Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #141
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
If they tuned the LS2 in the concept to 30mpg then what makes you think they could achieve the same or better for the production V8? Whichever that is?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #142
donwil

Drives: 1997 camaro z28
are there any pictures showing the new camaro with the b pillar? I think its a huge mistake not making it a true hardtop; donwil
donwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #143
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This was discussed, use the search to find out what we all think. Basically, it comes down to weight and cost for safety.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #144
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwil View Post
are there any pictures showing the new camaro with the b pillar? I think its a huge mistake not making it a true hardtop; donwil
check here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2438

And, although some may agree with you - I think when you see final numbers (weight, saftey tests, performance numbers because of weight, etc.) I think you'll change your mind.

As you can see in the photo in the link - the B-pillar can't be seen from the outside. So from the asthetics perspective, it's no biggie. And it will give the car a more rigid structure with less weight in materials, which will result in a 5-star crash rating all around, and a good advantage over a true hardtop in wieght.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #145
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Back to the V8 conversation. I'm thinking if there is only one V8 the first year, I will wait to buy it until there are other V8 options. It would have to be LSA numbers for me to by the first V8 available. Now, what I will do if there are two V8s.... I haven't thought that out yet...

Ok I come to the same conclusion. I will have to be damn near 500hp for me to get it. I really want one. But I want screaming power. Hopefully that kind of power will be available soon if not right away.

I waited and waited for Chevy to produce a 1/2 ton crewcab truck. Of which they were the LAST to do so... Now I'm waiting for a 30k 500hp Chevy musclecar. So, I'm picky... I know.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #146
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
+1

For me it'd better be closer to 500 than 400.

+1. This thing has got to be faster than the 4th Gen. Shoot, with a converter, intake, and exhaust I'm running mid-12s on DRs and I'll knock a few more off that when I test with my long tubes so I certainly hope for more than 450+. I think I could be happy with 450 with a supercharger though. Shoot, intake, catback, pulley, and tune and I'm sure another 100 horse could be safely squeezed out. I'm sure it won't be a problem for the Challenger to come out shortly with at least 425 horse, so we'd better have something upwards of that.

I hope...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #147
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Bye-Bye to GM’s V-8s - Car News

I saw this article on the Car and Driver website last week, and though it might be of interest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...8s.html?al=104
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #148
a12ozbottle

Drives: 2006 GMC Yukon
If I had to I would purchase a v6 turbo vehicle look at the syclones/typhoons and grand nationals, they were faster than most v8s in there time.
a12ozbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #149
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
I saw this article on the Car and Driver website last week, and though it might be of interest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...8s.html?al=104
All right gang.

No matter what side you are on, and I am in no way trying to pick a fight, the government just told you what can and can't have in your car. OK OK that's a little extreme but hear me out.

I hadn't read this article before. But it really summarized how the CAFE requirements will determine what we can and can't have. Now the automakers are stuck in the middle. Meet the customer demand for HiPo V8s and at the same time withstand all the government pressure. I know I just got done ranting about gas prices. So CAFE should be a good thing? No. It's not fair to the automakers. The government just shifted the responsibility from getting off foreign oil or moving to alternative fuels by forcing automaker to pick up the slack. It's too aggressive and it's not fair. I do believe that we will see 30+ mpg performance v8 someday but give them a fighting chance. Maybe I will have to recant some of my complaints that GM is using CAFE as an excuse... hmmmm.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #150
Mr. Wyndham

It's not nearly as bad as that...really.:(

It would be if the automotive environment stays as it is now (i.e. gas only). But we all know it's not - that's why it makes it damn near impossible to predict anything.

But one thing remains certian (although distant) Ethanol, Hydrogen, electric....they're all gonna change the market for the better. And our V8's will survive....don't worry
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #151
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I hope so. I can't say that I have the same faith as you though, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #152
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The most promising solution to CAFE as I see it is E85, so long as the loophole stays open. The assumption is that a flex fuel vehicle will use ethanol 50% of the time, causing its fuel economy numbers to double. A Cobalt averaging an actual 25 mpg ,with a flex fuel engine would get rated at 50 mpg. The Volt, I think I have heard that it will get 50 mpg when using its engine but would be rated at 100 because of its electric only propulsion method. So 100 mpg regular = 200 mpg rating on flex fuel. That would give GM a nearly 5 mpg 'bonus' for its vehicles, based on the sale of 100k of these Volts.

Odds are this loophole will get tightened up soon, perhaps changing the assumption to 25% running on ethanol. That still helps a great deal because nearly any car will then get the desired average economy numbers, all it needs to do is get 26 mpg or better then have a flex fuel engine. Basically, it is technically possible for GM to exceed the 2020 CAFE by the end of 2010 since CAFE doesn't care if your car is actually using ethanol or not.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #153
TurbineX-2000

Drives: 2006 Mustang
As a response to the news that there will be one V-8 available when the Camaro is released,it should be the direct injected,11.5to1,E85 compatible powerplant.Are you listening GM?
TurbineX-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #154
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineX-2000 View Post
As a response to the news that there will be one V-8 available when the Camaro is released,it should be the direct injected,11.5to1,E85 compatible powerplant.Are you listening GM?
They are....you don't need to keep asking.

The only issue with the DI V8 is timing. Can it be produced in time to offer it upon Camaro's release? Other than that - it's a no-brainer.