Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
They cut your eyeball open with a really big knife... with a serrated edge... then they take the tip of the knife and slice on your lens, then doc says..." Can you see better?" nope... wacks some more..."How about now?" nope... another slice..."Now?" yeah!, cool! "OK, good." Then he takes a sewing needle with cat-gut and sutures your eyeball back together... Nothing to it, can even be done at home in the mirror
Name:  huh.gif
Views: 500
Size:  322 Bytes
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
...Needs moar death star.

Wikipedia: "After it's decommissioning in 220ABY the Death Star was towed into Coruscantian orbit where it was turned into a museum of early Imperial might and a planet sized LASIK center. Unfortunately, when one of the emperors clones was tested to fix a degenerative cataract... the cloning machine had to be fired up again."
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
They cut your eyeball open with a really big knife, looks like Rambo's... with a serrated edge... then they take the tip of the knife and slice on your lens, then doc says..." Can you see better?" nope... wacks some more..."How about now?" nope... another slice..."Now?" yeah!, cool! "OK, good." Then he takes a sewing needle with cat-gut and sutures your eyeball back together... Nothing to it, can even be done at home in the mirror

I meant the laser one :p:

nice description to calm anyone whos doing the physical one
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
...Needs moar death star.

Wikipedia: "After it's decommissioning in 220ABY the Death Star was towed into Coruscantian orbit where it was turned into a museum of early Imperial might and a planet sized LASIK center. Unfortunately, when one of the emperors clones was tested to fix a degenerative cataract... the cloning machine had to be fired up again."
Name:  scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif
Views: 811
Size:  105.2 KB
Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Congratulations, I've heard great things about Lasik...and God, what I wouldn't give to be able to see without glasses. All the hassle, and not being able to wear sunglasses as often as I'd like...not to mention the ~$200 every two years for 6 years now...tell me over a lifetime Lasik isn't worth it.

Can you overview the procedure? I want to get it but....aw hell, I'm nervous as all getout...mostly because I haven't got a clue as to what happens.

hmm...this almost sounds like an invitation...to ban or not to ban....
Don't make me go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Yeah could you give a walk-through of the procedure? I'm considering but I'm a bit nervous. Also does it work for astigmatism?
It starts with a pre-operation appointment, where you are evaluated and determined a qualified applicant. They carefully look at your eyes, determine your prescription using the traditional eye chart, and take high-tech scans of your eyes. They will tell you that these scans are used to plot the laser points. If memory serves me, they said that the computer will plot about 25,000 data points to create a far more accurate reading of your eyes than reading lines off of a chart. They will give you a prescription for an eye drop that will help prevent infection.

Basically, they prepare you by explaining the procedure. They'll probably give you a hair net and covers for your shoes. I have no idea why I had to cover my shoes because I did not have to cover or replace any of my other clothing. You put on the scrub-like hair net and shoe covers, and they guide you into a dim room with a table and medical equipment.

They next tell you to relax. This is hard to do if you don't have a sedative because no one is used to being laid down and having their head under a huge piece of machinery. Take a few breaths, and they will then numb your eyes with eye drops. They will also add a drop of antibiotic in order to prevent infection. They also give you a drop to keep your eye hydrated for the procedure.

At this point, they place a patch over one eye and tell you to focus on the blinking light. This light is positioned in a circular apparatus above your head. It is used to focus the laser and alight it with the scans taken in your pre-operation appointment. Your eye, now held open, should be focused on the blinking light in the center of the circular thing over your head.

This is where it gets a little strange to describe. They place something over your eye that can only be described as a binocular lens. It does not distort your vision until they turn on the pressure. At this point, your vision shrinks and goes to black. This is terrifying for about 2 seconds, but your vision then returns. Remember that you can only see from this eye because the other eye is covered by a patch. The eye that has just been suctioned now gets peeled. A flap is created using the top layer of your eye. You do not feel this at all. Instead, you are focused on the fact that you are now incapable of seeing the blinking light. Everything is very fuzzy, so you should try to focus on the center of the circle. This is difficult, so focus very hard. Outside of the fuzzy, blinking circle is an array of blue lights that come with a very electrical zapping sound. Those blue lights are the lasers repairing your eye. This lasts for 5 seconds. They then replace the flap. You will not notice any visual improvement yet because you are focused on how they replace the flap. They use a tool that looks like a miniature paint roller. They roll your eye back together, place an eye patch over that eye and start the same procedure on the other eye. In all, it took about 5 seconds of actual laser sculpting, 5 seconds of suction, and a few more seconds of taping your eye open. Expect to spend no more than 1 minute on each eye.

When you sit up, you will see better than before LASIK, but your vision will get very foggy. The doctor describes it like being in a bathroom after a particularly hot shower. This will get worse after the procedure, and that is why you will need a driver after the procedure.

There is a post-operation appointment to evaluate your eyes the next day. There is another appointment after a week.

Apparently, it can help with astigmatism. The information they gave me said that it works for a lot of different eye conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
So shouldn't your name now be The_Clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Lasik the one that does NOT involve any cutting correct.. ?? Its the one where you just lay there and let this lazer go ape sh!t all over your eye... ?
The top layer of the eye is cut to create a flap. This flap has led my eyes to be bloodshot from the healing process. You do not feel this layer being moved. I understand that this is particularly freaky, but the doctors are very skilled at doing this. For them it is a very simple process. The laser does most of the work, but they need to get under the surface in order to sculpt the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
wait, it hurts?
After the procedure both eyes will get increasingly irritated. I highly recommend getting some serious nighttime medication and sleeping for as long as possible. When you wake up, eat, put drops in your eyes, and take more sleeping medication. You will not feel good after the procedure, but you will be so excited to see when you finally wake up that you will not care. You'll have dry eyes the next day. Keep non-preservative eye drops on you at all times.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
alright, how long did it take for your vision to come back?
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
that's awsum, I have 20/20 but wow 20/10... your doing good...

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #22
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I have 20/10 also... but I am young lol I can read the last line of the chart

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #23
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
alright, how long did it take for your vision to come back?
I slept for about 1 hour, then I woke up. My eyes hurt, so I tried to go back to sleep. This is where it paid to have sleeping pills or nighttime medication. I could see very well at this point, but my eyes were very sensitive to light.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #24
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Yeah I wouldn't be able to deal with the whole 'cutting' of the eye part... freak out and what not.. I had major issues letting my optometrist put contacts in one time.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Ahh! Just reading that made my eyes moist with fear. lol.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Don't make me go!
Oh, well...allright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It starts with a pre-operation appointment, where you are evaluated and determined a qualified applicant. They carefully look at your eyes, determine your prescription using the traditional eye chart, and take high-tech scans of your eyes. They will tell you that these scans are used to plot the laser points. If memory serves me, they said that the computer will plot about 25,000 data points to create a far more accurate reading of your eyes than reading lines off of a chart. They will give you a prescription for an eye drop that will help prevent infection.

Basically, they prepare you by explaining the procedure. They'll probably give you a hair net and covers for your shoes. I have no idea why I had to cover my shoes because I did not have to cover or replace any of my other clothing. You put on the scrub-like hair net and shoe covers, and they guide you into a dim room with a table and medical equipment.

They next tell you to relax. This is hard to do if you don't have a sedative because no one is used to being laid down and having their head under a huge piece of machinery. Take a few breaths, and they will then numb your eyes with eye drops. They will also add a drop of antibiotic in order to prevent infection. They also give you a drop to keep your eye hydrated for the procedure.

At this point, they place a patch over one eye and tell you to focus on the blinking light. This light is positioned in a circular apparatus above your head. It is used to focus the laser and alight it with the scans taken in your pre-operation appointment. Your eye, now held open, should be focused on the blinking light in the center of the circular thing over your head.

This is where it gets a little strange to describe. They place something over your eye that can only be described as a binocular lens. It does not distort your vision until they turn on the pressure. At this point, your vision shrinks and goes to black. This is terrifying for about 2 seconds, but your vision then returns. Remember that you can only see from this eye because the other eye is covered by a patch. The eye that has just been suctioned now gets peeled. A flap is created using the top layer of your eye. You do not feel this at all. Instead, you are focused on the fact that you are now incapable of seeing the blinking light. Everything is very fuzzy, so you should try to focus on the center of the circle. This is difficult, so focus very hard. Outside of the fuzzy, blinking circle is an array of blue lights that come with a very electrical zapping sound. Those blue lights are the lasers repairing your eye. This lasts for 5 seconds. They then replace the flap. You will not notice any visual improvement yet because you are focused on how they replace the flap. They use a tool that looks like a miniature paint roller. They roll your eye back together, place an eye patch over that eye and start the same procedure on the other eye. In all, it took about 5 seconds of actual laser sculpting, 5 seconds of suction, and a few more seconds of taping your eye open. Expect to spend no more than 1 minute on each eye.

When you sit up, you will see better than before LASIK, but your vision will get very foggy. The doctor describes it like being in a bathroom after a particularly hot shower. This will get worse after the procedure, and that is why you will need a driver after the procedure.

There is a post-operation appointment to evaluate your eyes the next day. There is another appointment after a week.

Apparently, it can help with astigmatism. The information they gave me said that it works for a lot of different eye conditions.
Wow...they suction your eye?! lmao. Does that part feel funny/painful? You mentioned the no vision part...but what about physical pain?

Geez...I had no idea what to expect, but your description is actually worse than I was expecting...still -- I want to do it. I can't put in contacts because I'm a fool and blink too much, but this actually sounds doable. Go figure.

Thanks for the writeup Blur.

EDIT: By the way...if you don't mind me asking, about how much does this procedure cost? Last time I read anything about it, it was ~$600 per eye. I wonder if it's gone down at all...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #27
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Lasik animation
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be able to deal with the whole 'cutting' of the eye part... freak out and what not.. I had major issues letting my optometrist put contacts in one time.
I could not do contacts. I have been wearing glasses for 10 years. Contacts did not work for me. Putting them into my eyes was an impossible task. This I could do. It is a little intimidating, but you can definitely handle this. If you can handle the doctor doing the pressure test on your eye at your annual optometrist appointment, then you can handle the opthalmologist performing laser eye surgery on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Ahh! Just reading that made my eyes moist with fear. lol.
While it might sound tough, it all goes by in a few seconds per eye. The procedure is easy, and your eyes are numb during the process. You can't feel it, and you get to reap the rewards of perfect vision later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh, well...allright.

Wow...they suction your eye?! lmao. Does that part feel funny/painful? You mentioned the no vision part...but what about physical pain?

Geez...I had no idea what to expect, but your description is actually worse than I was expecting...still -- I want to do it. I can't put in contacts because I'm a fool and blink too much, but this actually sounds doable. Go figure.

Thanks for the writeup Blur.

EDIT: By the way...if you don't mind me asking, about how much does this procedure cost? Last time I read anything about it, it was ~$600 per eye. I wonder if it's gone down at all...
The suction feels like a little bit of pressure. Try pulling on your eye lashes for a couple of seconds. It feels like that.

This is definitely more doable than contacts. I did it, and I could not do contacts. I tried, but contacts simply would not work for me.

The costs quoted in advertisements are wildly inaccurate. Those estimates are based upon perfect candidates. There are no perfect candidates. Nowadays, the best bet is a custom procedure based upon scans of your eyes. As a result, the price skyrocketed from what I expected to pay. I paid $2,800 for my procedure. They originally quoted me $4,200. I got my price because they were more willing to negotiate when I cancelled my pre-operation appointment due to the cost quoted to me in my initial visit with the facility. They probably figured that I was comparing prices, so they eagerly discussed taking some money off of my price. I had already talked them down to $3,150 during my initial visit. They then offered me a lower rate after cancelling.

I want to add that my eyes are still bloodshot from the procedure. I'm hoping that this goes away soon.

Tags
lasik