with that cylinder shutoff feature I'm getting that one without question. I just don't see how fuel efficient enough GM could make the V6 or T4 engines to make me or many other people bypass the V8, right now the only major factors appear to be overally cost of the vehicle and insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTone View Post
Dude, look at your source. Edmunds is notorious for having bad test numbers. All three C&D, MT and R&T got the DI CTS to do 0-60 in under a 6.0. Now saying that I have no dought that the DI camaro will be neck to neck with the whale of a R/T challenger. The SRT8 version only got a 4.7 pass to 60 so a mid 5 second number if not worse is expected out of the challenger. The DI camaro won't have trouble matching if not exceeding those numbers.

I somewhat disagree with this, have you seen Road & Track's Dodge Charger SRT8 numbers compared to MT? Road and Tracks numbers are ALWAYS faster than MT for some reason. I subscribe to both, the same was true for the Lancer Evo MR. I trust Motor Trend more than Road and Track. Never been too much of a fan of C & D though. Also, I have in Motor Trend the Cadillac STS with the DI V6 getting 0-60 at 6.4 seconds. I'll post the exact issue numbers for both really soon. I have soo many of those magazines stacked. I also have Automobile magazine so some of the number comparisons I found in there too.

Lastly, I don't think its possible for the DI V6 Camaro to run neck and neck with a Challenger R/T, you will lose at 0-60 AND 0-100. Maybe in 1/8 mile it could but the Challenger would just catch up to it and beat it.

Ok I found one example, Automobile Magazine, Sept. 2007 issue Cadillac CTS DI V6 304hp, 0-60 MPH 6.6 seconds 1/4 mile 15.1 (thats no better than a stock 3800 Camaro, Firebird with Y87 performance package). 0-120MPH 25.8 seconds! Therefore even in a Camaro that weights 450lbs less, there is NO way you will be beating Dodge Challengers R/Ts, even the V6 Challenger will give you a heck of a time. Maybe the V6 camaro can hit the 1/4 mile at 14.5 with a better exhaust etc. But I'm looking at every 100lbs being 0.1 sec or more off the 1/4 mile. Lets just hope GM leaves room for a S/C or Turbo this time for the V6 guys, that way they'll have an easier time upgrading and then finally whooping any Challenger R/T, SRT etc. But if GM can get the V6 to say 0-60 in 5.6 seconds stock, then we have a true winner with the V6.

No more V6s for me unless its the Porche 911 Carrera or the Nissan GTR, both of which will be out of my reach.

Last edited by Dark Eric; 05-24-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Dark Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #132
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
I am stoked for this car, only 20K you get a v6 with as much HP as a mustang GT and its a bowtie . It will be one hell of an upgrade my my 93 cavi lol.

I wonder how much of an after market there will be for this engine?
ZeeTwentyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #133
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
You decide.... I think yes!!

First engine bay photos.
Also featured on homepage.

CLUES:
-- "LLT" letters on some hoses indicate GM's LLT engine (the direct-injection 3.6L V6)
-- throttle-body size / shape and bolts holding it on
-- three fluid reservoirs in the same locations

Attachment 4916

comparison engines....

Attachment 4917
Attachment 4918
Without reading the rest of the thread (sorry) -- That IS a V6.

And, I'd bet THIS V6 will set new benchmarks in performance and economy for years to come. Congrats to the GM powertrain engineers.

Quote by Col. Kilgore: "Outstanding, Red Team! Outstanding. You get you a case of beer for that one!!!

<Death From Above> (for those that keep track of such things).
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #134
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
And for whomever was looking for the battery..................

Don't look like there's one under THAT hood!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #135
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eric View Post
I agree, I actually thought about this after I posted it, the Vette is waaay lighter than the CTS, almost 700 lbs lighter, but its hard to imagine a DI V6 getting any more than 18/26 MPG in the Camaro. Now they really have to consider the 2.0 T4 engine, but again, inside the Soltice its 19/28 (manual) and 19/26 for the auto, but the Camaro is sure to weigh more than the 2976 lb Soltice, so will the 2.0 T4 engine even be a viable option compared to the V6? There is a ton of variables we would could consider here based off the existing vehicles. If the LS3 V8 gets 17/24 in the Camaro with that cylinder shutoff feature I'm getting that one without question. I just don't see how fuel efficient enough GM could make the V6 or T4 engines to make me or many other people bypass the V8, right now the only major factors appear to be overally cost of the vehicle and insurance.

I somewhat disagree with this, have you seen Road & Track's Dodge Charger SRT8 numbers compared to MT? Road and Tracks numbers are ALWAYS faster than MT for some reason. I subscribe to both, the same was true for the Lancer Evo MR. I trust Motor Trend more than Road and Track. Never been too much of a fan of C & D though. Also, I have in Motor Trend the Cadillac STS with the DI V6 getting 0-60 at 6.4 seconds. I'll post the exact issue numbers for both really soon. I have soo many of those magazines stacked. I also have Automobile magazine so some of the number comparisons I found in there too.

Lastly, I don't think its possible for the DI V6 Camaro to run neck and neck with a Challenger R/T, you will lose at 0-60 AND 0-100. Maybe in 1/8 mile it could but the Challenger would just catch up to it and beat it.

Ok I found one example, Automobile Magazine, Sept. 2007 issue Cadillac CTS DI V6 304hp, 0-60 MPH 6.6 seconds 1/4 mile 15.1 (thats no better than a stock 3800 Camaro, Firebird with Y87 performance package). 0-120MPH 25.8 seconds! Therefore even in a Camaro that weights 450lbs less, there is NO way you will be beating Dodge Challengers R/Ts, even the V6 Challenger will give you a heck of a time. Maybe the V6 camaro can hit the 1/4 mile at 14.5 with a better exhaust etc. But I'm looking at every 100lbs being 0.1 sec or more off the 1/4 mile. Lets just hope GM leaves room for a S/C or Turbo this time for the V6 guys, that way they'll have an easier time upgrading and then finally whooping any Challenger R/T, SRT etc. But if GM can get the V6 to say 0-60 in 5.6 seconds stock, then we have a true winner with the V6.

No more V6s for me unless its the Porche 911 Carrera or the Nissan GTR, both of which will be out of my reach.
good point, but I disagree theirs no doubt thats the DI camaro would smoke the V6 challenger but even that might be a problem 3 years from know cause chrysler replacing all their v6's with some new phoenix v6 thats get 280-300 HP and with the 5-speed autostick....problem, can't see chrysler doing all this with out rising the price

and I'm a V8 man, and the only V6's I like are the ones in the Impalas LS to LTZ, there peppy the sound real good and if I had to drive a V6 it would be an Impala LTZ

P.S. I did not know the Porche 911 Carrera was a V6, cool

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #136
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I thought that that the 911 has a flat 6 ("boxer")?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #137
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Dark Eric, you seem to be an open-minded kinda guy...so I'll just touch on some of the things you spoke about.

Quote:
its hard to imagine a DI V6 getting any more than 18/26 MPG in the Camaro.
That's what it gets in the CTS, right? The CTS wieghs 3874lbs with that engine. We expect the V8 Camaro to be about the same weight as the most recent GTO, so about 3700lbs. In the G8, the difference between V6, and V8 weights of the car is 110lbs. And both the DI V6, and the regular V6 wiegh about the same.

So: a V6 Camaro should wieght somewhere around 3600lbs. That's at least a 250lb difference. Is it too hard to expect 18/27 mpg out of the V6 model?

Quote:
right now the only major factors appear to be overally cost of the vehicle and insurance.
Then you just hit the two primary factors that both have a LOT of say in the decision average buyers will make. Those, and percieved fuel economy benefits.

And, (I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a smartass or anything) believe it or not, not everybody wants the temperament and power of a V8. Some are scared of it, others look down on pushrod technology, still others just hear about a 'V8' in a car, and think 'evil' (for whatever reason)

Quote:

I'm not going to argue with your numbers...but I'll just say I think you underestimate this engine. Not a bad thing; just one more surprise in a few months.

Finally...This is probably me overthinking things -- but I still want to put it out there: I have a sneaking suspicion that GM is 'tampering' with the V6 for the Camaro...What I find very hard to believe is that they'd simply transplant the engine right out of the CTS...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #138
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Finally...This is probably me overthinking things -- but I still want to put it out there: I have a sneaking suspicion that GM is 'tampering' with the V6 for the Camaro...What I find very hard to believe is that they'd simply transplant the engine right out of the CTS...
lol don't every automaker do it

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #139
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
P.S. I did not know the Porche 911 Carrera was a V6, cool

That's because it's not, it's a flat6. Boxter style engine where the crank is in the middle of the engine block and the cylinders are horizontally opposed. The only V6 you'll ever see in a Porsche is the Cayenne, which is actually a gussied up Volkswagen Touarag.

I am really psyched up about the V6 Camaro. I will give it serious thought, which is something I would have never said a few months ago. Heck, for a while after they made the initial announcement that the Camaro was to return there were rumours the base engine would the the old 3.5 pushrod. Yikes! Might as well throw the old Iron Duke back in the thing

But this engine is going to be great. And essential to the success of the car. Great decision to the whole Camaro team, you too Scott!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #140
The CHINESE boy

Drives: dfg
Camaro hope to come to China as soon as possible! I urgently desire ......
The CHINESE boy is offline   Reply With Quote