Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Became very upset today...I need help!

Dropped my 2010 SS off at the dealership today to get some transmission work done, and they gave me a 2012 Chevy cruze as a dealer loaner.

I started messing with the audio system, and I am amazed at the refined quality of the system in the newer GM models, and very dissapointed in the crappy quality of the BA system in the early model 5th Gens.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but I don't really want a loud sound system. I want something similiar to a system like the cruze, where the bass, the mid's and high's are crisp and clear.

What would be my best option?? I still haven't decided if I want to get an aftermarket subwoofer. Can this be achieved through replacing the speakers?
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Start by replacing the Boston Amp. It's beyond terrible. You'd be amazed at how much better it sounds with just a quality amp.

Another option would be a JBL MS-8. It's a system integration processor. It's also an amplifier. I have heard some mixed reviews, but most people love it. I have also read some stellar reviews online for it. I was impressed enough to buy one myself, and I have already replaced all of the speakers and amps in my car.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Pm sent
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Start by replacing the Boston Amp. It's beyond terrible. You'd be amazed at how much better it sounds with just a quality amp.

Another option would be a JBL MS-8. It's a system integration processor. It's also an amplifier. I have heard some mixed reviews, but most people love it. I have also read some stellar reviews online for it. I was impressed enough to buy one myself, and I have already replaced all of the speakers and amps in my car.
This.

My audio shop also told me to get a processor, and that it would greatly enhance the system.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I listened to a BA system once, and felt that the stock system sounded better. The BA system did have more bass, but worse sound quality overall. I know most people attribute the bad sound quality to the center speaker.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I don't think my BA has bad sound quality.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I only listened to it for about 2 minutes in another Camaro. There was noticeable distortion. It was one car, and it wasn't new on the lot. It is also well documented on this forum that the center speaker sounds terrible, and I'm sure that is what I was hearing.

I test drove a new Ram the other day, it had the base audio system. It was one of the worst audio systems I've ever heard. Far worse than the base system that the Camaro has.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

from what I've been lead to believe, there's two reasons for that. one is that the '12s came with a different amp. maybe not necessarily better, but more appropriate? the second is that it's tuned way different. the center channel is now turned way down and acts more as enhancement for the stereo channels, rather than sitting loud and proud out front as one would on a home theater system.

this information is stuff i picked up along the way on this forum and did not come from any source which i can confirm as credible. take it for what you will, but I certainly have noticed apretty marked improvement in the 2012 when A/B'd to a 2010 or '11.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Go on crutchfield, buy new front component speakers, install. Enjoy better sound. Simple as pie.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:

Mine sounds great. I am happy with it.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Go on crutchfield, buy new front component speakers, install. Enjoy better sound. Simple as pie.
As well as, change the stock BA amp to get WAY better sound
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
from what I've been lead to believe, there's two reasons for that. one is that the '12s came with a different amp. maybe not necessarily better, but more appropriate? the second is that it's tuned way different. the center channel is now turned way down and acts more as enhancement for the stereo channels, rather than sitting loud and proud out front as one would on a home theater system.

this information is stuff i picked up along the way on this forum and did not come from any source which i can confirm as credible. take it for what you will, but I certainly have noticed apretty marked improvement in the 2012 when A/B'd to a 2010 or '11.
You might be onto something here. I frankly can't even tell it the center channel does anything. I listen to popular music at higher volumes, and I must say, it does sound solid.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
ya i was saying the same thing. expecting a little more out of a 35k car. i wish gm went back to bose in all there cars.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by akCamaross View Post
ya i was saying the same thing. expecting a little more out of a 35k car. i wish gm went back to bose in all there cars.
A lot of people hate on the Bose systems, but my 04' Avalanche (with factory Bose subwoofer in console) sounds awesome. It's head and shoulders above the Boston system that was in my Camaro. It has excellent low end, midbass, mids, highs - it's been fantastic.

(Disclaimer - I replaced my factory Bose amp with the Bose amp and navigation head unit from an Escalade - it added DSP functions and just sounds better.)
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote