Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #71
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
the EPA is way off on the v-6 mustang. EPA says i should get 24-25 highway. I am here to tell you that i consistently get 27-28 highway.......and yes i am a hard driver.

so dont always believe what the EPA says
If the EPA says 29 that means that I'll consistently get 31+. The EPA is an ESTIMATE. It can dip or increase depending on how you drive.

Don't speed and use your cruise control often and the V6 Camaro can easily go above 31mpg.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #72
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I do mostly city driving though.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #73
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Okay so I know the V6 was only suppose to get 26/27 MPG on the highway, but honestly at 29 (which is fantastic) why isnt it 30? Maybe I just like round numbers but I think this would fall right in line with their ability to really market this car if they could say it got 30 MPG. Not only would you be able to advertise it more but when people look for calls it puts it in a whole other category for fuel economy. Once again Im not complaining and think its great it gets so much but seriously just a little boost and its on a whole other level
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #74
DurKNesS

Drives: Toaster
I just know I'm torn between the V6 and V8 because of the 1/4 mile times and gas mileage. I had an '84 with the '85 iroc motor and it ran 15.00 in the 1/4. I had fun with that car but it only got about 15 mpg...lol. The new V6 is 14.50 and has the awesome mpg......stuck on what I want now.....thanks GM!
DurKNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #75
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
just one more reason to want this beautiful thing called Camaro.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
Okay so I know the V6 was only suppose to get 26/27 MPG on the highway, but honestly at 29 (which is fantastic) why isnt it 30? Maybe I just like round numbers but I think this would fall right in line with their ability to really market this car if they could say it got 30 MPG. Not only would you be able to advertise it more but when people look for calls it puts it in a whole other category for fuel economy. Once again Im not complaining and think its great it gets so much but seriously just a little boost and its on a whole other level
+1. A bittersweet moment, I think, when they recieved the results. 29!! "Awesome!!! That's much higher than we thought....but it's not 30..." :(

I think in the future, they'll make the car just a bit more slippery, and 30/31 EPAmpg on the highway won't be difficult to acheive.

I think about it, though...my Cobalt was rated at 31hwy when I bought it. It's a four-banger, 150hp little engine. The Impala, with a non-DI, low-output V6 is rated at 29mpg......the Camaro has a beastly 304hp V6 and STILL maintains a 29mpg rating.....holy crap...seriously?!

Can you imagine if they tweaked it to get 30mpg, this car would become one of Chevy's 30+mpg-club members? In the same list as the Aveo, Cobalt, and Malibu...Take THAT "muscle-car" naysayers!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #77
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I almost wish I was younger and doing the daily drive grind. That v6 would be puuurrr fect for the highway grind a lot. With some steelies for that comfort of a fatter tire.

Funny how in some ways that's better than top of the line SS.

Depends on how the sun is shinin' on ya.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #78
Rake

Drives: 2007 Mustang V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
6.2 Liter with 6 sp auto trans -- 16 City -- 25 Hwy.

<snip>

The Camaro SS with V8 and Auto Trans STILL has better
Hwy mileage than:

Audi TT 3.2
Audi S5
BMW M3
Mustang V6
Challenger/Charger SRT8
Mazda RX8
Eclipse GT.
Erm... my '07 Mustang V6 auto is rated at 26 highway, while you list the Camaro V8 auto as rated at 25 highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
There are likely a number of mods that increase mpg while being relatively cheap. On my Mustang, for instance, the Screamin' Demon Coil + LiveWires mod gets you 1-2 mpg for $200. I think making a similar setup standard on the V6 Camaro, with no increase whatsoever in MSRP, would be worth it in exchange for being able to market the car at 30 mpg.

Heck, I'll bet that single act could have trumped any complaints about building a muscle car, and consequently gotten the Z-28 produced.
Rake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #79
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake View Post
Erm... my '07 Mustang V6 auto is rated at 26 highway, while you list the Camaro V8 auto as rated at 25 highway.

There are likely a number of mods that increase mpg while being relatively cheap. On my Mustang, for instance, the Screamin' Demon Coil + LiveWires mod gets you 1-2 mpg for $200. I think making a similar setup standard on the V6 Camaro, with no increase whatsoever in MSRP, would be worth it in exchange for being able to market the car at 30 mpg.

Heck, I'll bet that single act could have trumped any complaints about building a muscle car, and consequently gotten the Z-28 produced.
If I were to do any ignition upgrades, it would definitely be MSD all the way.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #80
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake View Post
You are right, but you are also wrong.
2007 used a different formula, translated into the current one the 2007 Mustang V6 is rated 25 highway for the manual and 24 for the auto. Overall this means the Camaro SS gets practically the same mpg's as your Mustang V6. If you compare current 2009 Mustangs and 2010 Camaro SS automatics the Camaro SS is 16/25 vs the Mustang V6's 16/24 while manuals have the Camaro SS at 16/24 vs the Mustang V6's 17/26, so depending on the comparison you choose either one could be rated higher, with the overall slight advantage to the manual 'stang. I'm sure Ford is working to catch back up for 2010/2011 though so it should be interesting.

Personally I find it quite funny to compare MPG's between these models as nobody is buying a Camaro SS because it's an econocar but it is impressive on GM's part, and the numbers are high enough to actually be a nice bonus selling point vs the competition (Mustangs and Challengers with V8's). MPG's are something that don't matter a ton on the initial interest for a car like this, but good ratings can really help with getting the buyer to pull the trigger and actually buy the car.

Last edited by Tal; 03-19-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #81
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
<snip>
MPG's are something that don't matter a ton on the initial interest for a car like this, but good ratings can really help with getting the buyer to pull the trigger and actually buy the car.
Quoted for truth. And to get it through congress.
- Xanthos

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #82
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I don't think an MSD ign will help this engine. It's already as good as it get's for it's size.

True that MSD are good folks. I wish I had the $500 to drop on an MSD Optispark myself. But GM and Chevy have really improved there ign systems recently. As long as the wires and componets are in good shape prob no need to upgrade.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #83
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I don't think an MSD ign will help this engine. It's already as good as it get's for it's size.

True that MSD are good folks. I wish I had the $500 to drop on an MSD Optispark myself. But GM and Chevy have really improved there ign systems recently. As long as the wires and componets are in good shape prob no need to upgrade.
Oh, I didn't say I would buy one - just that if I were in the market for an ignition upgrade, it would be MSD. I was responding to Rake about his screaming demon ignitions comment.

Maybe if I could work out a way to do the individual coils thing like the LS1.
- Xanthos

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #84
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
The LLT is Coil on plug so there are no plug wires to upgrade.

That 29 MPG is based on Regular Unleaded ... probably 10% ethanol too.

Run Ethanol Free regular, Premium, or Ethanol Free Premium and you should be able to break the magic 30 number.

Where I live we still have ethanol free gas available in both 87 & 93 octane and this is all I run in all my cars & equipment. Not sure how much longer it will be available (fed & most states that have not already done so are talking about implementing a 10% mandate), but I'll be running it until that day.

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote