Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #57
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Ha ha, newfs! To those of you who don't know about them, they are some of the nicest people in the world but they get made fun of in much the same way as rednecks. They have a very fast manner of speaking that sounds like a cross between irish and fisherman slang. A good example can be found in this commercial for the nissan x-trail: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3m-y-qAbp...elated&search=

wow off topic. . .
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #58
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
I don't know what you're all talking about, Southerners have no accent. Everyone else does...................
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #59
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ha ha, newfs! To those of you who don't know about them, they are some of the nicest people in the world but they get made fun of in much the same way as rednecks. They have a very fast manner of speaking that sounds like a cross between irish and fisherman slang. A good example can be found in this commercial for the nissan x-trail: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3m-y-qAbp...elated&search=

wow off topic. . .
CAMARO will have more mpg than that nissan. But the accent gets me everytime
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #60
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
That's right! Southerner's speak music! And I guarantee you I have the worst southern accent of anybody on here, because people always comment on it! lol But I love it!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #61
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Hello everyone, new to the forum...

Remember, the GM V8 gets GREAT fuel economy already in the Vette. Making 400 (and now 430HP) it gets high 20's in the highway so while the Camaro will weigh more (sadly) it should still get great fuel economy for the power and engine it is.

I predict, the V8 will probably get 18/27 since they are most likely going to use DOD technology. I currently own a lovely RX8, rotary powered, and the EPA rates it at 18/24 which I average 19mpg city in so if I can reach 22 mpg in mixed driving in my next car (5th Gen Camaro) I wont complain.

I know alot of people don't trust the EPA numbers, but I've never had problems reaching and beating their numbers. Yup...even in my gas hog rotary.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think they just reworked how they get the milage numbers so that it is akin to what the average person can expect. But with properly inflated tires, regular maintenance . Some poeple go nuts with this stuff, mainly hybrid drivers, these people can go out and get better millage than is advertised. From wiki
Quote:
Maintaining an efficient speed is also very effective in keeping mileage up. Optimal efficiency can be expected while cruising with no stops, at minimal throttle and with the transmission in the highest gear. For most cars these conditions are satisfied at a speed of approximately 35 miles per hour although, this is below the minimum permitted on most roads that have no stops. Therefore, maximum efficiency is obtained while driving the minimum legal speed on a freeway. When accelerating, the engine should be kept in the peak of the torque curve, this is usually at around 75% throttle. A slow acceleration is less efficient. Brakes are designed to dissipate energy and should be avoided whenever possible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecodriving
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #63
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
^In conclusion...lol, fuel economy is reliant on so many factors (type of fuel {some areas put Ethanol in it}, driving conditions, and driving habits that the car is just a cog in the gears that produce total fuel economy.

Note: But thanks for that, while wikipedia is suspect at best (lol), because I tend to drive kinda sorta like that when possible.

Beat it to death = sucky EPA numbers
Drive it like a grandma = higher than normal numbers (minus no fun)
Find some type of middle ground = reach EPA and have fun too
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The EPA has re-vamped the numbers a little to be more realistic to todays driving habits. After all, they've been using a 20 year-old system.:eek:

Here's an example, from Chevy.com

I remember that last year's impala SS was said to get something like 17/27 mpg.

Well, the 2008 model now is expected to get 16/24...

Now it doesn't mean that it gets poorer fuel economy, it means that it's actuall fuel economy is being represented better.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #65
juzlookzfazt

Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
Im to lazy to go through the posts, maybe someone stated it earlier, who knows lol, ill just say it again if not said already. Didnt GM say they are going to put the Active Fuel Management system in the 5G Camaro motor? Being able to shut down 4 cylinders for better fuel economy? (although using 4 cylinders to haul around a heavy car may be going against its goal of fuel efficiency, but its alot more attainable rather than using all 8 cylinders)

EDIT: GM was one of the first to make AFM systems, so Im pretty sure they have something up their sleeve, especially considering they were trying to achieve such high-in-demand MPG ratings for the 5G Camaro. They already have it in the Envoy, Trailblazer, Impala, and Monte Carlo. And they dont only have one, but two different designed systems. Now, its not provide awesome jaw-dropping results, but it does work.

For the lazy ones here is a small introduction text for the link below.

"Active Fuel Management (formerly known as Displacement on Demand) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors. It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy. EPA tests show a 6% to 8% improvement in fuel economy, but real-world highway use promises even larger gains.[citation needed]

GM's current Active Fuel Management technology uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters on selected cylinders of a pushrod V-layout engine."

Wikipedia FTW! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #66
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
The Camaro is supposed to have AFM from what I understand. I know the concept does, it does have "Active Fuel Management" printed on the engine. Of course, it does also say LS2 and people seem to doubt that's going to happen.
I believe it is also planned (or at least a rumor) that it is going to have VVT (Variable Valve Timing) as well. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, basically changes the camshaft profile to suit the speed/RPM necessities more properly.

EDIT: It is possible that all of this will change. The concept is a concept and it does appear that the LS2 is being phased out. It is most likely that it will get the LS3, the L76, or the L98. I'm not sure which of these engines have AFM, I know the L76 does and believe the L98 does as well. No clue on the LS3.

Check the Engine Speculation/Discussion section for more detail.

Last edited by Other Side; 08-10-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Side View Post
Check the Engine Speculation/Discussion section for more detail.
That's probably your best bet.

But here's what I know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Side View Post
The Camaro is supposed to have AFM from what I understand. I know the concept does, it does have "Active Fuel Management" printed on the engine. Of course, it does also say LS2 and people seem to doubt that's going to happen.
I believe it is also planned (or at least a rumor) that it is going to have VVT (Variable Valve Timing) as well. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, basically changes the camshaft profile to suit the speed/RPM necessities more properly.

EDIT: It is possible that all of this will change. The concept is a concept and it does appear that the LS2 is being phased out. It is most likely that it will get the LS3, the L76, or the L98. I'm not sure which of these engines have AFM, I know the L76 does and believe the L98 does as well. No clue on the LS3.
From what I understand, the L98 isn't a contender. don't ask me why...
The LS2 is being phased out, this has been confirmed by our resident powertrain expert 3whiterag. So of the remaining engines they could put into the Camaro, both the LS3, and the L76 have Active Fuel Management. The LS3 does not have VVT, it could get it later in life though...The L76 does have VVT.

That's the main reason I wouldn't mind the L76, although not as powerful, VVT and Active Fuel Management is formidable team for both fuel economy and power.

What AFM does is shut down 4 cyllinders under light load, or highway speed conditions. That's the key. You don't have a choice, and it won't shut them off as your pulling away from a stoplight. Unless your pulling away REALLY, REALLY slow... So it helps fuel economy in this way.

As for 4cyllinders hindering fuel economy...I believe the Malibu is heavier than this Camaro is supposed to be, or at least the same wieght, and it gets a 4-banger, which achieves 34mpg hwy....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #68
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
I could care less what the final MPG is for the v8 camaro. It will only be driven for fun not to get great gas mileage. So if it gets 10mpg then thats what Ig et for having a lead foot.
SSMUFF is offline   Reply With Quote