Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #267
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
MikeSS Give it up....these guys with Pony cars will never admit they dont have a Muscle Car. They base their claim to fame on HP comparisons to old 64 to 72 cars rather than a tried and true standard set forth by National organizatons for use in Car shows and competitions. For those that awknowledge that their is absolutely nothing wrong with the Pony Car class. And that the Camaro is clearly at or near the top in that class today. For those that purchased the upgraded Performance product and are in the Muscle Car class.
I for one would rather be at the very pinnacle of my class than at the very very bottom one that it does not belong in.

For the guys that want to base their class on HP...Post up the class standards that you are basing this on...Please.!

This is not rocket science....Google it "Definition of a Muscle Car" Duh!

PS: Mods do not cause a car to change original classification either...Just sayin.

Dont believe any of this...Go out and try and enter your car in a real car show sometime and see what the judges have to say. Maybe you can convince the guys at a cars and coffee show or one at a Sonic resteraunt but you wont convince the judges at a Good Guys event or similar one.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #268
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
i think i've said this before, the camaro (v8 or v6) is not a muscle car. it never has been, it isn't now, and it never will be.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #269
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
IMO they really don't make muscle cars anymore. These cars today I would describe as being sports cars.
Muscle car(IMO): 2-door hardtop, big pushrod V8, made to look good on main street and haul @$$ on the drag strip(even though we all know they weren't going all that fast on factory rubber in the 60's) Handling/Brakes/MPG being an afterthought at best. And I really can't think of any car like that in production today.
Just because then engine is more efficient now a days and make twice the hp of the muscle cars of the 60's.early 70's doesn't mean its not a muscle car. Sports cars back in the day were underpowered but handle good. Now we have muscle and handling and a car that is 100% better than it ever was before. There was a muscle car era no doubt but we are now in the modern muscle car era. Big blocks with massive weight and underflowing heads is what they were if you really look at it. We get so much more power out of less cubic inches these days it isn't even funny.

I own a 1970 muscle car as well, but there is not comparison to todays muscle or handling. Its reduced to a Sunday driver and the real muscle is in the 99 Camaro SS. 440 Plymouth vs 457 LS2
440= 1970390hp @ 4,700490tq @ 3,200 (some sources say 3,600

My 457 is pushing close to 750 hp. The 440 makes a lot of torque but not hp...LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #270
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
got to love how many people compare new models to old models. if the v6 camaro had 500HP and it was faster then a v8 camaro i still wouldn't call it a muscle car. i would call it a sports car. and whats wrong with that?

guys stop comparing your cars to older v8s plz stop. its not a fair fight.

lol ok my SS has more power then a 1970s ferrari. so i guess my car can be labeled a super car right? because it can beat a super car 30 dam years ago. o and my car is faster then 1990s corvettes. do i go bragging about that ?
Very good points. I believe the problem is most people don't understand what a muscle car really was. I bet that most of the people arguing weren't even alive back then. Like I said before none of us have in the original sense of the word have a muscle car.

This is a muscle car in the truest sense of the word.
They don't exist anymore.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #271
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
While we're the topic of extinct cars....

I want one of these with such a passion....(only with four doors...)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #272
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
While we're the topic of extinct cars....

I want one of these with such a passion....(only with four doors...)
I had the same exact car except it was butternut yellow with white interior.

I hope you were kidding about the doors.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #273
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Having grown up in the muscle car era I think I have a good idea of what it was all about... The Ferrari was a sports car, not muscle or even a super car. Super cars are modern although the Superbird at 180-200mph from the factory was a supercar if you ask me. I had a 71 Challenger RT at 19 as well as a 72 Chevelle at 18 and have the GTX now.
Muscle was engine power and thats it. Bad handling was just a benefit...LOL
We have modern muscle now with good handling... do the car look the same?? Not even close and you dont die by hitting a tree at 35 mph anymore either so yes there are some distinct differences from back in the day but dont confuse that with a term.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #274
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Very good points. I believe the problem is most people don't understand what a muscle car really was. I bet that most of the people arguing weren't even alive back then. Like I said before none of us have in the original sense of the word have a muscle car.

the truth.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #275
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I hope you were kidding about the doors.
Not at all. I find something attractive about the "4-door coupe" look this generation of Imapala had...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #276
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not at all. I find something attractive about the "4-door coupe" look this generation of Imapala had...
To each is own brother. My how times have changed though.

We used to make fun of 4 doors now they are the ride of choice. I'm a little like that with the new CTS-V. I sorta of like the look of the four door better then the two door version.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #277
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
To each is own brother. My how times have changed though.

We used to make fun of 4 doors now they are the ride of choice. I'm a little like that with the new CTS-V. I sorta of like the look of the four door better then the two door version.
Well...to be fair, I really don't like any other four-doors... MUCH rather have a coupe, generally speaking.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #278
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
MikeSS Give it up....these guys with Pony cars will never admit they dont have a Muscle Car. They base their claim to fame on HP comparisons to old 64 to 72 cars rather than a tried and true standard set forth by National organizatons for use in Car shows and competitions. For those that awknowledge that their is absolutely nothing wrong with the Pony Car class. And that the Camaro is clearly at or near the top in that class today. For those that purchased the upgraded Performance product and are in the Muscle Car class.
I for one would rather be at the very pinnacle of my class than at the very very bottom one that it does not belong in.

For the guys that want to base their class on HP...Post up the class standards that you are basing this on...Please.!

This is not rocket science....Google it "Definition of a Muscle Car" Duh!

PS: Mods do not cause a car to change original classification either...Just sayin.

Dont believe any of this...Go out and try and enter your car in a real car show sometime and see what the judges have to say. Maybe you can convince the guys at a cars and coffee show or one at a Sonic resteraunt but you wont convince the judges at a Good Guys event or similar one.
i think i am going to take your advice
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #279
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The v6 nor the v8 truely fall in the muscle class. That title belongs to the old hot rods. Today's camaros are a new age sports car
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #280
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
The v6 nor the v8 truely fall in the muscle class. That title belongs to the old hot rods. Today's camaros are a new age sports car
Well said.

Closed Thread

Tags
muscle car, pain is game, rant, v6 muscle, v6 vs. world