Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
2010 Camaro naysayers listen up

I originally wrote this as a response to a Camaro5 member that was voicing their "displeasure" with the the 2010 Camaro, specifically the plastic in the interior but it appears the thread has been removed. But for any doubters out there, here is my take.
I guess I could use an oft used Harley saying "If I have to explain, you'll never understand." But I won't. There is no "perfect" car or anything else in this world for that matter. For good and bad, every car produced today incorporates plastic to some extent in it's construction. Having lived with my 2SS/RS for 5 months now, yes there are some minor details I wish GM/Chevrolet had addressed differently ( like less understeer and body roll ). At age 52 I'm not new to this game and I've owned arguably some of the most sought after examples of American muscle and pony cars including 2 - 69 Z28's, GTO's, 427 Corvette, Trans Am, Mustangs etc. I've driven many of Europe's finest including BMW, Porsche and Ferrari. I'm extremely fortunate in that I can own just about any car I desire and when it came down to it I was torn between a new ZO6 Corvette, a new 2008 Shelby GT ( not supercharged ) and the 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS. Since buying the Camaro ( my wife and sons voted Camaro which helped ) I haven't looked back. We are very fortunate that in today's "green conscience", post financial bubble, GM bankruptcy world that GM/Chevrolet is able to produce a car like the 2010 Camaro. Many on this board have talked about the celebrity status they've experienced owning the new Camaro. I've experienced much of this notarity too and at times I have to admit it boarded on annoying UNTIL I realized what the new Camaro really is to all of us, a real "John Q public" enthusiast driving machine. As these folks spoke to me about their past experiences owning a Camaro, I could see the joy come over their face and that unmistakable glint in their eyes that we all get when circumstances and or memories lift us from the everyday to a better, higher place. By looking through a glass half full versus half empty viewpoint, this car ( along with the Chevy Volt ) are game changers for GM/Chevrolet, USA and the auto industry. The Camaro lost its way in the 90's and early 2000's, fact is the reason GM stopped making them is they couldn't sell enough of them to warrant continuing. At that time GM/Chevrolet thought ( wrongly ) the "John Q public" enthusiast driving machine days were over. Fortunately there are enough visionaries left at GM/Chevrolet able to see where the Camaro needed to return to ( its roots ) and they have the will and drive to get it to market. For anyone on the fence, you are missing one of life's better experiences by nitpicking, get out and drive a new Camaro and have some fun. Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
For anyone on the fence, you are missing one of life's better experiences by nitpicking, get out and drive a new Camaro and have some fun listing to the creaking and wind noise.

There .. fixed it for you!

Crowley
Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Very well said! Thank you, I feel the same way and so do alot of other people on this forum I am sure. I love my car and would NEVER pick it apart, it is perfect in my eyes.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
2Fast4U2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS
ED,

Well said I too have been on the track for some time. The Camaro is one fine machine, I've had mine since June and I'm still happy as heel with the quality.
2Fast4U2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Ed,

Thanks for the post. As you point out, this is more than just a new car. This is a statement to the world that the American automotive industry is not dead. I sense that people look at the car and think, "Wow, just like the old days. We're back." It's true.

(And, I can't wait to see the Volt.)
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Sorry, but you are wrong on the plastic interior. I'm sure they did it to keep price down. But the plastic isn't even coated in a rubber/leather mixture. It's hard plastic and it's horrible. Especially the center console/cup holder portion.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Nicely said.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Oh yeah!

Because no other cars on the road have a bunch of plastic in the interior.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
The car is amazing and the emotion you get driving them is almost like an exotic. People will be bitches,,,,,,,and for them they built Mustangs lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong on the plastic interior. I'm sure they did it to keep price down. But the plastic isn't even coated in a rubber/leather mixture. It's hard plastic and it's horrible. Especially the center console/cup holder portion.
What do you expect for $35k, a Rolls Royce? I think they did a fantastic job and I absolutely love mine; plastic and all.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
What do you expect for $35k, a Rolls Royce? I think they did a fantastic job and I absolutely love mine; plastic and all.
A few of us need a lesson in Trade-offs. Like.....Brembo brakes vs. Leather.....
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Good Job Ed, you hit the nail on the head....
Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I just have a few thoughts;

Most Important - as our esteemed Mr. Settlemire has said on numerous occassions, "You cannot please everyone."

Everyone would be "up in arms", if the Camaro came in, priced out of the price range of the majority of its target market. Some cost cutting measures needed to be taken. If you look at the entire picture, GM provided us with an exceptional car. We all need to be reminded of that at times.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and I hope they can be expressed here, with respect, and NO name calling, personal attacks, etc., occuring.

Lets all remember; GM brought our beloved Camaro back. And IMO, they did the best job possible in providing us a truly remarkable car, priced so that just about anyone and everyone can afford one.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote