Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Mdejes3

Drives: 2012 VR SS Vert w/ CGM stripes
new exhaust on the way. need advice

Hey guys i have a '12 vert ss/rs and i was looking to install the mbrp catback 3" system. this will fit right? just want to make sure. and if anyone can post pics of there 3" exhaust on their vert that would be apprciated.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Wild Bill NY

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I don't have a very but I installed 3" Flowmaster AMT cat back exhaust by myself in my garage in an hour with no issues .
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I would have found out if it fit before it was on the way. Did you ask the place you bought it from? I have heard 3" systems will not fit the vert due to the extra brackets.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I would have found out if it fit before it was on the way. Did you ask the place you bought it from? I have heard 3" systems will not fit the vert due to the extra brackets.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdejes3 View Post
Hey guys i have a '12 vert ss/rs and i was looking to install the mbrp catback 3" system. this will fit right? just want to make sure. and if anyone can post pics of there 3" exhaust on their vert that would be apprciated.
Not to sound like a dick; but you really screwed the pooch not doing any research first... this is very well documented 3" systems don't fit... check out my thread linked below from February:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131860

Now; all is not completely lost- for those looking for cat-back 3", stainless works makes a brace to replace the factory tunnel brace and allow more clearance... dunno how it effects rigidity, but its out there... likewise I dunno how that effects the rear "V" bracing- that was another problem point for me.

Others have "bent" the rear bracing to accomodate specific exhausts, dunno if they were full 3" tho. But regardless, id seriously concider if you want to bend the bracing on a brand new car just for a sound effect.

There's several out there now designed for the verts... in MY opinion, your better off finding one made for it... I gave up my Flow Master infatuation and although I didn't get my "ideal" sound, was much happier with the fit and design of an exhaust built for this car. Keep in mind also- if you plan to change anything else down the road, such as headers, your tone is gonna change again...

P.S.- love your sig pic!

Last edited by Drago77; 12-14-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Mdejes3

Drives: 2012 VR SS Vert w/ CGM stripes
Wow I did not expect that long of a response and I truly appreciate the time you took to inform me about the exhaust fitting. Well I didn't order any exhaust system yet but I'm definitely in the market and I'm going to keep looking around. I really want a 3" system because I plan to do headers in the future and get maximum gains. I will do some more research and keep you guys posted. And thanks for the sig compliment, drago your car inspired me to get the gfx on the vert btw lol flawless automobile.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:

MdeJes3 – Good luck with the fitment. The convertible Camaros are a completely different animal in the rear with the extra bracing. The extra R&D we performed gave us the Flowmaster Outlaw and Force II Axle-Back kits. We’re still in the R&D process on possibly offering additional options in the future. If the kit doesn’t say that it fits a convertible, there’s an extremely strong possibility that it’s not going to fit. Good luck.

flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Wow I did not expect that long of a response and I truly appreciate the time you took to inform me about the exhaust fitting. Well I didn't order any exhaust system yet but I'm definitely in the market and I'm going to keep looking around. I really want a 3" system because I plan to do headers in the future and get maximum gains. I will do some more research and keep you guys posted. And thanks for the sig compliment, drago your car inspired me to get the gfx on the vert btw lol flawless automobile.
I know Stainless Works does a 3" w a special bracket, and if you check SUX2BU's threads, he has a 3" from a company im not too familiar with.

Headers are going to present a unique issue for you as well w the factory gfx... I originally kept my stock "non" gfx tips and had them welded onto the Magnaflow, sticking just barely out the bezel-looked great, but when the headers were installed, the added heat melted the rear diffuser above the metal bezel- that sucks! So I cut the tips off 4" deep inside the bezel, no more melting but the fumes are discoloring the plastic... I'm researching different options, but haven't found anything I'm completely sold on yet. Supposedly the square tips work, but I don't like the looks myself. Just a word of forewarning.

Back to the 3" tho... my club did a group SW header buy, all 1/7/8" off road... I dyno'd about 15 RHP higher with my 2.5" magnaflow comp and K&N cai than another club member_ with an ATAK 3" and Vararam cai... I was always told until you got into serious mods (superchargers, cam's, etc) that the back pressure put out from 2.5 is more than adequate, the 3 can actually cut down performance....

Hope this helps... my word is by no means gospel, just stuff I picked up through the club and my own research.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

BTW- my dyno comparison was against another LS3... I was 428 RWHP and he was around 415. The L99s were all in the high 390s/low 400s if i remember correctly... I was the only vert but all had different cat-back and cai combos w the same SW headers
Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I have heard the same thing, that going to 3" can reduce your power output unless you have a really built engine. I'm thinking of getting 1 7/8 long tube headers W/cats, no x pipe and then to the rear of the car with corsa.
v8 is offline   Reply With Quote