Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #113
SVT_SRT

Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
Because ill pay less tax on my Z28 =).

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #114
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
I like the way you think

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #115
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I adore the looks of it, but if it keeps the same engine set-up I'll be getting the HPE550 kit.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #116
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
forget all the z28 talk... when will we able to twin turbo our v6's???
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #117
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The GT500 is one fantastic piece of machinery, saying this it is very far ahead of any other Mustang before it. I actually juggled the idea of buying one a while back, but it only came in a manual and I wanted an automatic because of my drag strip intrests and what not. So I'm waiting on the Z/28's specs to be released to know rather to buy that, or go ahead and get the HPE550 package. IMHO, it would be a stupid mistake for them to put anything other than a LSA in the new Z/28.
why stupid to put anything other then the LSA? why couldn't they put the LS9 or a direct injection engine in it that puts out close to if not the same number on the sheet? seriously the lsa isn't the BEST option. it's a good one but not the best.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #118
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
why stupid to put anything other then the LSA? why couldn't they put the LS9 or a direct injection engine in it that puts out close to if not the same number on the sheet? seriously the lsa isn't the BEST option. it's a good one but not the best.
The LS9 is a supercharged variant of the LS3, same as the LSA. The LSA offers the smaller supercharger, a single heat exchanger, along with other smaller differences from the LS9. It would be the best considering it would be cheaper than dropping a LS9 in there.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #119
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

The LS9 is a supercharged variant of the LS3, same as the LSA. The LSA offers the smaller supercharger, a single heat exchanger, along with other smaller differences from the LS9. It would be the best considering it would be cheaper than dropping a LS9 in there.
BUT the ls9 has forged internals and can withstand higher amounts of boost. why would I skimp out on a pure performance car for an engine designed for luxury performance? the camaro is a pure performance machine not like the CTS. the CTS is luxury performance and as such should get the lsa which has a quieter engine and built for the guy that isn't truly going to see the full potential of that car. price is the only reason they would choose to put the lsa over the ls9 in the camaro. but think of it this way the more ls9's they build the cheaper the ls9 will be come.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Ah, I see. Well in that case, stop driving your GT500 and buy a 1991 Cavalier (or similar POS). They won't go down in value unless the price of scrap goes down. And neither will your GT500 since its not being driven. Win win, right?

No? Hmm. Never mind then.

Quote:
Maybe not the best, but 'optimal' might be more appropriate
Quote:
BUT the ls9 has forged internals and can withstand higher amounts of boost. why would I skimp out on a pure performance car for an engine designed for luxury performance? the camaro is a pure performance machine not like the CTS. the CTS is luxury performance and as such should get the lsa which has a quieter engine and built for the guy that isn't truly going to see the full potential of that car. price is the only reason they would choose to put the lsa over the ls9 in the camaro. but think of it this way the more ls9's they build the cheaper the ls9 will be come.
The only way I could see an LS9 coming in at the expected price point is if the engine (and rest of the drive train) were the only changes, and the rest of the car (including suspension) were decontented down to an LS. But that doesn't sound like a Z28. Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #121
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
Amen to that.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #122
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ah, I see. Well in that case, stop driving your GT500 and buy a 1991 Cavalier (or similar POS). They won't go down in value unless the price of scrap goes down. And neither will your GT500 since its not being driven. Win win, right?

No? Hmm. Never mind then.

Maybe not the best, but 'optimal' might be more appropriate

The only way I could see an LS9 coming in at the expected price point is if the engine (and rest of the drive train) were the only changes, and the rest of the car (including suspension) were decontented down to an LS. But that doesn't sound like a Z28. Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
I totally disagree with a supercharged Z and you know that. I would prefer a direct injection setup (smaller displacment higher out put) but the general concensus is that it will be FI. so with that I have to play devils advocate and play the LS9 card.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #123
a_Username

Quote:
It's not like it going to be the same exact engine. It's not like they are going to get a CTS-V, tear out the motor, and just put it into a Camaro beside it and slap a Z/28 badge on it. They'll mess with it, and I'm sure they can take off the sound restrictions. Plus they'll have to mess with the tune to increase HP to compete with the GT500. If we get the LS9, it's not going to be anywhere near as powerful as the ZR1's.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #124
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.
either your source is close to someone in gm or ....

wait a second, i got yelled at about all this last time we talked about a significant z28 topic by #3.

i should stop talking right now.

i should.

really.

(when was the last time we got show bits a pieces of parts of things that may or may have no turned into a camaro..... hmmmmmmm, maybe history does repeat itself?)
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #125
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #126
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
It's not like it going to be the same exact engine. It's not like they are going to get a CTS-V, tear out the motor, and just put it into a Camaro beside it and slap a Z/28 badge on it. They'll mess with it, and I'm sure they can take off the sound restrictions. Plus they'll have to mess with the tune to increase HP to compete with the GT500. If we get the LS9, it's not going to be anywhere near as powerful as the ZR1's.
forged internals are generally louder. and what will more then likely change with the engine is the intake box (not the manifold) and the exhaust. that's the parts that will change that will cause the HP numbers to either decrease or increase. the tune will go either way with it. there's only so much a standard non forged piston can take. and those are the weak links for the lsa.