Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #57
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I thought I heard that the Challenger was supposed to be at around 50k per year, and GM estimated between 80k and 100k for the Camaro. In all likelihood the Camaro will exceed those expectations (given their current pace) while the Challenger will fall well short of even the 36k you mentioned.
See, I don't think you read what I wrote accurately. They were making and selling just under 3000/month in 2008 (the R/T is a 2009 model year introduction). This year they haven't made a full production basically all year. It is unknown if they would/could sell 3000/month since they can't produce 3000/month. It would appear they are successfully selling every Challenger produced at this time though based on production vs the following months sales.

Not jumping on you, but you are sorta missing the logic part.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #58
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Im happy with my 04 Ram, I really hope chrysler sticks around and continues its legacy. Its been a rough couple years and folks like to kick you while your down but I think they'll pull out of it. Hopefully fiat will actually care about the future of the company instead of whoring it out for cash like diamler did. They need good ownership and management. Still holding out for my sublime srt8 chally.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #59
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
See, I don't think you read what I wrote accurately. They were making and selling just under 3000/month in 2008 (the R/T is a 2009 model year introduction). This year they haven't made a full production basically all year. It is unknown if they would/could sell 3000/month since they can't produce 3000/month. It would appear they are successfully selling every Challenger produced at this time though based on production vs the following months sales.

If they could build 3000/mo last year, they could do the same this year if the need was there unless there is some critical supplier who has gone out of business, thus restricting the supply of parts. If that isn't the case, the culprit is lack of demand for the car. Contrast this with GM who produced 10,000 Camaros in October and delivered a little over 8,000 cars to customers. They had to add a 6th day to keep up with demand, otherwise production would have been down to roughly 9000 units if they could maintain peak capacity. Sure Camaro demand will back off eventually, but the first thing they will do is remove the extra day and 'reduce' production to normal levels.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #60
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
If they could build 3000/mo last year, they could do the same this year if the need was there unless there is some critical supplier who has gone out of business, thus restricting the supply of parts. If that isn't the case, the culprit is lack of demand for the car. Contrast this with GM who produced 10,000 Camaros in October and delivered a little over 8,000 cars to customers. They had to add a 6th day to keep up with demand, otherwise production would have been down to roughly 9000 units if they could maintain peak capacity. Sure Camaro demand will back off eventually, but the first thing they will do is remove the extra day and 'reduce' production to normal levels.
Again, you can't compare this directly to Camaro.

However to answer your question directly:

Yes, they had supplier issues. Dodge has had a real tough time this year with Vanatram or whatever their name is and Plasteel? and Mercedes either going bankrupt or involving Dodge in suits and withholding product. Keep in mind they closed ALL plants at the beginning of the year for a few weeks due to the bankruptcy too.

At no time here do I think that Challenger would outsell Camaro. But I think a 3000/month sales target is pretty reasonable all things considered. I think people are nervous about buying a Dodge in general right now so that's going to cut into it, but they were selling 2600/mo through April with minimal overstock-and that was during the worst of the press. I know my Dodge dealer can't get Challengers and V8 Chargers into stock right now fast enough and Dodge people are frustrated and turning toward other marques.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #61
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
Hmmm. I feel as if this Marchionne guy has a good idea of what he is doing. But then again, I'm not quite sure if that's enough to save this company that in my opinion is on life support. It will be interesting, I don't really like that Fiat 500 that everyone is so in love with it seems like. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like it but hey to each his own I suppose.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #62
miami64

Drives: 2005 ram 3500, 79 trans am,
i been a dodge fan all my life love the ram, challenger, charger, viper. i own a dodge dually thats never given me problems...but i took it in to the dealer for a repair cause it was in an accident and they ended up using the same damaged parts and i took my truck back several times and all the tell me is that they fixed it right and that they dont know what i did to the truck after they gave it to me...i called chrisler and ended up taking my truck to a truck shop and it ended up being that my differential was bent and the left leaf spring was missing some bushings and it had other broken pieces....so i had to pay over 3,000 dollars for repairs out of my poket for a brand new truck that still has warantie and every repair was at the dealer...and what were chrislers word to me..."sorry theres nothing we can do about that" i hope they go out of business specially all the dealers in south florida

btw, i was about to get a challenger untill i sat inside a camaro and realized how cheap the interior of the challenger is, its plain and made of cheap materials
miami64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #63
Blownhotrodder

Well that sucks for you but why is that chryslers problem? Thats on the dealer not chrysler. Your insurance co also should have been involved with that. If parts were damaged as a result of an accident then it should have been fixed under that claim.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Again, you can't compare this directly to Camaro.

However to answer your question directly:

Yes, they had supplier issues. Dodge has had a real tough time this year with Vanatram or whatever their name is and Plasteel? and Mercedes either going bankrupt or involving Dodge in suits and withholding product. Keep in mind they closed ALL plants at the beginning of the year for a few weeks due to the bankruptcy too.

At no time here do I think that Challenger would outsell Camaro. But I think a 3000/month sales target is pretty reasonable all things considered. I think people are nervous about buying a Dodge in general right now so that's going to cut into it, but they were selling 2600/mo through April with minimal overstock-and that was during the worst of the press. I know my Dodge dealer can't get Challengers and V8 Chargers into stock right now fast enough and Dodge people are frustrated and turning toward other marques.
I'm sorry. I never knew the Challenger sales shouldn't be compared to the Camaro, I just figured since they are both pony cars taking their inspiration from the original muscle car era, being sold at a similar price, from companies that both went bankrupt (and had nearly all their factories close due to that bankruptcy), and both have had restricted production for various reasons, I figured they would be similar enough to illustrate the difference in sales. Guess not. Sorry about that. I'll stop.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm sorry. I never knew the Challenger sales shouldn't be compared to the Camaro, I just figured since they are both pony cars taking their inspiration from the original muscle car era, being sold at a similar price, from companies that both went bankrupt (and had nearly all their factories close due to that bankruptcy), and both have had restricted production for various reasons, I figured they would be similar enough to illustrate the difference in sales. Guess not. Sorry about that. I'll stop.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #66
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:

bingo
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #67
kevin2323

Quote:
you cannot compare sales figure of a 30k per year car to a 100k per year car. simple as that imo.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #68
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami64 View Post
i been a dodge fan all my life love the ram, challenger, charger, viper. i own a dodge dually thats never given me problems...but i took it in to the dealer for a repair cause it was in an accident and they ended up using the same damaged parts and i took my truck back several times and all the tell me is that they fixed it right and that they dont know what i did to the truck after they gave it to me...i called chrisler and ended up taking my truck to a truck shop and it ended up being that my differential was bent and the left leaf spring was missing some bushings and it had other broken pieces....so i had to pay over 3,000 dollars for repairs out of my poket for a brand new truck that still has warantie and every repair was at the dealer...and what were chrislers word to me..."sorry theres nothing we can do about that" i hope they go out of business specially all the dealers in south florida

btw, i was about to get a challenger untill i sat inside a camaro and realized how cheap the interior of the challenger is, its plain and made of cheap materials
i guess u like euro styled interiors......everyone has there preferences. i prefer the challengers simple interior. if i wanted neon lights and plastic everywhere i would buy a import.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #69
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
you cannot compare sales figure of a 30k per year car to a 100k per year car. simple as that imo.
My point is this, if the car had a demand of 100k thats what would be produced. But from the start, everyone knew that wouldn't happen, including Chrysler. When they developed the car, they knew that it wouldn't sell like the Camaro or Mustang, for various reasons. Consequently, they gave the suppliers an expected volume of 30-50k, not 80-100k, and they didn't add another shift at the plant to produce the cars, and so on. Looks like they did pretty well in their estimate for their product, as did GM. But if they made a car with more mass appeal, it would sell better. They didn't, and it doesn't.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #70
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
My point is this, if the car had a demand of 100k thats what would be produced. But from the start, everyone knew that wouldn't happen, including Chrysler. When they developed the car, they knew that it wouldn't sell like the Camaro or Mustang, for various reasons. Consequently, they gave the suppliers an expected volume of 30-50k, not 80-100k, and they didn't add another shift at the plant to produce the cars, and so on. Looks like they did pretty well in their estimate for their product, as did GM. But if they made a car with more mass appeal, it would sell better. They didn't, and it doesn't.
Can't say it plainer than that.

- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote