Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Coolidge

Drives: Dodge 4x4 Hemi
My 50th birthday GT500 or ZL1?

I'm turning the big five-0 this year and thinking I may celebrate by buying myself a bad ass muscle car. I have researched both the GT500 and ZL1 and and there's one thing that bugs me about the ZL1, the engine. Come on pushrods? Not even forged pistons on a supercharged engine?

I went down to Ford last weekend and looked at a GT500 in person, man that engine is bad ass. Quad overhead cams, massive cylinder heads, 4 valves per cylinder, forged pistions, rods, crank, cast aluminum oil pan. That's what I would expect in a modern muscle car.

The ZL1 engine in the pictures looks kind of puny and dated. Sure its making HP but I can't help think I'm getting kind of out dated tech in the engine category with the ZL1.

Sadly I had to cross the GT500 off my list because hey Ford where's the rest of the freaking car? This is where the ZL1 shines, the engine aside its literally stuffed bumper to bumper with modern muscle car high tech advancements they really did a hell of a nice job on this car. It needs to shed a few pounds.

So I think I'm going to go for a ZL1, I just may have to about the pushrod motor until I get over it.
Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
chad551

Drives: fun
GT500
chad551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolidge View Post
I'm turning the big five-0 this year and thinking I may celebrate by buying myself a bad ass muscle car. I have researched both the GT500 and ZL1 and and there's one thing that bugs me about the ZL1, the engine. Come on pushrods? Not even forged pistons on a supercharged engine?

I went down to Ford last weekend and looked at a GT500 in person, man that engine is bad ass. Quad overhead cams, massive cylinder heads, 4 valves per cylinder, forged pistions, rods, crank, cast aluminum oil pan. That's what I would expect in a modern muscle car.

The ZL1 engine in the pictures looks kind of puny and dated. Sure its making HP but I can't help think I'm getting kind of out dated tech in the engine category with the ZL1.

Sadly I had to cross the GT500 off my list because hey Ford where's the rest of the freaking car? This is where the ZL1 shines, the engine aside its literally stuffed bumper to bumper with modern muscle car high tech advancements they really did a hell of a nice job on this car. It needs to shed a few pounds.

So I think I'm going to go for a ZL1, I just may have to about the pushrod motor until I get over it.
Pushrods have been a Chevy tradition for decades, now. All their V8 engines are configured this way, so it's not a ZL1-only thing. And while some perceived the configuration as old tech...it doesn't pan out when they consistently outperform the competition. Don't forget how easy they are to modify.

The LSA (engine's name in the ZL1) is mounted low, and aft of the front axle, lending itself to a near-perfect front/rear weight balance of 51/49...the competition may seem like it utilizes the more advanced engine, but there's more to an engine than just how the valves open.

If this is your only concern with the ZL1, I think you should jump on it - and learn to love the effective simplicity of the Chevy Small Block.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed this is your first post -- welcome to the website!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
This just in at the news desk: Its a ZL1 forum!

Later: 580 hp from a pushrod is just such a terrible way to drop the ball.

I'm not trying to overstep my bounds as a new member here, but we all know what you're going to get as an answer on here. Probably the exact opposite you would on a Mustang forum.

(just to clarify...the later segment is total sarcasm)
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:

Dated tech, are u kidding? It has the most advanced suspension in the world, PTM, no lift shift, dual mode exhaust. The gt500 is live axle for heavens sake. I agree i wish the LSA was forged, But your choice, and no doubt the new gt500 is going to beast to reckon with.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Hey, you're turning 50. I figured you'd bypass the muscle cars altogether and go for a 'Vette like so many others your age do!
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Coolidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Dated tech, are u kidding? It has the most advanced suspension in the world, PTM, no lift shift, dual mode exhaust. The gt500 is live axle for heavens sake. I agree i wish the LSA was forged, But your choice, and no doubt the new gt500 is going to beast to reckon with.
I'm guessing you stopped reading my post before you got to the part where I said the ZL1 is, "literally stuffed bumper to bumper with modern muscle car high tech advancements they really did a hell of a nice job on this car"
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Welcome to the site Coolidge... ZL1 FTW
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
My last built push rod engine with a single carb, on gasoline, no drugs and no forced induction...made 1070 HP. I would not look at push rods as a limiting fact. This was a lowly Ford motor sport A460 block with iron EX-514 heads and intake with a Pro-systems Dominator, crower solid roller, running on VP-C14 fuel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Coolidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Pushrods have been a Chevy tradition for decades, now. All their V8 engines are configured this way, so it's not a ZL1-only thing. And despite a perceived oldness doesn't pan out when they consistently outperform the competition. Don't forget how easy they are to modify.

The LSA (engine's name in the ZL1) is mounted low, and aft of the front axle, lending itself to a near-perfect front/rear weight balance of 51/49...the competition may seem like it utilizes the more advanced engine, but there's more to an engine than just how the valves open.

If this is your only concern with the ZL1, I think you should jump on it - and learn to love the effective simplicity of the Chevy Small Block.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed this is your first post -- welcome to the website!
Thanks. I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks as I researched. Great site by the way!

I'm old enough to appreciate pushrod motors. The only car I nearly shat myself in was my cousins big block late 60's Camaro while he was doing a burn out at 40 MPH so I know they make power. It was just a bit of a let down after researching the GT500 engine to find pushrods in the ZL1. And why did Chevy the cover up the super charger with that ugly red cover on the top? Tell me its aluminum at least and not plastic. About the only other thing that's irksome are $2,000 tire changes ouch!

In the grand scheme of things these are small issues. I love how Chevy has detailed pictures of all the drive train on their site. Ford...nope just the engine no surprise there. And a heads up display that's brilliant! I don't think a clutch is in my future I'd go with the automatic and paddle shifters...did 500 forum members just unfriend me? LOL
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Get what makes you happy. To me ZL1 is sexier IMO.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Thanks. I have been lurking on the site for a few weeks as I researched. Great site by the way!
Thank you! We take pride in our little corner of the internet, here!

I'm old enough to appreciate pushrod motors. The only car I nearly shat myself in was my cousins big block late 60's Camaro while he was doing a burn out at 40 MPH so I know they make power. It was just a bit of a let down after researching the GT500 engine to find pushrods in the ZL1. And why did Chevy the cover up the super charger with that ugly red cover on the top? Tell me its aluminum at least and not plastic. About the only other thing that's irksome are $2,000 tire changes ouch!
What if I told you the LSA in the Camaro underwent numerous 24-hour endurance track-testing events, a series of 600 clutch-dumps, and exceeded 270 consecutive hours of WOT testing without failure?

The supercharger is actually an inverted design (in case you didn't know), which means the rotors are in the valley of the engine. The black ribbed piece atop the engine is the inter-cooler, and the plastic engine-dressing covers the wires/hoses snaking their way across the top of the engine.

In the grand scheme of things these are small issues. I love how Chevy has detailed pictures of all the drive train on their site. Ford...nope just the engine no surprise there. And a heads up display that's brilliant! I don't think a clutch is in my future I'd go with the automatic and paddle shifters...did 500 forum members just unfriend me? LOL
The automatic is an awesome piece in this car! They've configured it to "pre-load" the hydraulics of the next gear, so paddle-shifting is instant. It's a good choice!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Coolidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Hey, you're turning 50. I figured you'd bypass the muscle cars altogether and go for a 'Vette like so many others your age do!
Ahaha age humor, go to your room and by the way your grounded.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
This just in at the news desk: Its a ZL1 forum!

Later: 580 hp from a pushrod is just such a terrible way to drop the ball.

I'm not trying to overstep my bounds as a new member here, but we all know what you're going to get as an answer on here. Probably the exact opposite you would on a Mustang forum.

(just to clarify...the later segment is total sarcasm)
I see this is your first thread... I suppose you're here for our side of the coin then? I'd go ZL1, and there are a million reasons why. But the biggest one may just be bias. Gotta do some research man, at least you're in the right place for that.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote