Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Question Muffler Delete Questions

Hey everyone.

So, I have been thinking about doing a muffler delete and wanted some opinions on it.

1) Does it void warranty?

2) How is the sound from the exhaust on highway trips on like 6th gear @ 70 mph?

3) Any other modifications besides the delete which I should consider for a good exhaust sound without a complete and expensive overhaul of my exhaust system?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
A good exhaust system will usually sound better than a muffler delete, especially on the V6. I've heard muffler deletes on the LFX and the LLT and even Flowmasters and other lower priced axle-back systems sound better.

But it will not void your warranty for anything other than the exhaust. If you want louder exhaust on a budget, get axle-back by Flowmaster or Magnaflow. If you want the best sound, a full cat back system with x-pipe, resonator delete, and MRT v1 or v2 typically get the best sound out of the V6.

Check out the LFX engine/exhaust forum for more information.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
On my former 2011 Camaro I had the mufflers replaced with MRT V1. It was quite loud, saying this with out mufflers well thats just a whole new game. If you like loud and cabin noise then best to you. A friend removed his mufflers for the V8 and it sounded ok. Though a V6 with out mufflers is a totally different exp. I am not talking about what it sounds like. I am talking about the cabin noise, my MRT V1's were nice but the cabin noise was getting unbearable.
I would say save money buy MRT V2 and remove the resonator. That would be me if I still owned my other camaro.
Hey if you do decide to drop your mufflers, my recommendation is to hold on to them so that if you change your mind you can always weld them back.

BTW, if you do it maybe a video would be nice.

found this 2014 video
Old 12-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
I am currently running with a muffler delete exhaust system. No problem at cruise in 6th gear. Some people do not like the back firing on decel but I like it when she talks back to me! Can't wait to add headers into the mix!
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
I am currently running with a muffler delete exhaust system. No problem at cruise in 6th gear. Some people do not like the back firing on decel but I like it when she talks back to me! Can't wait to add headers into the mix!
The OP has a 6, you have a 8..... Apples and oranges.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
NorCalStorm

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
I had a muffler delete on my LT until I found a great deal on some Borla S type mufflers!! the Muffler delete sounds like a 750 or 1000 sports bike... thats the closest comparison I can think of! It really wasn't that bad but on cold starts I didn't like the overall tone that much. I would suggest a resonated x pipe and a nice set of axle backs. they are worth the extra cash
NorCalStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I too have a question, I called a local muffler shop here in NC, and they said if they did a Muffler delete I wouldn't pass inspection.

Is this horse shit or are they right? If they're right I'm going to save for some Borla Ataks
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't do it! I've heard 2 in person and it is pretty awful on the V6. Save your money and get a axle/cat back
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStorm View Post
I had a muffler delete on my LT until I found a great deal on some Borla S type mufflers!! the Muffler delete sounds like a 750 or 1000 sports bike... thats the closest comparison I can think of! It really wasn't that bad but on cold starts I didn't like the overall tone that much. I would suggest a resonated x pipe and a nice set of axle backs. they are worth the extra cash

Have you ever heard a bike like you reference? Doesn't seem like it. A deleted V6 sounds horrid. Worse than factory. Embarrassing to say the least.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
Buy yourself a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe for a little over $100 and then delete the mufflers ($200 or so) and for $3-350 you will be more than happy. Doesn't matter which aftermarket exhaust you put on the V6 it will never sound like a V8. Myself I just couldn't put up with a "ricer" sound from my '14 2LT and this setup definitely doesn't have it. There is definitely a certain amount of drone at low RPM's but nothing unbearable. I also have a cammed and blown SS with headers and American Thunder exhaust that scares Grandmothers and children that I'm comparing to.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Based on what some of you are saying, I will hold off on the muffler delete until I can get like magna flows. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any other ones, I will refer back to this thread when I go to make my decision.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I do not like the sound of muffler delete or other mufflers.it alaways screams v-6 and people will say its a 6 and it sounds cheap Sorry just my op.The factory sound is o.k. with me,I see people look my camaro over at redlights and really don't know what to think
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
NC_SS ...yes your car will fail inspection without a muffler
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Nole View Post
NC_SS ...yes your car will fail inspection without a muffler