Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Stop it right there. Please don't turn this into another Mustang vs ZL1 thread.
I AGREE!!!!!!!
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Stop it right there. Please don't turn this into another Mustang vs ZL1 thread.
I agree, too many of those already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What I would like to see are torsional stiffness and other structural data. Many fully understand what a cage can do for a car, however, I've seen many comments from reviewers on how rigid CAMARO, AND ZL1 are. I can't quite suggest that the cage may not have improved the rigidity, however, it also added some weight, which offset some of that rigidity benefit. Does no one else wonder where the 3900 pounds go in SS? We know a lot of ZL1 comes from that Godzilla-sized pumpkin, which is purported to be significantly heavier than SS's chunk.

I think it's easy for people to gloss over the possibility of a lighter car benefiting more from a cage than a heavier car; the heavier car will have more strength as a result of having more mass, given the dimensions are similar. IRS will contribute to the addition of some of that mass, but I see the Mustang guys comment on adding a cage and suggest it magically makes ZL1's results significantly better than without. Given some commentors have also said the current generation Mustang chassis was only designed for a 300 horse motor would lend me to believe that it's probably not as rigid as CAMARO, so a cage would help it more because an overall lack of bracing.

I can't prove it either way, but stop trying to deminish these achievements. The car had more weight because of the cage and telemetry, and lost a little because of a lack of a few interior and trunk components (don't tell me a headliner and trunk trim are going to weigh more than the above), so, to me, it pretty nearly balances out. I can see the argument about different days and different drivers with differing conditions, but it is what it is. Don't come here constantly pointing out little things that have been explained before.

FWIW - I don't give full credence to a lot of the times from supercars. I think many of them are seriously misrepresented with many of the times listed. Also - I didn't know Ford to use the 'Ring too much in the past as much as GM has. While I would like to see more 'Ring times for comparison, I'm sure we're going to be getting some in the next couple months. The 'Ring has nearly become the paramount test track in the world to most major manufacturers. There are still too many variables to completely consider many of these times as factual.

I suggest Camaro owners watch "Holden Billion Dollar Baby" it explains alot of the advanced steel used in the VE/Zeta. You can find it on Youtube.

Many don't know when you add a supercharger, bigger brakes, addional coolers, HD driveshaft, HD halfshafts, ect you add weight. The ZR1 is heavier than the Z06, they also used CF to offset some of the weight.

Last edited by GM4lyfe; 02-14-2012 at 10:20 PM.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
For giggles, Porsche conducted their own test of the 2009 gtr and got a 7:54...
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yes, for $55,000 the ZL1 is one hell of a car.

What everyone needs to remember is that you cannot take two cars even within 5 seconds on the track and honestly say one is "definitely" faster than another. A breeze blowing the wrong way over a nearly 13 mile track will ruin the time.

AND....because no single governing body manages these runs...there are unlimited variables.

What the time CAN tell....is what these cars are capable of. What company they're in...AND boyyyyy can the ZL1 hang with the best of them!

What a car!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

What everyone needs to remember is that you cannot take two cars even within 5 seconds on the track and honestly say one is "definitely" faster than another. A breeze blowing the wrong way over a nearly 13 mile track will ruin the time.

AND....because no single governing body manages these runs...there are unlimited variables.

What the time CAN tell....is what these cars are capable of. What company they're in...AND boyyyyy can the ZL1 hang with the best of them!

What a car!!
Well said....
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote